• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Paying subs by BACS

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hi all
I would like to start offering this, and I was wondering how everyone runs it. At present we do termly payments three times a year by cash or cheque.

I think the options are
1. Parents make one off payments online three times a year

2. Parents set up a standing order for a monthly payment that pays all year round.

How do you manage yours?

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
we do it termly, parents must email or tell us in person that it has been paid, or I keep pestering them for subs. also to put as a reference ' Flossie D spring subs'

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our parents pay subs by standing order. (A few families have bank accounts that do not allow this so still pay cash.) It works if the reference is "subs Flossie MacFloss" and if they set the end date as the girl's10th birthday (they can change it later if necessary). Where it falls down is if they leave and forget to stop it - one month is ok as I send a reminder when the next statement comes in, but I'm still getting subs for a girl who moved 18 months ago and who isn't getting my calls / letters, including letters sent through all the schools she may have gone to. The bank tells me there is nothing I can do. But otherwise, it's really easy to lookdown my statement and see who has paid, with little cash to count / check / bag up and bank.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Agree with Growly, we offer it as an option for all payments. Just make sure you have access to the statements online or monthly to keep tabs on who has paid as opposed to who says that they've paid.

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Encourage this as a great help and saves the faff at beginning of term. Essential to just make sure they do ref "Flossie - Big Gig", "Flossie - subs", etc. Also ask them to text or email when they have paid - I then email out to say that I have seen it. Have set up online access to bank account so that I can monitor who's paid - don't just rely on them saying they have. I record it in the accounts with the reference as the automated credit no - eg Flossie subs - AC1234.

princess

Beginner (10+ posts)
We do, as well as using the Guide's name and a word which relates to the payment, e.g. Subs, camp etc, we also encourage our parents to drop us a message via our closed group Facebook page to confirm when they have made payment. We record it as a direct credit in the Guide Account spreadsheet on the receipts and the banking pages.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
If you were to try get all/the majority to pay by BACs, then do you personally have enough money if you need to pay for something but don't have enough change in the cash tin (Craft or resources etc) This was my main problem when we did it in the Scout group I was part of - I was constantly having to claim things back as no-one paid in cash!

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
If you were to try get all/the majority to pay by BACs, then do you personally have enough money if you need to pay for something but don't have enough change in the cash tin (Craft or resources etc) This was my main problem when we did it in the Scout group I was part of - I was constantly having to claim things back as no-one paid in cash!
You shouldn't be keeping money in cash anyway - or not more than a very small amount. Much cleaner to pay everything in and claim expenses back.

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Hi all
I would like to start offering this, and I was wondering how everyone runs it. At present we do termly payments three times a year by cash or cheque.

I think the options are
1. Parents make one off payments online three times a year

2. Parents set up a standing order for a monthly payment that pays all year round.

How do you manage yours?
I offer both options - and also payment three times a year by cheque. I don't encourage cash, although we do get some, as it is too easy for them to think they have paid when they haven't and I don't have time during a meeting to be writing out receipts.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
May I suggest that, if money I paid into the bank, there I an evidence trail at both ends and so there is no need for a receipt to be written? I only write receipts for cash.