• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Penny Walk

Hi,

I am new to this site to sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum!

I am a Guide leader based in Gloucestershire and currently have a unit of 11 Guides.

I am thinking of planning a penny walk for during this term, however I do not exactly know how this works so I was just wondering if anyone with experience of this could let me know how you run this activity in your units please.

Thanks!

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
we have done this a few times with brownies it is as above post says but sometimes with a bit of poetic licensing ( altering what the coin says so we don't end up miles away) we are doing this in a few weeks and asking the girls to bring in a packed tea and ending up at the local park so we can have a picnic

NosilaC

Regular (50+ posts)
We do this most summers with our Brownies and end up at the chip shop (putting back on all the calories we've just walked off!). As Sandra100 says, it does need creative thinking sometimes to end up where you want to be - options we've come up with are:
* best of 3 (or 5) throws
* selective choice as to what counts as a 'turning' - fortunately there are several paths and alleyways near the chip shop that can count as turnings (or not) depending on what we need the answer to be
* realising we've made a 'mistake' in whose turn it is to throw the coin
Of course all the girls know where we're going to end up so they're happy to collaborate with the subterfuge!

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Urgh! Last week we did a penny hike: the girls said 'we always end up at the swings!' being clever but actually right as they love the swings.... and basically jinxed us. We can do a little massaging of the outcome once we're off in one direction or another, but we ended going in circles and reached no further than 1/4 mile from the hut at any point. We passed the hut 4 times.
.worst.penny.hike.ever.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Urgh! Last week we did a penny hike: the girls said 'we always end up at the swings!' being clever but actually right as they love the swings.... and basically jinxed us. We can do a little massaging of the outcome once we're off in one direction or another, but we ended going in circles and reached no further than 1/4 mile from the hut at any point. We passed the hut 4 times.
.worst.penny.hike.ever.
We don't try to 'work it' at all, and have never ended up at a swing park yet - but we have sometimes started out with a 'spotter bingo' list, so the girls can try to spot certain things en route - because we don't know where we'll be going we can never be sure of how easy it will be to get 4 corners, a line, or even a full house!

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
In all fairness we are a very small town with lots of tiny swing parks among the houses so the odds of avoiding swings or a slide althgether are pretty slim..but Thursday was just awful. Right and right and right again....

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
we are doing this on Wednesday but we are getting the girls to draw a map en route of where we are going and any landmarks they are bringing a picnic as they know we will be ending up at the park

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Was thinking of trying a penny hike in out local woodland park as it has lots of well marked out paths ( and no traffic) but I've never done one before. I'll be doing this with Guides aged girls.

Do you let the girls go off in patrols by themselves or do you have an adult with each group? We're planning to have a picnic and ice creams at the end but how do you make sure all the girls get back to base on time/ by the end of the meeting? Sorry - lots of questions.

Batty Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Regarding getting back to a particular place on time, I've usually just said 'At 7 o'clock, (or what ever time suits) check where you are and take the most direct route back to---- '(where ever they need to be) and they usually do manage it. A map helps.