• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

PGCE and Guiding

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
I did my PGCE in 2006-2007 and loved it - finding a job is hard but it was fab it was a hard year but a fab one and well worth doing. i managed with guiding whilst i did my course....it was like a break from doing the work etc and gave me something to talk about etc at interview and on my |CV my mentor at my second placment said i did many interesting things in my spare time...he meant guiding!
X

snowdrop101

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Jennifer, Guiding is what kept me sain durring my PGCE too, it was like stress release and fun. Even though many people think your crazy and not having a break, its hard to explain that guiding is your break. lol

*alli*

ooooh Im now Brownies GiC!!
i did the same but my PGCE was a lil while ago lol!
it was something that allowed me to escape for 2hrs a week and meant that i could run around being silly and realise that actually yeah the kids arent that bad lol!!!!

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I continued going to Guides right the way through my PGCE, even if it meant getting back at 9pm hten sitting and working for another hour or so. As we meet on a Monday, I tried to get as much of Tuesday's preparation done over the weekend also.

It did mean I couldn't contribute to the unit as much as I would like to have done, but hopefully this will change. Though I am still going to hold off doing too much, as I am about to start my first term as an NQT, so don't want to take on too much extra at the moment until I have properly found my feet at school. At the end of the day, Guiding is my hobby, but teaching is my career, and Guiding won't pay the rent and bills!

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Jennifer, Guiding is what kept me sain durring my PGCE too, it was like stress release and fun. Even though many people think your crazy and not having a break, its hard to explain that guiding is your break. lol
someone who feels the same as me...i also was heavily involved in guiding whilst doing my degree as well....i was at 3 units but still lived at home and commuted etc...i know when i was doing my finals my DC's nan wasn't well so she asked me (we worked at 2 of the same units and i always helped hee) so she had to rush back home. my dc asked me to do the district round up for the agm and i was like yep i'll do it but she was like your finals....and i was yes but it won't take me long and it is a break from working etc.....

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
I continued going to Guides right the way through my PGCE, even if it meant getting back at 9pm hten sitting and working for another hour or so. As we meet on a Monday, I tried to get as much of Tuesday's preparation done over the weekend also.

It did mean I couldn't contribute to the unit as much as I would like to have done, but hopefully this will change. Though I am still going to hold off doing too much, as I am about to start my first term as an NQT, so don't want to take on too much extra at the moment until I have properly found my feet at school. At the end of the day, Guiding is my hobby, but teaching is my career, and Guiding won't pay the rent and bills!
yep that is right jen when we were going away of rteh wkd i had to do twice as much work the wk before so i was prepared etc in advanced....where is your job etc?

i finsihed my PGCE in 2007 and in the October of 2007 i got a job for 2.5 terms on a contract doing maternity cover so did 2.5 terms of my NQt - that was fab....however obviously that came to an end,.....last academic year i did supply which was ok but not regular etc and not as much pay!!

having said that i did have three good stints on the supply...one for 3 days a week of r4 weeks to cover an op but the school knew me as i had had an interview there
also 2 months at a sixth form college (that was interesting)
and 5 weeks at a secondary school....

loved it all but a job is needed....i need to finisih that tiny bit of my NQT!!! one place i was interviwed at whilst i was on my contract wanted one or the other a full nqt or m1....and i was in the middle...interetsing though but why did they interview me? but they did give me supply when a teacher had an op.

A more recent interview told me i love to far away....but it wa sonly a year maternity cover and only 20 miles away......i travelled nearly that when i did my 2.5 terms mat cover....

ahahahha

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
My school is not far from Keele uni - Keele use it for placements, though not my subjects at the moment. It is a permanent contract, so if I survive my NQT year, I can stay there. It's also an 8 minute drive from my flat, but in a different catchement area - fantastic!!

*alli*

ooooh Im now Brownies GiC!!
I cant get to my ppt on rules at the mo hun, for sum reason the cable for my hard drive has gone for a walk.....

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
Don't worry about it. I sat and wrote out a set of my own anyway!

I hadn't thought of putting them into a PPT, but I have done now. Four different ones - two French and two Spanish, one of each for KS3 and one of each for KS4!

Plus a copy in word to be printed and photocopied to stick in their books.

miss-dancey-pants

Veteran (100+ posts)
I carried on with Guiding during first half of my PGCE but then I decided when I moved from Exeter to Plymouth for my 2nd placement I could not carry on. However I did guiding throughout my degree with a lot of success and now it keeps me sane even if guides is on a Friday night. Much prefer my previous unit of rainbows they are so much simplier to adolescents but I enjoy both.

Just got to finish my queens guide. I took my years break whilst I was on PGCE as thought it was just madness to carry that on.

Nic

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
My original plan was to do a PGCE this year, but for various (non-guiding related) reasons I've had to postpone it until September 2010 and look for work for another year. In some ways it's frustrating but part of me is hugely relieved I'm not having to try and juggle PGCE with all the centenary stuff going on this year. I don't think I could have managed to keep up with both!

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
Possibly a good decision - I did really feel like I put my life on hold last year. I know this year will be as bad, but I am going to try and really get tough on myself to make sure I get as much as possible done in my frees, and have my evenings back a little bit!

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Well, I wouldn't have postponed going back to uni for guiding, but in a way the timing has worked out quite well!

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
You may find as i have done and do that some of the things you have already created can be reused or well just adapted.....that helped loads but i was also more adventurous when i had my job and brought various other things into my lessons that i previously would never have dreamed off....i tried to use my frees but i was put on cover a lot .....yes even though i was on a temporary contract i was given tonnes and tonnes of covers... and then i made the mistake of saying to my year 12 and 13 that they could come in whenever i had another sixth form class or a free or PPA and you guessed it they normally did either that or i was helping the teacher across the corridor with her pc and interactive whiteboard games. My evenings were usually free but i did plan at weekends etc and on a Tuesday now that was hectic....we were in until 5pm as directed time often some form of meeting but that was one of my guiding nights....and i would get home at 6pm change, eat quickly as i was really hungry by then and be at brownies for 6.30pm!!

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Could someone please confirm that Guiding counts as experience towards PGCE - I've just had a meeting about doing PGCEs and was told that you must have experience IN SCHOOL.

I'm thinking of doing a PGCE in UWIC (I want to live in Cardiff), does anyone know what it's like there??

Alwyn

Beginner (10+ posts)
I've just got a place on a PGCE for September and the only experience I had with children was Guiding and helping on a Young Enterprise scheme. I'm a career changer, so don't know whether that had an impact on their decision to give me a place but I was advised to try and get some time in a classroom as a lot of things have changed since I was at school (I'm only 27, but I know things are very different!).

You don't need much, they say 2 weeks is plenty.

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
that is great experience - i did also in the last year of my degree before i started my PGCE a day a week voluntarily in a primary school and a bit of work also voluntarily in my old sixth just tp bump up my application

guiding does not count as days experience though for pgce missing days - they were very clear on that

BeccaSooty

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
I'm starting a PCGE in September and the bulk of my experience is Guiding related. When I went for my interview although i had (just) arranged to volunteer 1 day a week in a primary school, I didn't actually have any experience in a school at the time, and I still got a place.

It is a requirement that you have at least 2 weeks experience in a school before you start your PCGE, but not necesily before you go for the interview! And it doesn't have to be 2 weeks straight I'm just doing 1 day a week until the end of the school year.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
You can't count Guiding instead of work experience, as it isn't the same

The place I had my first interview did want the work experience before, but allowed me to do it after as I was in Scotland still but applying for a PGCE in England, so we decided that waiting and doing work experience in an English school would be better