• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Promise ceremony ideas for mixed age group

Hi all
We're having a Promise Ceremony next week for the whole District (girls aged 6 to 14yrs) and just looking on the web for ideas. I have a few ideas in my head to, but it's always nice to hear what others have done. So, what did you do for your Promise ceremony/ies this year??

TIA :)

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
most districts/areas did one for the finale? but we had a dvd for that...

at least everyone's promise is the same now apart from rainbows (which will still have to say theirs separately! brownies can just slot their extra "brownie" in easily before the words "guide law")

no idea on how to pad out though, as the saying of the promise won't take long... unless you just have a campfire type evening? sing some traditional guiding campfire songs?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
What sort of numbers would there be - if it's only a dozen or so in total, then it's possible for each individual to make their Promise by themselves, many more than that and it would really need to be done in groups to avoid it being too boring for the rest.

Things you can do to make it more fun are:
To have it in a different location (swimming pool/climbing wall/local place of interest/top of a hill/whatever)
To have it at a different time (dusk, dawn, midnight, noon . . .)
To have special effects (real/battery candles, campfire, sparklers, christmas-tree light)
To have it at a special event (at a large event, with special people present, as part of a theme night).

Hi all
We're having a Promise Ceremony next week for the whole District (girls aged 6 to 14yrs) and just looking on the web for ideas. I have a few ideas in my head to, but it's always nice to hear what others have done. So, what did you do for your Promise ceremony/ies this year??

TIA :)

Every year we all renew our promises for our St George's Day,

From the littlest Rainbow/Beaver right up to 18 years of age in turn.
A section leader will stand and ask all present and past members to stand and remake their promise.
Takes approx 10 minutes to do every section in turn.
past members are usually parents, relatives and friends - everyone is quiet for each section - a solemn occasion

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Everyone renewed their Promise at the District Thinking Day held this year. One of the activities was to decorate a battery tealight with bling, stickers and permanent pens.

At the end of the event, we gathered together in a large circle, we all lit our tealights and sang This Little Light ... holding the tealights.

Several trefoils were laid out on the floor using hoops so then each section came forward, unit at a time, set down their tealight around a leaf of a trefoil. Once they were all laid, one person from each section stepped forward and lit a central (real) candle on a table in the middle in their section colour with the words "I light this candle for ...." (see attached - this bit was for everyone, Rainbows through to Trefoil so easiest words to Rainbow etc). Then each section renewed their Promise, section at a time.

Was really lovely :)

Attachments