• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Queens Guide Award- Community Action

I'm currently planning my Queen's Guide Award and was thinking of doing around Stroke Awareness but has anybody any ideas on what Practical/ Research I could look into on this topic?

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
What sort of background do you have? I.e. is anything medical an option for you, or would you be organising for someone else? I'm thinking that our local Rotary club organised a Stroke Awareness day - in that they had some nurses set-up in a local coffee shop doing blood pressure checks (probably much more!)

Not really... i know of a few people who have had a stroke so was thinking i could do research of people who have strokes in the UK and compare the numbers to those in diff countries etc then maybe run a marathon for chest heart and stroke for the practical part?

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
b) Your aim
Think about what you want to achieve from your practical and research projects. It doesn't matter if you are researching an issue to inform your practical project or vice versa, but deciding this in advance will help.

That's the extract from the syllabus .......
So, what are you looking to achieve from the research project?
Is the concept of a different rate of incidence across different countries something the charities / medical research companies haven't really concentrated on - so this is a new idea? Would you plan working with one of the charities so that they could develop your work. How many is the "few" folk you know - would there be enough to make this statistical research, or is it going to be more anecdotal? Do you have an idea of why there might be a different rate already - and are looking to prove or disprove that; or are you setting out to find that out?

I was thinking of doing research on strokes... facts about strokes, how many people in NI/ UK/ internationally have a stroke each year etc
Explain how to show signs of a stroke
what people do to try and recover etc
how many people fully recover from a stroke
what can you do to reduce risk of stroke
and what support you get

Then id present these findings to guides and give them knowledge about it as well as asking a local nurse to come speak to guides and show some resources they use in hospitals to treat stroke patients and as well as that get a group to run a marathon for chest heart and stroke

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think your research needs to be more than a fact finding mission, it should prove or investigate a hypothesis or do something novel as chopper chick suggests. Discuss this with your qga as she will be able to guide you to a more suitable idea.