• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Rainbow "Campfire" Songs

HGarnett17

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Our unit really likes to sing but struggle to think of new songs. I wondered if anyone else sung with their rainbows and the types of songs they sing.
We sing some nursery rhymes as nearly everyone knows them and I taught them animal fair before the summer holidays.

Any ideas for easy to learn campfire / traditional guiding songs???

Abby

Regular (50+ posts)
We tend to find that the easiest songs to do with Rainbows are sing and repeat ones, where you sing a line and then they copy. Means that they don't need to remember all the words each week and doesn't matter if you have new ones!

A lot of our songs are really old (our LiC has been guiding for over 50 years so has a large repetoire!) but many can be found on youtube as said above. Our faves are:

Animal Fair
Flea Fly Flow
Boom Chicka Boom (a personal fave as you can repeat the verse in silly accents, i.e 'like a pirate', 'like the queen' 'like a Frenchman')
Yogi Bear
Penguin comes to tea
B.I.N.G.O
Grand Old Duke of York (with girls marching, and going up and down in time, then a second verse where they have to do the opposite)

The easiest song we sing is called La-Di-Da, but doubt you will be able to google that! It's to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel:
La di da di da di di da
La di da di daaa da
La di da di da di di da
Whoops! La di da da

They kneel down in a circle and go up on the Whoops! Works well in a round. Hopefully you can get the gist from those "lyrics", just read them as they are!

Just be warned, the girls seem to have a talent for liking and requesting the songs you hate to sing, so make sure to introduce only good ones!

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Boom chicka boom.
Alice the camel.
We don't really do songs. Ours like running around too much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crashworld

Beginner (10+ posts)
My Rainbows love The Farmers in his Den. Its always the first one they ask for.

We also sing
Elephants have wrinkles
Alice the Camel
My Ship sailed to China

This term I am going to teach them a couple of new ones - Penguin comes to tea and the Princess Pat

crashworld

Beginner (10+ posts)
Our unit really likes to sing but struggle to think of new songs. I wondered if anyone else sung with their rainbows and the types of songs they sing.
We sing some nursery rhymes as nearly everyone knows them and I taught them animal fair before the summer holidays.

What songs/nursery rhymes do you sing? Am looking for some new songs for my girs too.

BGleader

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus

For the younger girls (or new members) I think repeat-after-me songs, action songs and songs with similar verses are the way to go.

Here are some favourites of my Brownies that would work with Rainbows. They all have simple actions.

Baby Bumblee Bee
Heads, Shoulder, Knees and Toes
Alice the Camel
Yogi Bear
Beaver song

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Anglia Region have a Rainbow songbook which is full of lots of good songs (I believe there is a CD which goes with it too). I'm sure it will be on the shop section of their website.

amy246

Veteran (100+ posts)
I tend to leave the songs to our other Rainbow leader (she's a music teacher with a much better voice and repertoire) but our girls love -
Baby Bumblebee
Crazy Moose
Cookie Jar
Bear Hunt
Big Fat Pony
Plus any others they request/we feel like throwing in. We have a party CD with some action songs on that we sometimes use to burn off excess energy whilst saving our voices/letting us get stuff ready.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
have you ever seen a penguin/zombie come to tea.
don't know the zombie version (know and very fond of penguin version) - how does zombie vary or is it same actions and just insert "zombie" for "penguin"

actually thinking it might be good one to sing at halloween! lol