• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Re jiggle of Peer Ed

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
So earlier this year it was announced that after feedback Peer Education was being changed slightly. If I remember rightly it was
that:
*the existing skill and topic packs should no longer be used, and that whilst we could honour existing bookings at the time of receiving the information we shouldn't make any new ones.
*We could still use the DofH Risky behaviour/ teen health and Dove Free Being Me though (although FBM seems to be the only one mentioned now)
*More topic packs would be added in the future (?)

My other questions are:
*Any one heard anything about new topic packs?
*Can we still be used to assist leaders when covering issues or running an activity that they feel that they need a "peer" (although I never was asked for this and saw it as a bit impractical so would see why it would be quietly removed!)
*Although I didn't use this, that it is no longer an option to create a topic pack for QGA
*Although it was only quarterly (?) I can't remember the last time a 4X4 came out!

I am posting for conformation as I can't find the email or any info for love nor money! Thanks in advance!

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
So earlier this year it was announced that after feedback Peer Education was being changed slightly. If I remember rightly it was
that:
*the existing skill and topic packs should no longer be used, and that whilst we could honour existing bookings at the time of receiving the information we shouldn't make any new ones.
*We could still use the DofH Risky behaviour/ teen health and Dove Free Being Me though (although FBM seems to be the only one mentioned now)
*More topic packs would be added in the future (?)

My other questions are:
*Any one heard anything about new topic packs?
*Can we still be used to assist leaders when covering issues or running an activity that they feel that they need a "peer" (although I never was asked for this and saw it as a bit impractical so would see why it would be quietly removed!)
*Although I didn't use this, that it is no longer an option to create a topic pack for QGA
*Although it was only quarterly (?) I can't remember the last time a 4X4 came out!

I am posting for conformation as I can't find the email or any info for love nor money! Thanks in advance!
Why don't you just email 4cast (if that's what they're still called) and get the information straight from the horses mouth...

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have emailed 4cast about something unrelated (to do with my QGA) but have yet to recive a reply to my message, but was warned that there was some staff change over. :/

I will send an email and when I get the reply will post it up here :)

pdell-smith

Regular (50+ posts)
I was really disappointed when I heard about the changes...
My most popular session by far was, funnily enough, with Scouts, helping them to complete their fitness challenge (a badge they have to complete to earn their Chief Scouts Gold Award - the highest award in the Scout section).
I would cover the parts about showing an understanding of the importance of a sensible and appropriate diet, need for sufficient sleep, explain the dangers & harmful effects of smoking, alcohol & drugs.

I know this wasn't all covered by one topic pack, but it fitted into a few, so I sort of designed my own sessions around several. This helped the leaders hugely as it is a difficult topic to cover & using the info from PeerEd stuff, I could cover it much better than they felt they could!

But according to the changes, I can no longer run this session... and that makes me sad! I have helped hundred of Scouts through their fitness challenge & helped many many leaders in the process - I expect I will carry on doing it, just not under the PeedEd name...

I did write an email to send to 4CaST, but never sent it as it felt a bit 'cross' at the time.

I'd love to offer Free Being Me, but living in North Wales & being a teacher in an independent school (I teach on Saturday mornings!) there's no way I can get to a training - so I'm feeling pretty left out by it all!

Sorry about the bit of a rant - I'm sure you all understand how I feel though!

GirlFromMars

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have emailed 4cast about something unrelated (to do with my QGA) but have yet to recive a reply to my message, but was warned that there was some staff change over. :/

I will send an email and when I get the reply will post it up here :)
I’ve sent a few emails to 4cast too (about other stuff) and never once heard back except the auto email that says they will get back to me in 5 days….

Kattikit

Regular (50+ posts)
I've always had a reply from 4cast before, though I haven't sent them anything for a while and it's usually taken ages to get a response.

Haven't heard of any new packs for a while. Just FBM, Healthy Relationships and Youth Health (you should be able to get HR & YH if you email 4Cast). If memory serves they didn't want to use any QGA written ones any more because they wanted new ones to be written in partnership with experts, ie Dove and Department of Health. Though an email to 4Cast should hopefully clarify this!

Just checked my emails - the last 4x4 I got was back in Dec 2013, but there's been a few emails since then about FBM and body confidence.

I've run a couple of Free Being Me sessions and they are a really good thing to run. But I must admit I miss the variety!

Edit: I found the email sent out about the changes!
In the future, we want to build 4 (peer education) with professional resources which will enable high quality sessions to be run for our members. Over time new resources will be developed on relevant topics, which will be created after discussing with the girls what they need to know about, and there will be opportunities for Peer Educators to help with this.

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
If they wanted to increase the reach and effectiveness of 4/peer education would it not have made more sense to only withdraw topic packs once they had new ones to replace them????

purpleturtle

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have heard that there are 4 valid topic packs now (the three that have already been mentioned and a 4th one called Girls in the Lead which is delivered with both a trainer and peer educator). The healthy relationships pack covers things like bullying (which was a popular topic in our county).

I can see why they wanted to streamline the topic packs and make it more professional-looking but its frustrating that they're only pushing Free Being Me and not the other 3.

What irritates me is that units should book FBM sessions through the girl guiding website. This request then goes to CHQ and EVENTUALLY down to region and then down to county 4 coordinators THEN down to peer educators! I think this chain is far too long and it takes aaages for units to get matched up with peer educators because CHQ hold onto the requests for ages.

Kattikit

Regular (50+ posts)
I think they have VERY high FBM targets, so they've had to slightly ignore everything else.

purpleturkey I completely agree. I'm a 4 coord, and it can take a while for me to hear - over 4 months since the unit first requested it! Luckily I've also had direct requests straight to me which have been fulfilled much quicker.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
What irritates me is that units should book FBM sessions through the girl guiding website. This request then goes to CHQ and EVENTUALLY down to region and then down to county 4 coordinators THEN down to peer educators! I think this chain is far too long and it takes aaages for units to get matched up with peer educators because CHQ hold onto the requests for ages.
As a leader who has requested a FBM session through the website, I thought I had been forgotten as I didn't hear from them for ages. I still haven't heard from anyone more locally about it, so I have now planned something else for the date I requested originally. Tbh I am not overly impressed with the organisation, and it has put me off requesting sessions in the future.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
This is what concerns me, especially after all the effort that has gone into raising 4's profile...
I only know that my request has been passed on because someone involved in 4 in LaSER told me on Facebook that I was on the list after I complained about it on there. Thank goodness I wasn't after a session because I had problems in my unit and needed help quickly! I just requested it because I thought it would be interesting.

snowyjess

Veteran (100+ posts)
I requested to be trained in running the FBM sessions and heard nothing about it (so presumed they have enough people) and then I requested a session as I thought it would be useful to us especially my older group as there's quite a bit they could learn from it but just like the others I have heard nothing about it and have given up waiting as I needed to fill the slots :/

legallyblonde

Beginner (10+ posts)
I think this is so sad - I'm the only free being me peer educator in my county and all the sessions I have done have been in my district that I have arranged. I cant believe no one else in my county has wanted to do free being me after there was so much noise made about it. I even did free being me for a group over an hour away out of county just because a contact knew about me as I know the leader had been waiting ages to book a session - I'm sure she had peer educators in her county.

There definitely seems to be some sort of communication issues. I know we're all volunteers, but still...

I have emailed 4 a couple of times with no response, and I've never received my peer educator badge, I know its not all about the badge, but it makes you feel at least recognised for what you are doing.

GirlFromMars

Veteran (100+ posts)
I emailed them twice about getting a FBM session then a third time about getting girls on my area trained to run then and haven't heard a thing. They really shouldn't have advertised so much before getting the framework in place.

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
I wouldn't mind doing the training just not right now as I have far too much to do!
Once I've got more QG done then maybe yes

manateelover90

Brownie & Ranger leader and Ranger =D
GuiderPlus
I have just been on training and have just received a list of people who want sessions which are "local" to me. I guess if people have not heard anything then there is no one local to you.

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have just been on training and have just received a list of people who want sessions which are "local" to me. I guess if people have not heard anything then there is no one local to you.
Which is fair enough, but they need to communicate that to people not just ignore them.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
One aspect that I miss is being able to put together and tailor 4 sessions to suit problems that a unit was encountering. But I guess this meant that what was being offered as 4 could wildly vary, and didn't help with coming up with a defined image of 4. The emphasis on not changing the format (aside from options given for time extension or restraint) is useful in this sense but some of the activities seem a bit samey/ repetitive (I had sent this back as a part of a feedback on Risky Behaviour) and I always feel like cutting them out as they don't engage the girls!