• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

REN Forms

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
Just been on the Girlguiding website to download a REN form and it has completely changed! When did this happen? Did I miss notifications on it because the whole timeline process seems to have changed too.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
What do you mean?
I just downloaded and doesn't look much different from what I was expecting but I don't really remember what it looked like last time...

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
Its now 8 pages long instead of 3! There are 2 sections, the first needs to be sent 12 weeks before date of the event when I'm sure it used to be 2-4 weeks. Its asking for qualifications of all the leaders e.g. first response, safe space - I'm trying to fill it in for more than 1 unit - its a joint camp so I have no idea what qualifications all the other Leaders have.

I have a really bad head cold so change is the last thing I need today :confused: - I just wanted to get it done quickly :(.

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
Ok thats weird - I just went back on the website and got the old style form!!! I'm going to fill that one in quickly and send it off - I have no idea why I got a different one earlier.

The first time I put ren in the search box and got the long form, the second time I got to the short form from the running your unit links!

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Ok thats weird - I just went back on the website and got the old style form!!! I'm going to fill that one in quickly and send it off - I have no idea why I got a different one earlier.
I've just been on and it's the 'new' one... I wonder if it's changing today?!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It is changing and the phase of the GO upgrade will be incorporating it into GO so you can pick up membership numbers and hopefully it will allow Commissioners to check qualifications easier too....

It may just be a work in progress at the moment hence the swopping between the two...

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
It is changing and the phase of the GO upgrade will be incorporating it into GO so you can pick up membership numbers and hopefully it will allow Commissioners to check qualifications easier too....
Which means once you generate it from go, it will include the details for all your leaders - regardless of whether they're going or not..... (I've asked numerous times for the functionality to 'choose' which girls you want a health form printing for but to no success - or even acknowledgment)_

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus

It may just be a work in progress at the moment hence the swopping between the two...
I hope it's a consultation not being imposed. Some shift workers cannot commit 12 weeks ahead. Experienced Leaders can organise sleepovers at less than 12 weeks notice. Given the requirements for every Guide to get the opportunity of a residential experience each year, putting up artificial barriers of this sort without consultation on the practicalities for grassroots Leaders would be thoughtless. Can you convince me that they really are that ignorant of realities?

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
I hope it's a consultation not being imposed. Some shift workers cannot commit 12 weeks ahead. Experienced Leaders can organise sleepovers at less than 12 weeks notice. Given the requirements for every Guide to get the opportunity of a residential experience each year, putting up artificial barriers of this sort without consultation on the practicalities for grassroots Leaders would be thoughtless. Can you convince me that they really are that ignorant of realities?
I don't seem to have missed any communications about this then - I have to say I am surprised that the new form has just appeared without letting us know how much the process for getting approval for a residential seems to be changing.

JMW1

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Yes, we are thinking about going to camp next month but cant finalise yet until know leader availability. All leaders are qualified, very experienced and absolutely capable of organising within the time frame but we would rarely have dates booked 12 weeks ahead for a short weekend event

BigBlueCanoe

Beginner (10+ posts)
I’m currently working towards getting my Licence and interestingly when I met our Residential Advisor a few weeks ago and presented my very initial draft REN to her she made no mention of anything changing and neither did my Commissioner when I sent it on to her shortly afterwards! So unfortunately Fenris I can believe that this has just been done…

Looking forward to seeing if my Residential Advisor mentions it when I meet her again later this week….

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The 12 week aspect is news to me too but it's unlikely to be consulted on to grass roots leaders, more an outdoor advisor /ops board matter so maybe we withhold judgement until the form is available and guidance notes read. Events for qualifications have always needed to be submitted 8 to 12 weeks in advance so there is a precedent.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The 12 week aspect is news to me too but it's unlikely to be consulted on to grass roots leaders, more an outdoor advisor /ops board matter so maybe we withhold judgement until the form is available and guidance notes read. Events for qualifications have always needed to be submitted 8 to 12 weeks in advance so there is a precedent.
REN with GAW assessment was previously at least 6 weeks notice. Without assessment it is minimum 2 weeks.

I panicked when I saw the new one, we are running a holiday in 4 weeks and I thought I was being organised getting the REN I'm this early!! Venue and team only booked last week!!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Not so, because advisers did not know about it either. And the form already is available so it's too late to withhold judgement, that ship has sailed.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Well changes to the REN were mentioned at the NEE Region advisors day recently so some clearly did...and the old form is still downloadable

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Another email being sent off to HQ to enquire why suddenly 12 weeks notice is required, and why we have to wait for a signed form before we can actually book/confirm a venue. Most venues need to be booked months in advance

Commissioner will return your signed part 1 of the form, along with a checklist of next steps. For UK events, once the signed form has been received, you can book or confirm your venue and continue planning your event. If there are no issues, your commissioner will send back a signed and completed form at least 10 weeks prior to the event. If you do not receive this form at least 10 weeks prior to the event, contact your commissioner.

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Another email being sent off to HQ to enquire why suddenly 12 weeks notice is required, and why we have to wait for a signed form before we can actually book/confirm a venue. Most venues need to be booked months in advance

Commissioner will return your signed part 1 of the form, along with a checklist of next steps. For UK events, once the signed form has been received, you can book or confirm your venue and continue planning your event. If there are no issues, your commissioner will send back a signed and completed form at least 10 weeks prior to the event. If you do not receive this form at least 10 weeks prior to the event, contact your commissioner.
This is ridiculous! Why on earth would you need a form filled out 12 weeks before the event?

If you're attending a big camp many miles away that requires commitment early on then I could understand it a bit more, but what if my unit decide at next weeks term planning that they'd like to a have a weekend camp, a mile up the road in the ample garden of one our leaders? What am I meant to tell them - that they should have thought of it 12 weeks ago in the depths of winter??

Guiding is selling itself on being more adventurous and getting outdoors more but this is incredibly unhelpful!