• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

REN Forms

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
that is exactly why it needs to be checked - either the facilities limit the amount of people and gender who can go, or they have to get more put in for an event - rather than just turning up and having to firefight as there are only 2 toilets for 60 different people, 1 of whom is male and therefore needs their own!!!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
B
that is exactly why it needs to be checked - either the facilities limit the amount of people and gender who can go, or they have to get more put in for an event - rather than just turning up and having to firefight as there are only 2 toilets for 60 different people, 1 of whom is male and therefore needs their own!!!
When we have used places like this we bring our own toilet tents. Not the best experience but means that they only use it when they really need it!!

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
B

When we have used places like this we bring our own toilet tents. Not the best experience but means that they only use it when they really need it!!
yep, so your risk assessment (or DC's assessment) made it clear more were needed, so you had them, in case of the emergency. If no one had looked, no one would have brought them! That is why is needs to be done.

To be honest, I re-use our risk assessment, I go through them, change what needs changing, add in items, and send it off again. We do the same of schedules, tweaking for each event, set of girls etc. I don't know anyone who doesn't do that, so the new forms are not going to create more work for me, it just means we have to remember to email it out.
We are fairly lucky that we have similar leaders at every event, and for those who don't I understand it can be a bit last minute to confirm, but I am sure that all DC's would prefere to know who COULD be going, then find out exactly who as soon as they can, rather than find out at the last minute, realise their DBS needs doing, that person not be able to get it done in time, and the camp cancelled - if they had known who MIGHT be going, they could do the DBS-ing and then its done, if they do go!

The issue I forsee is DC's not being able to sign off family's forms - my sister is a brownie/SS leader, my mum is her DC!!!! I am different district!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I was just talking on another thread about HQ not listening to us...
And refusing to engage if we complain.
Who would like to take a bet that if we write to them and suggest it's overkill to have a home contact with two different-addressed emergency contacts, for a trip to the park, or 12 weeks' notice for a sleepover in our usual hall that's been used for sleepovers before... we'll be met with "here's the website" and then "we've answered all your questions"?

NosilaC

Regular (50+ posts)
Pleased to see that HQ have removed the requirement for home contacts to have copies of all forms (clearly disproportionate sharing of personal information).

But HQ's 'role outline' still puts the onus for handling all aspects of any 'incident' on the Home Contact - fine (in my view) if the incident is of the 'we're going to be an hour late cos of train delays/Flossie has broken her ankle and is on her way to hospital' nature.

BUT if it's a serious incident (eg major transport accident with fatalities, Girlguiding members are caught up in the crossfire of violence, etc) then the 'role outline' needs to state clearly what support the Home Contact can expect from Girlguiding HQ (and in my view this shouln't just be the local Commissioner - as an ex-DC don't think I'd feel any more comfortable dealing with an incident of that magnitude than I would as a unit leader or event co-ordinator).

If 'they' are going to be explicit about what they expect from 'me' (as Home Contact) then I expect them to be equally explicit about what support they will give me. Otherwise, I'm very unlikely to be willing to sign their form...

And so far, I can find no evidence of this support (please correct me if you can see something that I can't...)

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Agreed this needs to be published wider but fundamentally it goes up the chain to the County Commissioner who should have the CHQ contacts to provide the necessary support and assistance.

More details here...What to do in an emergency

Last edited:

helenfelen

Veteran (100+ posts)
Must admit, having dealt with RENs and its predecessor the A/A as a Commissioner, this is certainly redolent of the A/A. I think 12 weeks is a bit steep, but would certainly support that for those needing assessment, and 6 or 8 for everyone else. Other than that, I'm pleased to see the permission to plan form back for international trips. I like how the new form focuses the mind rather more. I hope we will see a return to the days where you can't go to PGL on a sleepover licence, and where you have to have attended and been involved in the organising of a whole residential of a minimum of two nights before you can do the GAW scheme. I'd also like to see a stop put to no licence being needed for things like Wellies and Wristbands. Those sort of trips still require the same amount of planning and communication with parents etc.
This would rule out any rainbow unit guiders going on or obtaining the GAW which would be very unfair in my opinion tbh. however i don't see why you can't do module 6 for rainbows (you need to do a min 2nights for it) as it relates to planning and carrying out a programme - you still have to do that on a 24hr sleepover - we don't just let them do whatever they want - we have a theme and plan activities etc so should be able to gain mod 6. I agree that you should need to have your GAW before you can do a PGL or W&W as it's longer than 24hrs which is all 1-4 covers you for.

LittleBrownOwl85

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi all,
I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but going back to the new REN forms...

My biggest issue is the fact that I have to wait for my DC to confirm that the residential is allowed before booking the accommodation. If I want to be able to guarantee certain accommodation, or certain dates, then I have to book in ASAP! Not all places are happy to keep a provisional booking for very long.
Every year we take the girls away for a Christmas weekend. The accommodation is very popular at the time of year we go, so we need to book almost 1 year in advance. I know that I will always have enough uptake for this event as it is extremely popular (the girls know we always send Father Christmas a letter to ask him to visit!), so have always been happy to book it and pay the deposit. But if I now have to send the REN to my DC first, and she doesn't have to approve it until 10 weeks before the event date, then I'm going to have issues.

I filled the new form for this years Christmas Weekend and sent it to my DC 3 weeks ago. The 10 week mark will be hit on Friday. I am yet to hear back. My DC sent a message to a group I'm in, and I immediately sent a message asking about my form (as I figured she must have her phone on her!) and I still haven't received a reply. I have text her separately, and also haven't received a reply.
It's our first week back tomorrow and the girls will be expecting to get letters about it. What do I say to them? Sorry, I don't know if we will even be able to go? Do I hand out the info anyway but tell them to be prepared that it may be cancelled?

I hate being left in limbo, and I feel that's all I'm going to get from this form.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The idea of getting people to get a REN authorised before booking is to make sure the event is viable before any major commitment is made. There have been too many instances of events cancelled due to lack of numbers, no real thought put in place before expensive venues have been booked and committed to, even on cancellation some form of deposit or in some cases the full fees have been due.

I don't see why in your circumstances, with a proven track record and a committed team, your DC would have an issue with the booking being made following a quick phone call to confirm when and where and the first part of the REN followed. You just need to give your DC the heads up that it is happening and you have all the bases covered. Generally it is the less experienced leader that needs the DC's involvement to make sure the situation follows GG policy, has a capable team, is budgeted correctly, doesn't raise false hopes or unrealistic expectations.