• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Rent

roundhayrainbow

Beginner (10+ posts)
Morning everyone.
I have a question to ask -- How much rent do units have to pay?

I ask this because we have just had a rent increase and some guiders are not happy.

We meet in a church hall and have been very lucky to have a very low rent.

I think with the increase it is still very low.

We pay yearly but it works out that weekly our rent will be about £5

Ech18

Veteran (100+ posts)
About £10 a week (1.5hr) for both units, one of them is £22 and hour for normal users and the other is £10 an hour for external but they share profits from fairs/coffee morning etc. So it is probably much less really.

BigBlueCanoe

Beginner (10+ posts)
£20 a session. We meet in a school hall and officially meet for 1.5 hours (setting up and close down adds about 15-25 minutes so we usually occupy for nearer 2 hours). I've looked at other possible venues nearby but the rent is pretty similar. We're in the South East of England by the way.

Oh the things I could do if our rent was only £5 a week!

helenfelen

Veteran (100+ posts)
1 unit is £7.50 a meeting for 1.25 hrs in a church hall with storage cupboard & the other is £15 a meeting for the same time & no storage in a sports & social clubhouse

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
You'll find it varies massively around the country. There are a number of factors to consider.
First is how it is charged - is it per head, or per hour? If per hour, is it per full hour, or is it 'per hour or part thereof'? Are you able to go in early to set up, or stay on 10 minutes to tidy up afterwards, or not?
Next is facilities - do you have storage? a notice board? outdoor space? shared or sole use of a kitchen? shared or own use of bathroom? Own key?
Finally - what is the local 'going rate' - how much would other halls charge you if you were to move, and would they be offering comparable facilities for that money?

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
We pay £16.50, this is a session charge, we pay the same for 1.5 hrs as Guides do for 2hrs. Its still cheaper than other venues and we have absolutely no storage space or display boards.
You need to compare with other local venues really as Fenris says.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I agree with Fenris but tend to find that the rent is not really dependent on the facilities offered - some local units have great facilities but low rent and some the other way round (or they have been offered halls like that - for example I ran a unit that met in a school and rent was higher or at least no lower than other units but we had no kitchen, minimal outside storage so you don't want to keep paper there, and we met in a classroom so had to move tables/chairs to do any game and then put them back).

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
£28.50 per 90 minute session it is a school hall in SE England.

Subs are £30 per term, including census. We get over £300 from Gift Aid. It is viable only if there are not less than 20 girls. Below that and we consider free trips out more frequently. The library, Cotswold outdoors, Pets at home, the park.

there is lovely outdoor space, but limited cooking facilities. There is a locked cupboard for storage

£5 per week would be amazing. The Guiders who are unhappy, don't know how lucky they are.

Last edited:

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
We pay £10 per night. Rainbows and Brownies meet on the same night, so they share the cost. Guides meets on a different night, so pay the full £10. Great outdoor space but a kitchen with only a kettle and a sink. We provide our own cupboards, but cannot put up notice boards. The room itself is on the small side and it's difficult to split into small groups. Plenty of parking and we can close off the car park if we want to (for wheels night, etc). We can access at other times, for sorting cupboards, planning meetings, etc at no extra cost. We can also meet in the holidays if we want to.

Slimming World have recently left the larger hall in the same building (different entrance), because they had a rent increase from £20 an hour including VAT, to £30 an hour plus VAT. We can use the larger room on an occasional basis, with prior arrangement. We've done this once, for a fundraiser, and were not charged any rent that night (it was a one off freebie as it was a fundraiser though).

A mile up the road, the Brownies and Rainbows have more indoor space, plus sufficient outdoor space, but no storage allowed. There is no kitchen and access to water has to be arranged beforehand. No noticeboards, and no access outside meeting times. It's in a school, so no meetings in holidays allowed, not even planning meetings. However, there is no charge for room hire.

Another nearby unit is £10 an hour. It has both indoor and outdoor space, a decent kitchen, noticeboards, and they have provided their own cupboards. They are not restricted to school term time.

So much variation, even within a small area.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
£25 a night for 1 and 1/2 hours in a secondary school 's dance studio. They're very precious about their floor so no food, water, cooking, painting etc. There is a changing room next door where we keep our 6 foot tall lock up cupboard. We can't use any outside space but there is a park across the road. What we can use, which is a fantastic resource, is their artificial climbing wall. One of our parents has the qualification and brings a friend to help. We can come a bit early and stay a bit late but not get in at other times. We can't put anything on the walls but I got round that by hinging 2 cork boards together so they stand up. We can move them to wherever we like then put them flat on top of the cupboard when we're done.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
A mile up the road, the Brownies and Rainbows have more indoor space, plus sufficient outdoor space, but no storage allowed. There is no kitchen and access to water has to be arranged beforehand. No noticeboards, and no access outside meeting times. It's in a school, so no meetings in holidays allowed, not even planning meetings. However, there is no charge for room hire.
Surely they have a loo and sink? Though not enough for filling large buckets I suppose?

We pay £80 a term. For this we have use of a large church hall, toilets, a small kitchen and a storage cupboard. The kitchen has a sink, kettle small fridge, very old gas cooker and incomprehensible microwave. Most of the kitchen cupboards are locked but we can access one with mugs and a teapot and a cutlery drawer.

The Brownies have the hall before us, and there is another room used by the church group. There's also a small park which we can use that has play equipment too.

We are very lucky with this arrangement, and charge £25 per girl per term for subs (which includes census). This has helped us in the past when we had six girls but we've now got 18 (soon to be 26) so may have to re-think.

roundhayrainbow

Beginner (10+ posts)
Thank you everyone for responding.

I just wanted to prove how lucky we are to other guiders in our district. We are a small district we all meet at the same place.

We are so lucky sorry to boast but our £5 an evening rent - includes a notice board, fully equipped kitchen, 1 good size lockable cupboard, outside grass area and car park we can cordon off, we have our own key and a decent sized carpeted room or a large hall. Not to mention sole use of the toilets.

I don't understand why some of the other guiders in our district are unhappy.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
When it comes down to it, it all comes down to budgeting. They have less to spend on the 'fun' things.

You can't please all the people all of the time

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you everyone for responding.

I just wanted to prove how lucky we are to other guiders in our district. We are a small district we all meet at the same place.

We are so lucky sorry to boast but our £5 an evening rent - includes a notice board, fully equipped kitchen, 1 good size lockable cupboard, outside grass area and car park we can cordon off, we have our own key and a decent sized carpeted room or a large hall. Not to mention sole use of the toilets.

I don't understand why some of the other guiders in our district are unhappy.
Go and post your original question on the county Facebook group, there's loads of local leaders will put them straight too.