• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Residential Locations

Hi my senior section girls are desperate to do a chill out weekend indoor camp after their exams, can anyone suggest where to go? there will be roughly 15 of us in attendance so nowhere to big and not too expensive either... we are based in midlothian so anywhere near here would be great!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Stanemuir charges per head (although there is a minimum charge) so it can be economical if you aren't sure of your numbers. There is the Richmond Chalet at Fordell Firs, though it tends to book up quickly. If all you want is a hall to base yourself at which isn't too expensive then Currie Guide Hall would be an option.

senry

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Girlguiding North Tyneside is in the process of rebuilding our Holiday house at Wooler which is about 1.5 hrs form you (about what we are to it form our area of Newcastle). So while not right on the door step, Close enough to not to be too much of a hassle.

I have been there with our local SS for a chill out weekend and it’s brilliant, so peaceful and relaxing. We almost finished the rebuild, so it will be all lovely and shinny and new. While were not sure of the exact date re opening but it should be soon. If you check out the website: http://www.girlguidingnorthtyneside.org.uk/cheviot.html and email our county office for details, our county admin is hugely helpful.

Hope this helps.

hi do you have contact details for Stanemuir and Currie Guide hall? I have enquired with fordell firs but my other guider didn't seem to enthused by the idea.

Claire x

I will keep note of North Tyneside for future reference but transport may be an issue for us as we don't have access to a mini bus and I am the only one that drives out of the 4 potential leaders for camp

Claire x

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I will keep note of North Tyneside for future reference but transport may be an issue for us as we don't have access to a mini bus and I am the only one that drives out of the 4 potential leaders for camp

Claire x
Trains! The girls can find the correct trains, if you book them far enough in advance they're not overly expensive... You could also do the shopping between you or get it delivered to site by a supermarket... Many of these things could be used as part of look wider octants!

frazzledguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
How about a guide hall or youth hostel in Edinburgh? Edinburgh HQ used to allow overnights but I'm not sure if they still do.

Theres The Craigs campsite at Torphichen in West Lothian. They have a fairly basic chalet http://www.thecraigssite.info/Accommodation/tabid/227/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Nine acres campsite at Crook of Devon has a bothy http://www.nineacres.org.uk/facilities.html

Girlguiding Fife have a centre outside St. Andrews. There's also a cottage beside the campsite which I think you can book separately. http://girlguidingfife.yolasite.com/fife-county-facilities.php

Good luck :)

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
hi do you have contact details for Stanemuir and Currie Guide hall? I have enquired with fordell firs but my other guider didn't seem to enthused by the idea.

Claire x
You can check the details for Stanemuir on the Girlguiding Edinburgh website or can PM me. For Currie Guide Hall, PM me and I can let you have the details, it's on Lanark Road West (44 bus route in Edinburgh).

captainkiwi

Veteran (100+ posts)
East Lothian's site Allison Cargill House would be perfect for you guys. Close enough for parents to drive too. It's well equipped and if it's just a chill out weekend then it's perfect. Can camp or stay in the house. campsite is the house garden which is an old bowling green so super flat!!

Hi guys thanks so much for all your suggestions, we have put it to the girls a few different ideas and rough pricing of the weekend so we will see what they com back with.

Thanks again!

Claire x