• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Robin Patrol Log Book 1942-1947

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Our first library book is a patrol book from 10th Barry Girl Guides in South Wales from 1942-1947.

The book contains a rare insight from the guide’s point of view of how the guide unit was run and the things they got up to. The book contains a lot of clipping of Princess Elizabeth (currently our Queen!) and many references to the Second World War which ended in September 1945 half way through the book. The book also has many programs and information inserted.

The book’s quite fragile so it’s taking a while to scan each page however we’ll be aiming to add 10 pages a day. This book was found in a chest at the guide hall with another log book from the mid 60s which we’ll also be adding to the collection. Excitingly the chest contains other books which we are yet to dig out from under piles of tents, camping equipment and a lawnmower! So we don’t know what we’ll uncover.

The book is in a basic presentation format at the moment as we’ll be adding extra functions such as zoom and print. You should be able to view the first 10 pages via the link below. It may be a little small so you’ll need to fully maximise the window. Don’t worry though as well be working on the display for this. To move from one page to another simply double click in the corners or left click/drag the edges and literally turn over the pages.

http://www.guiders.co.uk/glibrary/book1/book1.swf
or
http://www.guiders.co.uk/glibrary/book1/index.html

I hope you’ll all get as much out of reading these logs as we have and excitingly await the next load of pages to be added.

Please leave any comments on this book here, as it grows will be adding an index to allow people to find the best bits.

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Another 10 pages

Another ten pages have been added to the diary.

These include a photograph of Patrol Leader Princess Elizabeth; An article from the December 1942 issue of Guide and it looks like the Captain has sprained her ankle!!!

sally

Veteran (100+ posts)
i've tried opening this but get just a blank book - any suggestions as to what the problem might be. I was so looking forward to reading it!

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
It may be the speed of your connection. Each page is about 100k so if your on dial up and not broadband it may take a while for each page to load. Also check you have the latest version of Flash Player from Adobe.com

sally

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think you are right about it being my dial up connection. This and my abortive attempt to download itunes has convinced me - I need broadband!!

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
No need to be on dial up anymore as it's very little difference in price. Just don't use AOL!!! There they only company who don't use Microsoft Explorer and there software just fills you pc up with junk till it grinds slowly to a halt.

jim

GuiderPlus
not if you know what you are doing and with broad band you can use both
aol add ms explorer all you need to do is set up internet options in control panel

Last edited:

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Quite true Jim. If you have AOL then I'd use it to connect to the internet and then use Internet Explorer to surf the net. Better to avoid aol if your not already on it though but that's my experience.

By the way I've added 10 more pages to the book.

A brief content list: pages 21-30 includes a lots of marching and taps; lost points in role call for dirty nails; morse code test; then they went stalking and tracking around the neighbourhood streets; Getting ready for the Chief Guide Lady Baden-powells visit to Barry and the 'Wings of Victory Parade' through the streets.

I've attempted to add a goto button and print buttons but for some reason ther not showing on my screen. Why is anything ever straight forward??

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Actually it is working now. You can zoom in too. However you need to zoom back out again to move on to the next page.

Print buttons don't seem to work though??

If anyone does want any of the pages for what ever reason you can open them separatly by going to this address:

http://www.guiders.co.uk/glibrary/book1/pages/005.jpg

Just change the number of the jpg file to the page number, has to be three digits. There better quality too.

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
I've just read the newspaper clipping on pages 14-15. (Use the zoom button to make it clearer). An excellent piece of writing that shows the work done by the guides and their importance in the Second World War.

It opens with a paragraph that really hits home the differences in conflict between the Polish army and the Germans.

'Men and horses, gloriosely alive, pulsating with strength and purpose, flung themselves against the inhuman strength of the machines - and the machines went on.'

Also,

'One small patrol of five, the youngest eleven, the eldest fourteen, set up an emergency camp kitchen in the backyard of a Rest Centre in a badly blitzed town and cooked for a hundred people a week, using wood from demolished houses as their fuel and broken bricks for their fireplace. They did not find the job difficult, they had learned how in camp'

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Pages 31-50 Added

The Guides meet Lady Baden-Powell who's, quote 'too nice for words, She is just like a Mother'.
More stalking in the woods and lots of tests.
The guides, including Princess Elizabeth, releases message-bearing pigeons to London for Lady Baden-Powell for Thinking Day.
Also included are photographs of guides from Poland, India, Switzerland and China. I like the photo of the children in switzerland, very stereotypically Julie Andrews!

Last edited by a moderator:

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Pages 51-60 Added

Captain is ill, a Toy Show and the Scouts teach the girls 'British Bulldog'. Which I remember was banned at my school as it was too aggresive. The chief guide of Poland Madame Malkourska visited the guides.

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Pages 61-70 Added

Playing games with the Scouts, another picture of HRH Princess Elizabeth now a Sea Scout and other newspaper clippings, a Cinomatagraphy session, 'Salute the Soldier Parade'.

And to come... An order of service from the Coronation of King George the Sixth and Queen Elizabeth

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Pages 71-80 Added

More marching, some Year Stars were awarded, a sprig clean, and some games: Oxford and Cambridge, 6s & 7s, Copyings and Chase and a sports day.

Inserted into the book at these pages is a Order of Worship for use in Sunday Schools and Young People's Gatherings for the Coronation of Their Most Gracious Majestics King George the Sixth and Queen Elizabeth, our late Queen Mother. As, according to Wikipedia, the coronation was is 1937 and there is no reference to it in the entries I thought I'd scan it in as a separate document. It must have just been slipped into the diary at some point. Maybe we have another, earlier book, in the hall. Anyway it can be access from the other thread in the Library Forum.

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Pages 81-92 Added

A feast of good stuff today! We are now into 1945 with a new patrol.

Loads of newspaper clippings including a demonsrating on saluting and an excellent extract from The Guide February 1944 titled Do You Remember? which is about the World Bureau of the Guides and Girl Scouts showing badges of 19 countries and explains some customs and the laws of Estonian Brownies for one, which include 'A Brownie smiles, even when she is in difficulties or suffering pain'.

It's such a good piece I think it should probably be a separate file. You can find it on pages 89-90. Although I don't think the back of the clipping was intended to be kept I've included it also as it tell of how the Chaffinches put us to shame on tidyness and some good tips for the Cooks badge on cleaning those difficult mincing machines and stoves.