• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Senior Section Leader?

Sweetlikespice

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi all,

I have no idea if this is the right forum in which to post this and i feel sort of awkward about writing it. So, basically we have no local Senior Section Unit (We do but its the other side of the city) and there are many guides at the moment that are turning 14/15/16 and many of them seem to be "less fond" of guides.

I was wondering about the requirements about setting up a SS Unit, is there an age limit on the guiders? As i know senior section can run up to the age of 24. I just wanted to know before i approach the DC about any potential plans.

It would be great if any of you can offer me some advise and answer my questions.

Thanks
SLS X

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
There's no limit other than the normal 18+ to be a leader etc. I know lots of TSS units I've come across have had leaders who were senior section age themselves.

Also, small comment, but Senior Section runs up to age 25 inclusive, not 24 (ie up to 26th birthday).

Sweetlikespice

Veteran (100+ posts)
There's no limit other than the normal 18+ to be a leader etc. I know lots of TSS units I've come across have had leaders who were senior section age themselves.

Also, small comment, but Senior Section runs up to age 25 inclusive, not 24 (ie up to 26th birthday).
Humm, i have a dilemma, i've done brownies as a Young Leader untill it closed, and done Guides as a Young Leader and currently feel "Wasted" at the guide unit and am waiting to start my ALQ (And as many girls are becoming and hoping to be YL's), I think starting a SS unit would be ideal . I just don't want to overshoot the gun if you know what i mean, potentially the leaders are there, just everything else. Do you think im being silly or unreasonable or? I just want opinions before i bring it up with the DC and get shot down.

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Humm, i have a dilemma, i've done brownies as a Young Leader untill it closed, and done Guides as a Young Leader and currently feel "Wasted" at the guide unit and am waiting to start my ALQ (And as many girls are becoming and hoping to be YL's), I think starting a SS unit would be ideal . I just don't want to overshoot the gun if you know what i mean, potentially the leaders are there, just everything else. Do you think im being silly or unreasonable or? I just want opinions before i bring it up with the DC and get shot down.
Why would you get shot down? If you were in my District and came to me with the suggestion of opening a new Unit that you would run I'd be over the moon and would give you all the necessary support. Go For It! :)

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
You could always do a trial meeting - invite all the girls who are the right age or will be in the next term/year and ask them if they would like a TSS? Just download a few of the materials and print them off or get the girls to look at them on their smartphones (if you download them then you can Bluetooth them to the girls at the meeting). Ask questions like how often do they want to meet, where and when - weekly, fortnightly or monthly; what do they want to achieve - LW & Octants and/or YLQ and/or QG, etc; how much would it cost and how would they finance it - how much subs needed to run, how would they pay yearly subscription, etc.

Then once you have their info too, you are ready to put it to the DC with more background info.

Good Luck.

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'd hope you wouldn't get shot down .......... it's a great idea, you've potentially got some members interested in TSS, you've got at least one potential leader, you've identified there's probably a demand based on numbers and the fact the nearest unit is the other side of the city. Sounds feasible to me!

Take the idea to your DC - she may know of others either looking to join a unit, or leaders will to help. In which case, you've got more people to pull on.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I am 25 and currently an assistant leader at Rangers. Me and the GiC (my mum) tend to join in with the activities anyway.

I think it is a great idea to discuss a new unit with your DC.

fruityloop92

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think its a great idea. If you feel 'wasted' at the Guide unit (presumably there are enough leaders to carry on without you) then it would be great for the District to have a SS unit, if there's a demand for it.

If you're worried about what it involves, you could strike up a relationship with the Unit across town, and maybe visit them to see what their meetings are like (will also be useful for joint events). Your DC is there to support you, so as long as you have thought it through, I don't see why she wouldn't be pleased. We need to nuture that age group so that we have enough leaders in the future!

Sweetlikespice

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks for all this positive feedback, i'm shocked at how supportive you all are, i will think things through and keep you guys all updated. Thank you so much!