• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Starting Queens Guide Award

Hiya, I’m starting my queens guide award in a few weeks and I have started planning it.
My friend and I are both doing it and I was wondering if signing up now to help at magic and mayhem would be enough time and what kind of role we should take on?
Can swimming be done as a personal skill if I done a seimathon at the end of the year?
Does going to Charnwood international camp count as a residential?
Can I use my ALQ module one as 20 hours and rainbows as 40 hours?
How can I use my gold duke of Edinburgh expedition as my outdoors element 2?
What kind of role do I take on at wellies and wristbands to use it as service in guiding element 4?

Grateful to all Replies thanks x

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Well done on choosing to start QGA, I completed it within the past few years and know how tricky the planning stage can be! There should be a Queen’s Guide advisor/coordinator for your county who should be able to help with the specifics but later today I’ll try to come back and help if no one else has already :)

With swimming, it’s supposed to be a new skill or taking an existing one and developing it. So if you are already an accomplished swimmer and have done a similar swimathon before most likely you wouldn’t be able to count it. However if you aren’t a confident swimmer, haven’t done a swimathon before or one that style or length before you so it’s a true challenge you probably could.

There is somewhere on the GG website a PDF that shows how you can do Gold DofE alongside QGA, I’ll see if I can find it for you.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hi well done in starting the award, no small undertaking. Your mentor should be able to help together with your county queens guide advisor. We can give all sorts of answers but the actual decision as to whether certain events/challenges count will depend on you and your experience and capabilities, what is a challenge to one may not be to the next.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Wow that's a lot of questions! It sounds like you have a fantastic adventure ahead of you. I can't answer all of them but I can tell you that, if you volunteer to help at an event like Magic and Mayhem, they ask what your strengths and interests are but will allocate you a role as needed. e.g. I said I am arty crafty and I did spend some of the weekend helping in that area but I also did a lot of serving food and keeping traffic moving and showing Guides around the site. It is exhausting but you will still enjoy it.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
What kind of role do I take on at wellies and wristbands to use it as service in guiding element 4?
If you haven’t already seen it, this document might be very useful https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/glob...nd-activities/queens-guide-award-resource.pdf

I think to be able to use W&W for Guiding service E4 you would have to be involved in long term planning and organising, in the run up to as well as the actual event. For example for mine I was involved in a pilot for a new Peer Education topic, to be able to count it we had to attend a whole day training and then deliver 3 sessions with different units giving feedback and reflections.

As far as I understand you can count a Gold DofE expedition, so long as you already hold the needed modules from TSS permit/GAW and meet the QGA criteria listed in the above attachment in addition to what DofE asks for. Here is the GG specific DofE leaflet: https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/glob...tivities/dofe_girlguiding_leaflet-a5-2014.pdf

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
If you go as staff to Wellies it can definitely count as your residential if you go to one where you don't know everyone already, as you arrive Thursday afternoon and stay until at least Monday.

I'm sure I've seen some getting Element 4 signed off for having undertaken a particular extra project while there, but you'd need to ask. :)