• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

struggling to find work?

mooskne

Veteran (100+ posts)
Take the opportunity, if you can financially, to take a few months of and go to one of the world centres to volunteer!!

Its really fun, you can still look for jobs whilst you're there plus, as they always say, doesn't it look great on your CV.

I was struggling to think of where to work as my previous job had been horrible. Not sure what or where I wanted to go. So for thinking time I went to Switzerland and volunteered for 4 months. Best 4 months. I came back renewed and excited about where I wanted to work... Switzerland! haha. I found a job in Leicester (no comparison) but it gave me that time to think whilst i was out there. Some of the girls used the 4 months as their holiday time between uni years or as a a gap project and graduation relief. Some as a chance to think where they wanted to work in the future and one has even gone back to work in Switzerland!

If you want help looking to volunteer. Please ask!

Lette

Guide Guider & Senior Section Member
One of my friends is at Our Cabana, she graduated and got a job but found it very dull so went to Our Cabana for 3 months and then travelling, she came back for about two months. But was then offered a paid job at Our Cabana for 6 months! And now she is talking about extending it for another 6 months.

I would love to find a way to combine working at a world centre with a job, do you think they would employ an Occupational Therapist?!

alexp44

Guide Guider, Div Media Advisor + Ranger
I'd love to do go to Our Chalet to help or maybe help out at Pax Lodge but it's not that realistic for me at the min with everything thats happening :(

mooskne

Veteran (100+ posts)
Lette. I'm an OT too. I thought about how our role could be encorporated. Apart from disability inclusion opportunities (which WAGGGS is addressing but this seems the most obvious) and occupational engagement of all (which happens anyway). Activity planning and analysis? Risk assessment? Grading those hikes... I wasn't sure what else I could offer... not sure a FSTF would go down well. once issued. job done.

Our Chalet could do with a physio though for all those achy muscles after the hikes! I could have done with some deep sports massage. Would certainly go down well with staff!

Lette

I'm not an OT yet, I'm more a wannabe OT - 5 years and I will be! If things go to plan.

I'm thinking though, the Bournemouth OT course has an 8 week placement at the beginning of the final year, so I could work at a
Guiding place and then do my placement in that country!
I might have to work on my Spanish and try and find something in Mexico.

mooskne

Veteran (100+ posts)
sounds fun! try not to set yourself up for something really hard! final year placements are important. they let you do what you want to do but with tonnes of support and supervision.

I've not looked into the Mexico Association of OT's!

Good luck with your course. If you need pointers just ask!

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I applied to work at Our Cabaña in the summer straight after my 1st year at uni, but didn't get a place. I found out there are about 100 applicants each time for about 6 places. Then found out that someone who should have been going had dropped out at the last minute, and rather than asking one of the unsuccesful applicants (I'd have willingly dropped all plans at the last minute to go!), they got someone back who had been there the previous year, which doesn't really seem fair when there are so many people applying for so few places. I'd just started my degree in Spansih as well at thaty point, so it would have been a massive boost for my language.

I doubt I'd be able to do it now, as they need you to go out for the full 6 week block, which would be my whole summer hols.

Lette

Its a hard on Jen. A friend of mine went out to Our Cabana for 6 weeks over Christmas and New Year. She was then home for a bit and was offered 6 months paid work for them and now thats been extended to a year!

I think I would like to try and do a season somewhere, perhaps Kandersteg, if my uni holidays would allow it.

Jennifer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Take the opportunity, if you can financially, to take a few months of and go to one of the world centres to volunteer!!

Its really fun, you can still look for jobs whilst you're there plus, as they always say, doesn't it look great on your CV.

I was struggling to think of where to work as my previous job had been horrible. Not sure what or where I wanted to go. So for thinking time I went to Switzerland and volunteered for 4 months. Best 4 months. I came back renewed and excited about where I wanted to work... Switzerland! haha. I found a job in Leicester (no comparison) but it gave me that time to think whilst i was out there. Some of the girls used the 4 months as their holiday time between uni years or as a a gap project and graduation relief. Some as a chance to think where they wanted to work in the future and one has even gone back to work in Switzerland!

If you want help looking to volunteer. Please ask!
hi there

who had gone back?

what you up to now?