• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Students looking for units

kathrynha

Veteran (100+ posts)
A'level result day, and just heard my YL has got into where she wants so I'll start a thread for finding units for people.

I am looking for a Guide unit near Sheffield Uni, for a brilliant leader, who has done the majority of her LQ

Also any going to Leeds Trinity, Growlywench is the DC for the area.

Chocolate Moose

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
My sister has got into Exeter uni, she has just completed her LQ for Brownies, if anyone has contacts please let us know :eek:)

Also, any Guide leaders moving to Bristol I can put you in touch with the Guide section coordinators for Bristol West division.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I'm the Join Us volunteers coordinator for one of the Districts near the university I work at. However I'd really prefer to have my enquiries via Join Us if that's OK and I would imagine that a lot of coordinators would be the same.

Nothing wrong with letting us know on here who's going where though!

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
Join us comes into its own for things like this, as people can nominate the area that is most convenient for them depending on where they will be staying :D

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Yes I was going to add a tip for that: If you will be living on a campus, your best bet is to put in the postcode of the University.

If you already know you'll be living off campus, and have a vague area in mind, pick a random street in that area and put in that postcode (e.g. if you know there are some halls or flats off campus, but you don't know which one you'll be in).

For example I went to Edinburgh and the main university postcode is very central but the main halls of residence is nearly 2 miles away, and there are also flats nearer the science campus, which is over 2 miles away. So have a look at the map if you know which accommodation you chose, and then find a postcode near where you'll be staying.

Makes my life a lot simpler, thanking you!

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Don't forget that many universities have SSAGO units which may have links with local units.

Some universities also have volunteering services that support student volunteering.

Although finding out about local GUiding is nice, I would hold off committing to a unit until you've seen what is happening as far as clubs and societies go in freshers week, so that you can decide what you can fit into your schedule.

kathrynha

Veteran (100+ posts)
Will be using Join us too, just think it's nice to try and get personal contacts too, who maybe know where the need for leaders is more than join us, as I'm assuming volunteers going through join us select a unit for themselves from a list of local like the girls applications.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
No, if you apply through Join Us your enquiry goes to a local coordinator like me, who has at their fingertips (kind of) all the local units and meeting places and (now I've asked them all) times and days, and a fairly current list of who needs what kind of leaders. You put in what days and times you can make (though a lot of people do wait until they've started and got at least their first year timetable and worked out what clubs they want to join), and the volunteers coordinator then lets them know about all the local units that might suit based on day, time, section and distance.

It is nothing like the Girl version really, if someone emailed me I'd be asking them to put their details in Join Us.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
the local co-ordinator for the area you pick should make contact and then you can discuss your experience to date, which section you'd prefer and also things like which days you can/can't do

in our area, the enquiry goes though to the DC of the postcode/area you select - but there can be a nominated co-ordinator, but it'll be someone who knows the area well and knows which units need help/assistance :)

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
That would be me in our area - I don't yet know the area well but I'm working on it!

I ask potential volunteers a huge long list of questions (I won't reproduce here, but if anyone's interested PM me) and then get going on placing them in a unit.

We do get the information about which days/times you can do but it's "afternoon" and "evening" etc. which is what Join Us gives you the choice of, and also whether you're an existing volunteer or a new volunteer.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Before logging onto Join Us, it's best to also check out the locality you're moving to - if you don't drive, which way do the bus routes go, and do the buses run at night? The place which is nearest 'as the crow flies' isn't necessarily the most accessible, or it may be that you have to help with Rainbows or Brownies if there aren't suitable buses later in the evening. And also think about where you are likely to be living in subsequent years - what's next door to the halls may be an awkward distance from the flats . . .

Think about what sections you would be willing to work with - it may be that in your new area they've already got plenty of Guide Leaders but are desparate for people to help with Rainbows - or vice versa - the more flexibility you can offer, the sooner you will be placed. So it can be a chance to try something different if you wish. Also, there may or may not be a SSAGGO or a local Ranger Unit . . . unless you're minded to start one . . .

Although it's tempting to move quickly as soon as you've a Uni place to find a unit to move to - wait until you have your timetable, and an idea of what other clubs/societies you want to join, so you don't double-book yourself - that way you'll be clear on what nights and times you can offer for Guiding.

Bear in mind that the units in your new area are bound to do things differently to those 'back home'. Not right or wrong, just different. Take time to work out why they do things the way they do - there might be a good reason. Be ready to suggest ideas, or things which you did at your old unit - and also to pick up things to take back home, so both units get the benefit. But if you've given it a few weeks and feel the new unit isn't working out - have a word with the Leaders and Commissioners, they can help you find other units to try until you get one that suits.

If you've been working on ALQ - try to make sure that your book is signed up-to-date for all that you've done before you move. It doesn't matter whether you have finished it or if there are things still to do, as your new area can help you finish off outstanding clauses, those based near Unis are well used to it - what's harder is having to send the book 'home' to get bits signed off, or your new area having to contact 'home' to clarify what is complete and incomplete - and the risk of your book being 'lost in the post' or buried in someone's 'to do' pile for weeks.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I try and talk to new leaders about how they can get to units, which is very important in our area - to be honest I'd wait and ask the local leaders about that, rather than trying to work out how you'd get to an area where there may or may not be a unit anyway. One of the things I take into account is how new leaders will get to units.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'd quite like your list, pls, Fox.

I'll add to the mix "make sure you know your membership number". If you're already a member, I don't mind how you contact me, if not, I'll send you back through JU.

ann

Veteran (100+ posts)
Anyone coming to Greenwich university ? If yes I can put you in contact with local units who would welcome you with open arms, just pm me

Lydia!

Veteran (100+ posts)
Agree with contacting ANN above for Greenwich enquries, also Goldsmiths is in our county if anyone is going there.

Personally I am on the look out for another Guide leader, and we desperately need Rainbow leaders in my district (Meridian-Greenwich).

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I'd quite like your list, pls, Fox.

I'll add to the mix "make sure you know your membership number". If you're already a member, I don't mind how you contact me, if not, I'll send you back through JU.
Unless you're putting them through Join Us yourself, if they are already a member, they've got to go through Join Us to move areas as well. That's life!

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Anyone coming to Greenwich university ? If yes I can put you in contact with local units who would welcome you with open arms, just pm me

My daughter is coming to Greenwich - has accommodation at Cutty Sark - fully qualified Brownie Leader ............ she has some contacts that Lydia! pm'd me :)

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
Unless you're putting them through Join Us yourself, if they are already a member, they've got to go through Join Us to move areas as well. That's life!
No they don't - as long as they know their membership number - you just input them through GO.