• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Suggest Posting Ranks

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

You may have noticed the user ranks which appear under your username have recently changed. This was due to having some of the ranks as guiding titles which we now know wasn't the best idea!

So can we have some suggestions for new user ranks please.

At the moment we simply have Newbie, Rookie, Veteran etc

Possible a theme based on camping? What do you all think?

elenopa

Brownie Guider
What about the pre-1968 guiding awards?

Tenderfoot, golden bar, golden ladder, golden hand, wings, second class, first class.

Can't really do Queen's Guide as that is still in existence.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was thinking along the same lines Elenopa, would be nice to stick with something guiding-related as long as we remove the potential controversy if they're misunderstood by outsiders. At least, I assume "Becoming-a-Brownie for North West England" (or similar) doesn't sound as quotable to journalists as region commissioner lol :p

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Roughly how many do we need ? I was wondering about places, Foxlease, Waddow, Netherud moving on to World Centres. So if that gives us 8 and we need more we could add in the region, larger county owned places such as Glenbrook.

It would be in order of importance but maybe region/county moving to national and international..

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
I like the idea of places, there must be dozens of Guiding camp sites and house, if we all submitted our local places then maybe in alphabetical order up the scale with perhaps the World centres as the pinnacles

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
how about the old brownie six names - pixie, sprite, elf, gnome etc (unless they are copyright protected in some way by GG, which I don't think they are)

or even the guide patrol names?

Last edited:

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
re towns around uk or counties - they could be misinterpreted by press eves-dropping that someone somehow linked to a geographical area

so if names of places would have to be actual guiding campsites that couldn't be mis-understood

labrador

Asst Guide Leader
The names of Guide centres is a terrible idea, it puts you back in exactly the same position as before as it could be read as the poster is representing the view of the centre.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I like the suggestion of the old tests/ awards or ones about camping, some ideas for what could be:
*Rookie Camper
*Marshmallow burner
*Subcamp dweller
*Confident camper
*Expert Marshmallow toaster
*Chief Camper
*Campleader
*Camp/ing Royalty

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
I like the suggestion of the old tests/ awards or ones about camping, some ideas for what could be:
*Rookie Camper
*Marshmallow burner
*Subcamp dweller
*Confident camper
*Expert Marshmallow toaster
*Chief Camper
*Campleader
*Camp/ing Royalty
I do like those. The idea of something a bit more light hearted appeals more to me personally than geographical or historical labels...

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
I really like badgemad's suggestions, my only thought would be with "camp leader" we're getting back into the area of official-sounding roles, so need to watch they don't creep back in within a new theme?

Alternatively, piggybacking off badgemad's marshmallow suggestions, we could move up the ranks of camp cooking skills, and have e.g. Marshmallow flamer, Eggy bread burner, ..., expert marshmallow toaster, ..., supreme camp chef extraordinaire?

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
I really like badgemad's suggestions, my only thought would be with "camp leader" we're getting back into the area of official-sounding roles, so might need to tweak the wording?

Alternatively, piggybacking off badgemad's marshmallow suggestions, we could move up the ranks of camp cooking skills, and have e.g. Marshmallow flamer, Eggy bread burner, ..., expert marshmallow toaster, ..., supreme camp chef extraordinaire?
Smoores Expert?

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
loving that idea. veteran makes me a feel rather old.

how about fire starter, saucepan cleaner, chief tent pitcher, rainbow wrangler,

raaowdot

Administrator
Staff member
I like the old award idea but I think we could certainly use the camp cooking theme. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll try and compose a list this weekend.