• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Taking Senior Section members to London

Cookie

Regular (50+ posts)
My five Rangers would like to go to London for a weekend. They want to stay in a Travelodge and they want to visit the Science Museum , Tate Modern and the market at Convent Garden. Problem 1 leader definitely would be with them on the journey, the 2nd a leader in training would meet them in London where she is studying. Is this acceptable?

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
Er, so is this a "peer group residential"? Or does one of them have their senior section permit? Or are you running it as a leader as a senior section residential?

The answer really depends on the specifics of what is being planned, which I can't tell from what you've said. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Peer group residentials / senior section permit residentials: http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/residential_events/events_run_by_senior_section.aspx

Senior Section residentials (run by a leader): http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/activities/residential_events/senior_section_residential.aspx

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
So are you querying the ratios? I didn't read the full manual pages, but I believe the minimum ratio is 2 leaders, but can be reduced to 1 on agreement of commissioner. So if you're only going to have 1 leader travelling down, but 2 throughout the rest of the residential, then on the face of it I wouldn't have thought your commissioner would have any major issues with only 5 girls... but that's the person you need to speak to as ultimately they get the final say.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
and holiday adviser ultimately has the final say I believe as they have to sign off application before you can formally go ahead or not?

so probably best to speak to DC or holiday adviser and run senario past them

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
and holiday adviser ultimately has the final say I believe as they have to sign off application before you can formally go ahead or not?

so probably best to speak to DC or holiday adviser and run senario past them
The REN forms are approved by the commissioner not the adviser (altho' best practice is for commissioners to involve advisers).

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Are any of the SS members aged over 18? Could you possibly be with another over 18 until you get on the train, then be met at the other end by the other over 18? Then you would only have the train journey with only 1 over 18?

Cookie

Regular (50+ posts)
Next hurdle my Residential Adviser isn't keen on us staying at a Travelodge as she says rooms will not suit our needs. As anyone had this problem before and how did they deal with it ?

Squirrel-Nutkin

how many rooms were you thinking of booking for you, another adult and 5 girls? maybe that is what she was referring to? travel lodges I've stayed in have a double bed and a sofa which can be turned into a single bed and a pull out bit under sofa that can be turned into single bed.

but holiday adviser has responsibility I believe for approving premises for use for residentials, so if she is saying "no", you can't use and may have to consider alternatives (perhaps a youth hostel?)

Cookie

Regular (50+ posts)
Not keen last time we went to London we stayed in one and were placed in a large dormitory and people were coming in to the early hours.
After hours of looking at hotels in London I have found one with a room for 5 and a twin room but twice the price of Travelodge where you can get 2 family rooms and a twin.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
You should be able to reserve a dorm in a hostel for just you. You need to speak to the hostel directly and explain that you need it solely for your group. Most hostels should be able to do this (you will just have to pay the price for all the beds). Many hostels cater for school groups that have to have private usage too.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
how many rooms were you thinking of booking for you, another adult and 5 girls? maybe that is what she was referring to? travel lodges I've stayed in have a double bed and a sofa which can be turned into a single bed and a pull out bit under sofa that can be turned into single bed.
A lot of Travelodges no longer have the sofa bed. I understand it's because people were booking a room for 1 or 2 adults and then 4 or 5 were actually staying!

LFC_dragonfly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Not sure why your IRA has rejected the accomodation plan. On the face of it, I can't see an issue with any of your arrangements. My SS leader took us away with just her as a leader on many occasions, both indoors and out. Obviously with approval from commissioners, as they would have signed the forms.

I think you need to speak to her about it, as only she will know what her perceived issues are. And in reality, you only need the commissioners approval anyway, the IRA is just that, an advisor. Though of course a consensus between you all would be preferable!!

Boris

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Just trying to work out why the Travel Lodge is considered unsuitable.

Looking at your rooms does that mean two leaders in one twin, two Rangers in the second twin and the remaining three Rangers in the family room? If so, does the family room have single beds?

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Just trying to work out why the Travel Lodge is considered unsuitable.

Looking at your rooms does that mean two leaders in one twin, two Rangers in the second twin and the remaining three Rangers in the family room? If so, does the family room have single beds?
Family rooms tend to have a double bed and a sofa that pulls out to give 2 further beds. I've never seen a Travelodge room with twin beds but they must have them!

Figgy

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Family rooms tend to have a double bed and a sofa that pulls out to give 2 further beds. I've never seen a Travelodge room with twin beds but they must have them!
The double bed often is 2 single bases and a double mattress on top. I'm guessing they can separate them to make a twin perhaps?

Rotherhithe youth hostel is worth a look. A 20min tube journey to the centre. Lots of dorms in varying sizes so you could have girls in a 5(6bed) room and leaders in a 2 bed room. Have been as a family & with a group of girls. 8 of them in a 10bed dorm& no one else booked into it as they knew it was a Guiding group.

Squirrel-Nutkin

I'm wondering if its been turned down because they think the rangers in one of the twin rooms and the leaders in the other twin room will end up having to share a bed? perhaps there is a misunderstanding and you just need to confirm what the sleeping facilities will be?