• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Unnoficial uniform

Beth Gibby

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi
I just wanted to know what unofficial uniform is available for adult leaders
And also what is the warmest adult leader wear. And why is there not much choice of smart wear?

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Unofficial and uniform do not go together; in short, there is no such thing. Unofficial clothing should not be worn to unit meetings, and certainly not on public occasions.

Leaders wear has a range of options which, in my opinion can look smart with black or navy trousers/skirt and shoes, if given a bit of tlc with an iron! There's a new jacket just come out too.

The blouse works as a standalone item, or under a jacket, and has recently been altered to be slightly more flattering (although inevitability won't please everyone).

We have a good amount of choice for the price, which is only likely to reduce in range and increase in price if everyone starts opting for unofficial clothing ranges - the uniform is a key part of our identity.

I personally find the hoody warm enough, but I can't speak for the other items. The blouse is good with a vest top underneath and a jacket on top too :)

Last edited:

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Agree with Browniebeth, there is leaderwear or memberwear. We can wear either but when an occasion calls for 'uniform' it is leaderwear that's meant.

There is quite a selection so it depends on what you do regularly and where you do it. There are hoodies which are leaderwear and you can layer up beneath them with anything. I have just bought the new softshell leaders jacket which is fine but you need some thing 'official' beneath as it is zipped and quite often open, but will work well outdoors I think ( I bought because I hate hoodies).

So much depends on what you prefer..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hard to say yet, I've only had it a week but it should be. I'm impressed with another non guiding soft shell I have.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I do Guides in a school hall and it can be a bit draughty. I usually find that the polo & hoody are warm enough. If I want an extra layer I have a cheap black T-shirt I wear underneath.

There are the Anglia hoodies that are available to be worn and are supposed to be quite nice, but they're more for camp wear than as uniform.

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Hi
I just wanted to know what unofficial uniform is available for adult leaders
And also what is the warmest adult leader wear. And why is there not much choice of smart wear?
For smart wear you can wear a navy suit of your own (skirt or trousers) with one of the official blouses. I don't think that is clear in the Guiding Essentials catalogue.

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
our hall is very cold I don't find the polo and a hoodie warm enough so I put a long sleeve top underneath. I have been known to wear my fleece on top of hoodie and polo as well.

the only item of uniform I would really like is a long sleeved top a bit like the brownies one with stripey sleeves. I don't find the material that thick of any of it which is fine in summer but not particularly brilliant in winter.

that could just be me though.