• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Volunteer and Recruitment Fairs

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
Our Local town is holding a Volunteer and Job Recruitment fair this weekend, which at last minute we have booked a stall for.

We thought it seemed like a good opportunity for new leader recruitment which was worth a try. But having never been to a similar event before not really sure what to expect.

What type of person do these events attract?

Have others found these type of event a useful resource for recruiting new leaders?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
They can be really useful, but what you need to have is a means of attracting people to stop at your stall - so can you have live demonstrations, or lively-looking displays? Can you use props or other materials to draw people across to have a look?

Next step is what you will say to the people who do hover at the stall? What sort of roles are available in your area, to cater for differing potential commitment levels? Do you have leaflets they can take away, ideally with contact details? Are your team ready to talk enthusiastically but realistically about what is so attractive about being a Leader in Guiding, what they get out of it, why it is worthwhile, what support and training would be available?

Finally there's the follow-up - are you ready to record the details of those who express interest, and are there people ready to follow up with options of where and when to help out, and a warm and supportive welcome to anyone who chooses to join?

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Who it attracts depends very much on the the jobs being recruited for ........... it could be supermarket shelf-stackers or it could be a specific industry in your town. But, in one sense that doesn't really matter because we leaders have all sorts of employment back-grounds ..... so the shelf-stacker is as likely to volunteer as the engineer.

I think Fenris has covered most of it ......... I would stress that you're looking for all kinds of volunteers; yes to run units or help run units, but what else - admin / accounts, PR, manage waiting lists etc. Even if you don't currently have a vacancy for "waiting list administrator" use it or the accounts as examples of how people can help, without making the regular weekly commitment, or as an example of using a specific skill or interest someone has. Then, who knows ... they start with that, and two weeks later they're County Commissioner!

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
Are your team ready to talk enthusiastically but realistically about what is so attractive about being a Leader in Guiding, what they get out of it, why it is worthwhile, what support and training would be available?
Yeah, the 'you'll enjoy it because...' and the 'it's flexible to suit your interests and available time because...' angles, not just the 'we're desperate please help us' and the 'you could do our accounts for us if you can't help every week...' angles. The latter two not being all that appealing even if they are true.

Have more options to name than just helping with accounts - sharing a particular talent/interest/skill, helping girls with a badge (sounds less 'school ma'am-y' then 'badge tester' to the unititiated), helping at x y z event/activity/competition, etc... Of course doing accounts for a unit is valuable help, and some people will want to offer it. But I cringe sometimes when it's the first thing we suggest to newcomers/third parties when people say they don't want a weekly role. It sounds so dull and tedious and unappealing, especially to head up the list! (and I'm an accountant saying that). Every time I've seen it trotted out the person it was being suggested to almost visibly recoiled and became even firmer in their 'no sorry I can't help'....

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Have you got something like a small pop up tent that you could have in your area? Or would you be able to have candles and do cooking over a candle to make rice crispy cakes? Having something eye-catching or edible to bring people in while you chat could make you stand out.