• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly Discussion: For whom the bell shaped badge tolls...

What do you think the new programme will mean for challenge badges? (Select all you think apply)

• They will continue to be used by some units as an alternative to the actual programme

• They will drop in popularity due to programme changes offering what made them popular

• Units will move to using them for residentials or activity days but not for meetings

• Existing well known challenges will continue to do well but newcomers will struggle

• Badges that cover niche areas will do well but not some of the more generic ones

• They will become popular as people pick up on now obsolete badges

• Drop in popularity due to time restrictions alongside official programme

• Other

• No change

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
My current thinking is: do the explore skills builder in meetings and camp skills at a site. Our meeting place is a school hall so no fires allowed and nowhere to pitch tents. Might put on a day at the local holiday house / campsite for girls to work through the skills, with the option of staying over for those who want to.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
My current thinking is: do the explore skills builder in meetings and camp skills at a site. Our meeting place is a school hall so no fires allowed and nowhere to pitch tents. Might put on a day at the local holiday house / campsite for girls to work through the skills, with the option of staying over for those who want to.
For Brownie level, can put up lightweight tents indoors and do everything bar the actual pegging of them.

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
We will still use Challenge Badges. As a rainbow leader with only the roundabouts before, we did one R and 2 or 3 challenge badges a term. Running our sessions based on badges helped us plan our sessions, and the girls love getting the badges and wear them with pride on their polo shirts. They are hugely excited and come and show me when the latest badge had to go on their back!! When they leave at PoG we give them a fleece blanket to start off a camp blanket with all their Rainbow badges. Badges are very important and I hope that will continue. We will still do them in the 40% time for 'doing what makes our unit special'. I expect they will still be used but units won't have so much time to do them, so 'popularity decline' may be seen, but not necessarily by choice. I plan to complete 1SB per term and see that as similar to one Roundabout per term, we will of course do UMAs too, but they will take the place of a challenge badge, so in effect we will do fewer challenge badges. No badges earnt for UMAs for a long time, so the total badges the girls get each term will be fewer.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
No badges earnt for UMAs for a long time, so the total badges the girls get each term will be fewer.
for the younger girls, the 'gap' between starting a themed award by starting the skillsbuilder and building up enough UMA to award the theme award is rather long, especially if guidelines are followed about mixing up the UMA and doing a mixture of themes.

Regarding badges, I am wondering if the range of 'fun' badges from trading will expand/change a little to fill/bridge any gaps that may evolve as the programme is rolled out. Let's face it the fun badges have changed/evolved somewhat year to year and overtime and we've seen fundraising fun badges, I've had adventures, cooking, I've had a sleepover to friendship/pets etc [they are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head!]. So no reason to suppose the fun badges won't continue and remain topical and they may even expand a little? so girls I think will be getting just as many badges as before

BeccaSooty

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
I think that the challenge badges would still be good for themes for camps and holidays, but hopefully won't be used as fillers for the unit meetings anymore. Also, in future as people get used to the layout and format of the official programme, and more leaders join with little or no experience of having to plan from scratch, I wonder/hope that the challenge badges would have to adapt accordingly. So a 3 page challenge pack with just a list of generic activities and the only differentiation between sections is the number they have to complete, just won't be good enough anymore - leaders and girls will be expecting activities with full instructions which are challenging for their level.
I know that many people have used challenge badges as a significant fundraiser, perhaps it's been a bit of a easy win in the past, I think leaders should be looking at alternative fundraising methods, at least for the next few years.
I'm certainly not planning on doing any challenge badges within my unit meetings for the foreseeable future, there's so much great stuff in the new programme, I don't need to!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
for the younger girls, the 'gap' between starting a themed award by starting the skillsbuilder and building up enough UMA to award the theme award is rather long, especially if guidelines are followed about mixing up the UMA and doing a mixture of themes.

Regarding badges, I am wondering if the range of 'fun' badges from trading will expand/change a little to fill/bridge any gaps that may evolve as the programme is rolled out. Let's face it the fun badges have changed/evolved somewhat year to year and overtime and we've seen fundraising fun badges, I've had adventures, cooking, I've had a sleepover to friendship/pets etc [they are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head!]. So no reason to suppose the fun badges won't continue and remain topical and they may even expand a little? so girls I think will be getting just as many badges as before
Actually, evidence so far suggests not so. The Brownies loved their first UMA activity and were chuffed to already have 45 minutes clocked up towards their 4-hour target. We'll start on a Skills Builder soon and that will give them a chance to start filling in their new badge book. So long as they are regularly making progress, and the activities are fun, they won't mind.

The fun badges are totally unrelated to programme (old or new) and only ever used by a proportion of units. There are units that love them and buy/issue them all. But sales from our depot would suggest that in our area nobody buys any of them. At all. And with there being more official badges, there might be stability, there might be a decrease, but I can see no reason or evidence to suggest an increase in demand.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus

Surely though, it will only seem like a long time to those who are used to getting badges more regularly? Soon, your intake will just accept that 'this is how long it takes to earn a badge'

And if they're that bothered about badges (Which I find a lot of girls aren't) then they can do one of the interest badges on offer for the section

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
I can't see our Rainbows bothering about it being a long time between badges as they generally only have approx 6-9 badges when they leave if they have been with us for 2 years. They are excited when they are presented with a badge but just enjoy coming to meetings and taking part in activities......last term we had a wide game in the woods, a sausage sizzle by the river bank, den building in the park, a scavenger hunt and making small bug hotels, most were girls suggestions, no doubt there is probably a badge to fit but we just had fun. I think Challenge badges will probably still be used sometimes as extras but more on Pack Holidays and Camps.