• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly Discussion: No awakeovers on our watch

Just had our first sleepover with our set of brownies. I learnt some things that I have never experienced before in guiding. Bare in mind these girls are all around 7-8. First we read a story and some of the brownies fell asleep these brownies despite everything going on did not wake until morning. The rest went as follows after trying until midnight for them to settle down i let them get up mainly because it had got so hot in the room i opened the fire doors for ten minutes,

1.Did you know playing noughts and crosses at midnight is a thing.
2.Apparently 01:00 am is the time to lay out 150 mini squishes on the floor to show other brownies what you have and then open the fire dors so they fly everywhere (despite being told no toys apart from one teddy)..
3, Eating cereal at 01:30 is normal and not a completely weird thing that i thought.
4. Jumping on the airbeds and waving teddies in the air for 20 minutes is also normal at 02:20.

Last edited:

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Just had our first sleepover with our set of brownies. I learnt some things that I have never experienced before in guiding. Bare in mind these girls are all around 7-8. First we read a story and some of the brownies fell asleep these brownies despite everything going on did not wake until morning. The rest went as follows after trying until midnight for them to settle down i let them get up mainly because it had got so hot in the room i opened the fire doors for ten minutes,

1.Did you know playing noughts and crosses at midnight is a thing.
2.Apparently 01:00 am is the time to lay out 150 mini squishes on the floor to show other brownies what you have and then open the fire dors so they fly everywhere (despite being told no toys apart from one teddy)..
3, Eating cereal at 01:30 is normal and not a completely weird thing that i thought.
4. Jumping on the airbeds and waving teddies in the air for 20 minutes is also normal at 02:20.
None of those are normal, nor permitted. However, being sent home for misbehaviour can occur at any hour . . .

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
You have made it sound amusing, but I doubt at 2.20am the leaders saw anything to smile about.

In order to avoid a repeat, and therefore avoid setting a precedent of unacceptable night time behaviour, review your strategies, perhaps read some of the ideas posted in this thread, seek advice from those with experience, and set a firm line of what will be tolerated and what won't, with consequences clearly explained.
Grumpy Brownies and leaders do not enjoy the next day!

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I seriously would have lost my *%^ if any of my brownies behaved that way! I set out at our parent meeting that bedtime wasn't a mere guideline, as the leaders needed sleep just as much as the girls did (probably more). And as we're giving up our free time to take them away, they would behave. I still had to speak to a few girls, and probably had to use THE VOICE a few times, but eventually all was quiet at a reasonable hour.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
What has become normal is for two leaders to sit either just inside the dorm or outside with the door open, after final warnings etc to ensure quiet until the most awake Guide has dropped off...never had to do that until a few years ago..

Snowflake1

Beginner (10+ posts)
Oh dear I would certainly not have permitted this behaviour! There is no need of it and they were just playing up because they could! We always have at least one Leader ( usually me!) stay in dorm until the Rainbows & Brownies are all asleep. Guides do get a bit more leeway but would sit in there if I had too! You need to be much firmer next time. That is if it hasn’t put you off? This is not a pleasant experience for anyone!

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
(Snowflake)
We always have at least one Leader ( usually me!) stay in dorm until the Rainbows & Brownies are all asleep. Guides do get a bit more leeway but would sit in there if I had too!

Best practice (sadly, we have to protect ourselves against malicious allegations): never be on your own in the dorm.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
What are your tips for allowing for some fun, but making sure that some sleep is actually achieved. Please make a note of which section/s you are referring to to help.
having an 'adult' sat in the sleeping area 'watching' and 'sushing' (in full view of other adults, or if necessary having two adults sitting there) and rotating round so all adults get a turn usually helps a little... for if they stop chatting for long enough they often do fall asleep

Snowflake1

Beginner (10+ posts)
(Snowflake)
We always have at least one Leader ( usually me!) stay in dorm until the Rainbows & Brownies are all asleep. Guides do get a bit more leeway but would sit in there if I had too!

Best practice (sadly, we have to protect ourselves against malicious allegations): never be on your own in the dorm.
I am never on my own in a dorm without others there! It is just usually me that is always there as I have the patience to sit in the dark (always a light left on of course) and quiet to reassure them. I’m usually the one who reads the bedtime story for Rainbows & Brownies too, with others there. Thanks for being concerned but no need. You stated yourself previously you walked around Waddow with one Guide for an hour whist the others were in their tents, as she couldn’t get to sleep, Now I would not do this or let anyone else! We are never alone in any building or room with so many of us there!

Last edited:
They were given cereal as they said they were really hungry and could not sleep because they were hungry, surprisingly the milk did seem to calm those particular girls down and they were the next to settle down.

Also it was such a hot night and with all the brownies in the one room it did become unbearable at certain points. Once I opened the patio doors for a while and let some air in this also helped some of the brownies settle down.

Last edited:

NosilaC

Regular (50+ posts)
I learnt some things that I have never experienced before in guiding.
I share your pain: it's never happened before, but we've had a couple of sleepovers during the past year or so where the Brownies got up at crazy o'clock (well after they'd apparently gone to sleep) and started playing games, including (on one occasion) 'tag'. Tried some of the suggestions above, but to no avail - so when it came to Brownie Holiday last term I warned both the Brownies and their parents that "there's no rule that says Brown Owl has to take them on Holiday - and that if we had a repeat performance, we wouldn't be going away at all next year" [a threat I was quite prepared to carry out]. I also pointed out that if I was woken up in the middle of the night, I wouldn't be the only one, as the parents would be phoned to come and collect their daughter, whatever hour it was. Result: some stunned parents, chastened Brownies and leaders who actually got two decent nights sleep! Now just need to build on this - have made a note of all above suggestions to add to my armoury...