• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

What counts for Look Wider?

BlueJay13

Regular (50+ posts)
I'm starting Look Wider but not as part of a Senior Section or Ranger unit and I'm having some problems working out what counts. Especially for the Independent Living section. I get that things have to be a challenge and I'm going to learn to drive for phase 3 but most of it is budgeting and bills that I do anyway (I'm 22 and have lived away from my parents for three and a half years). I've recently applied for ESA and housing benefit and I was wondering whether that counted.

Also, I'm probably going to have some psychotherapy for my mental health problems, could that count for any phase for Fit for Life. If I'm eligible it'll probably be quite substantial and emotionally draining.

BlueJay13

Regular (50+ posts)
Another also, I know things done at school/college/uni don't count but I'm going to do some barista training to help me get a job. I'm not a student anymore so it's not part of education. Can I count it for independent living?

floss

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
you can count anything you've done while a member of girlguiding after you left Guides - whether as a YL, part of TSS or as a Guider. You don't have to have made a formal declaration of starting Look Wider before you can count things
I would count psychotherapy as a phase 3 fit for life. And filling in ESA forms etc definitely counts for independent living in my book!

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Personally, I think you should be able to count anything from when you turned 14 (and weren't a Guide) if you were in Guiding at the time. When you are "backdating" stuff, think about whether it would have been a challenge for you at the time. So when you were preparing to move out, there would have been stuff that was a challenge to you because it was new (things like budgeting, sorting out bills etc).

BlueJay13

Regular (50+ posts)
Thanks. My other problem is who do I get to say that what I've done is enough for each phase? My Brown Owl wants to support me but obviously knows nothing about what's required.

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks. My other problem is who do I get to say that what I've done is enough for each phase? My Brown Owl wants to support me but obviously knows nothing about what's required.
There isn't really any formal process. Normally it would be your senior section peers you would agree it with. It wouldn't take long to bring her up to speed on the levels of challenge and commitment required at each phase. Talking it through with co leaders or another member of your district would be fine if you ask me.

Psychotherapy I would agree as a phase 3 FFL, it's a big undertaking and definitely not something you'd be a passive participant in. I think barista training would be fine too, it's something you're choosing to do to enhance your skill set.