• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

What to expect at Basic Peer Educator Training?

TeddyIncredible

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm planning on going to a basic peer educator training weekend soon, what should I expect? Is it lots of little sessions? One big group? And how many people?

I'm a little nervous as I'm anxious around new people, especially for a full weekend! Any advice or anything I need to know in advance would be really appreciated! :)

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I'm planning on going to a basic peer educator training weekend soon, what should I expect? Is it lots of little sessions? One big group? And how many people?

I'm a little nervous as I'm anxious around new people, especially for a full weekend! Any advice or anything I need to know in advance would be really appreciated! :)
Just wondering, are you going to the one in Dartford next month? If so, I will be there!!

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
I went to one...I knew 1 participant, the QM and 1 of the trainers all from the forum but had never met any of them.

Had a brilliant weekend...it's lots of fun and you play lots of icebreakers as most people won't know each other.
even if you don't end up running any sessions you learn lots of skills which can be used at a unit level. 4

basically most of the time you participate in the sessions, so you do the activities then sunday before home you in pairs plan a session and run one (or 2?) or the activities you've chosen.
plus there's some talking bits like health and safety, child protection etc

TeddyIncredible

Veteran (100+ posts)
Just wondering, are you going to the one in Dartford next month? If so, I will be there!!
That was the one I wanted to go to but I couldn't get the Friday off work! I've put in the application for the Anglia one in a few weeks.

I went to one...I knew 1 participant, the QM and 1 of the trainers all from the forum but had never met any of them.

Had a brilliant weekend...it's lots of fun and you play lots of icebreakers as most people won't know each other.
even if you don't end up running any sessions you learn lots of skills which can be used at a unit level. 4

basically most of the time you participate in the sessions, so you do the activities then sunday before home you in pairs plan a session and run one (or 2?) or the activities you've chosen.
plus there's some talking bits like health and safety, child protection etc
Thanks for the information - that is kind of what I imagined it would be. I'm really excited for this. I wish I'd thought to do it sooner!

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
That was the one I wanted to go to but I couldn't get the Friday off work! I've put in the application for the Anglia one in a few weeks.

Thanks for the information - that is kind of what I imagined it would be. I'm really excited for this. I wish I'd thought to do it sooner!
Hi,
Did you hear back from the anglia training, as I know it's full, it might be worth calling the anglia office to hear if you have a space.

The training is being run by my partner, it will be made up mostly of people who do not know one another and you'll be supported in mixing. Ill drop you a pm too.