• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Where can I buy Brownie trousers who is taller than normal...?

My 7 year old daughter is quite tall and slim and we are really struggling to get a pair of suitable trousers for which either don't make her look like a clown, with the length about 6 inches above her ankles....or if they are anywhere near the correct length they would fall down because they are far too big at the waist.

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ask trading if they can provide extra long trousers. If that fails, try finding some normal brown trousers that'll fit her (maybe leggings, as they'll look most like the current brownie uniform).

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
These are the details you may need to try and get a pair that is suitable for your daughter

If you would like to place an order over the phone, or if you prefer to discuss your query or issue with one of our sales advisers, please call our sales team on 0161 941 2237.

Our business hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (9.30am on Wednesday), please note our reception closes at 4.30pm each day. Outside of these hours you can leave a message on our voicemail service and we will call you back as soon as possible on the next working day.

Or

Write to us at:

Girlguiding Trading Service, Atlantic Street, Broadheath, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 5EQ

bess342

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
What I've suggested to a lot of Brownie Parents in the same position is buy a pair of Brownie leggings the correct length and sew waist band elastic to size that fits.

I've had a look at your website but its pretty much the same as the book she was given when she joined. They only quote waist size and not leg size. Are they assuming that no matter how much bigger they are round the waist it doesn't affect their leg size....??

Thanks Ivy....but my wife tells me that the leggings are just as bad. They only quote waist size and there appears to be no real difference in leg length.

You may be right Bess...but when you are paying good money for a pair of kids trousers you shouldn't HAVE to start making alterations to them. Why do they think that there are kids with bigger waists but not longer legs....??

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
You may be right Bess...but when you are paying good money for a pair of kids trousers you shouldn't HAVE to start making alterations to them. Why do they think that there are kids with bigger waists but not longer legs....??
I think you misunderstood some of the posts. Trading can provide uniform items in sizes other than those shown in the catalogue if you contact them. They may not be able to provide a size that would fit your daughter, but calling them to ask should be your first step.

bess342

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
In the catalogue it states a height in cm and waist measurement. Trading may be able to get you a special pair made for your daughters exact measurement but I think they do cost more. You will have to contact them direct though. Extra sizes are not on website or listed in catalogue.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Trading will try their very hardest to produce longer or wider pieces of uniform for members :) they're more than happy to help!

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I know it's not the same, but some of our girls in the past have bought a skort and worn it over the top of regular leggings in black or brown. We had one who was taller than one of the leaders in her last few terms, so we just turned a blind eye in meetings because the uniform clearly wasn't going to fit her, even if it was worth buying something new that close to moving to Guides.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I suggest to mine that any pair of Brown trousers that looks good with the hoodie is absolutely fine, and would probably be a better purchase than thin brownie trousers or leggings. Dark brown cords - darker than the hoodie shade of brown - look smarter than faded and baggy leggings with knee bumps that are so short that they are showing off the girl's pink stripy ankle socks!

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
I've had to sew tucks into both the leggins and skort, but now outgrown the leggins and wears some that were in primark for a couple of quid.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I've had to sew tucks into both the leggins and skort, but now outgrown the leggins and wears some that were in primark for a couple of quid.
Were trading not able to help you? I know we've had some specially-tailored Brownie trousers for a girl in our area, at no extra charge. For all that we are inclined to criticise them at times, it's worth giving them a chance to help.

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
Were trading not able to help you? I know we've had some specially-tailored Brownie trousers for a girl in our area, at no extra charge. For all that we are inclined to criticise them at times, it's worth giving them a chance to help.
As a parent I didn't know I could (I know now as a leader, but shes nearly 10!) But she isn't tall for her age, just has a tiny tummy (not fair) so I'm used to putting tuck in most of her clothes.

It was a problem in trying to size a 7 yrs old with a 22 inch chest, it just meant I didn't risk 2nd hand and went to the shop to try everything on.

I was just pointing out that I had the same problem with the skort.