• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? YL Advice

I have 4 guides who are now 15years of age and would like to stay on as Y/L's. I have been told they must leave and go to S/S but they have been a few times and haven't enjoyed the meetings at all. I have a feeling they will be told they have to leave guides for a year and then come back after that as Y/L's is this correct please?

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
There are two recommendations (that is all that they are, but remember why they are recommended!)
1. Guides should have a suitable break between leaving guides and returning as a YL at the same unit, the length varies- this is mostly for the new YL's benefit as the break helps to define a change from participant to leader.

2. Units of average sizes (say between 20 and 30) can only make use of 2 YLs at a time. This is to ensure there is enough for them to do, to learn and feel appreciated. You can work round this by having a rota, or you may want to encourage them to be YLs in other sections. I have friends who stayed on as YLs at guides as a larger group, they are now approaching 21 and are still bitter about their experiences, or lack of.

By being a YL, they are members of the Senior Section- they don't need to attend a group beyond unit meetings with their chosen section, however, they can do so if they wish. I went to rangers and didn't enjoy it, so I stuck with being a YL and loved it, everyone's different. :)

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
One point to think about is who is responsible for their annual subscription. Will you ask the girls to pay their own. Do leaders pay theirs or does it come out of subs, gift aid (if claimed) or additional fundraising - different units vary depending on how they choose to fund things. You might need to ask the girls for a contribution if subs won't cover it all.

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Why haven't they enjoyed the Senior Section meetings? May be it is worth having a chat with them and then speaking to the Senior Section Leader to try to sort this out.................. it's no good having a Seniors unit is new members won't join it for some reason

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
we don't have local SS, so recently we've started encouraging the girl who wish to stay with us as YLs to do a rotation round the other units in the village, we feel that if they go straight from Guides to being YLs int he same unit, they either have a lot of trouble changin role to being part of the leadership team, or, they don't really try and think that they can now enjoy all the bits they want and not listen when they feel like it

so we encourage (at least) a term at rainbows and (at least) a term a brownies [ with an option at any time of staying in R of B] (preferably one academic year overall) plus at least one holiday or overnight with another section before coming back to Guides as YLs

we find this gives them space to grow up away from the unit and a host of ideas when they come back, it also means that they can help transition between unit by bringing some of the Brownies up with them

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
By being members aged 14+ they're automatically SS members whether they attend a specific SS unit or not. But there are several things mixed in here.

I would agree it's worth asking why they didn't like SS - is it something resolvable?

4 is a very large number of YLs to have in one unit - is there really enough work to occupy all of them, every week?

Even if you had them split into pairs and each pair attend fortnightly, would there be enough work for 2, and would the unit be able to afford their subscriptions, and outing fees if all 4 were to attend outings/residentials?

Speaking from experience, unless there is absolutely no alternative, it is a bad idea for a girl to go from being one of the Guides one week, to being one of the Leaders the next. Even half a term of a break makes a big difference, as they are more comfortable with the change of role, so are the other Guides, and whoever takes over as PL has a chance to do things her way.

So yes, it's perfectly possible to do it, but I think it's important to take time to consider whether it is the right option for each of the 4, and for the unit.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
4 is a very large number of YLs to have in one unit - is there really enough work to occupy all of them, every week?

Even if you had them split into pairs and each pair attend fortnightly, would there be enough work for 2, and would the unit be able to afford their subscriptions, and outing fees if all 4 were to attend outings/residentials?
I'd like to echo this. We've had four for a while (not my decision, I inherited them with the unit) and although they're all great girls, four is just too many for one unit and I won't be taking on another young leader at least until at least three have moved on to uni or elsewhere! It can be a bit of a nightmare at times trying to balance giving my other leaders plus all the young leaders the opportunities they need to develop as a leader (especially when they were all working on LQ/ YLQ at the same time!) as well as allow the PLs and guides to take on responsibility for as much as they're able to as well as keeping the programme balanced and varied and including all the things we should. We had nearly as many leaders/ YLs as girls at one point, which adds to the financial strain of annual subscriptions and leader/YL trainings.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
manual I believe recommends "Ideally there should be no more than two"
http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/default.aspx?page=288
It does, we have a unit in our area which has 4, but each pair attends fortnightly. Even so, depending on the unit, 2 may be more than can be occupied (especially in the Guide section where the PLs should be doing some of the Leadership too) or the ideal number - it all depends on how large the unit is, spread of ages, girls who need extra support, how much experience the YLs have, etc.

Ururupuin

Beginner (10+ posts)
Could you have a SS Patrol within Guides and let them YL elsewhere?
The patrol could be self financing as regards to census with a small donation to Guide funds each week to cover expenses and working out their own costs/ balancing their own books would be great skills to learn

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Could you have a SS Patrol within Guides and let them YL elsewhere?
The patrol could be self financing as regards to census with a small donation to Guide funds each week to cover expenses and working out their own costs/ balancing their own books would be great skills to learn
Good idea if it would work with those particular girls. Don't want to upset the official SS unit though. Also quite often SS (in my experience as a SS leader) prefer to meet less often - fortnightly and school/college quite often takes precedence. Would be ok if the girls could work fairly independently on their Look Wider.