• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

YLQ advise

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have two girls (14yo) who are helping with my Rainbow unit.
They used to be Guides but have recently stopped going and been taken off Go!
I'm asking them if they want to do their YLQ. However I've only been involved with guiding for a year so I don't know much about it.
Is it basically the same as ALQ?
If I show them my booklet for my ALQ to give them an idea of what's expected. Is this a good idea?

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
I am not sure but I think the YLQ is mostly the unit of the ALQ that deals with running activities, balanced programme etc plus a little bit about local guiding. You can download it from the senior section website. The ALQ is probably a bit intimidating for a 14yo but you can use it to show that you have done a qualification along the same lines but on a bigger scale.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
You need to get in touch your YL or TSS advisor. I would also have a look (and encourage them to do the same) at the TSS website for all the opportunities they can access. Here is a link to the YLQ page.

You can also download a copy of the new syllabus for the YLQ. It all transfers to the LQ if they want to do that later, but it's now 6 much smaller, bitesize modules rather than just the first 2 modules of the LQ.

Definitely download the workbook, as it has lots of helpful information in the front of it, and will probably answer most, if not all of your questions.

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
They can also be Young Leaders without working on a qualification but you do need to get them added to your unit team so you have access to their emergency contact details etc. And as they are under 16 they need to have consent forms the same as your rainbows. In our county we have a local form to complete and send to the YL adviser, depending in how it works in your area either she or your DC can add them to your team.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I wouldn't show them your ALQ booklet. That will be way too daunting for them.

I think it is definitely a good idea to show them the Senior Section website so they know what they can do now they are Senior Section members. As browniebeth says, the YLQ syllabus and workbook is on there. You can also purchase the Look Wider and More book from Trading which contains the YLQ. I bought that for my YL so she can bring it along to meetings and get things signed off.

Are they registered on Go as YLs?

Remember that your YLs don't have to do the YLQ if they don't want to. My YL has been helping us for about 1.5 years now (albeit as a DofE helper), and has just decided to be a YL and do her qualification. She is 16, so could go straight on to the ALQ, but she will get 2 badges if she does YLQ and ALQ. It also eases her into it a bit. I do think the YLQ is really good at getting the YLs something to aim for in what they are doing, rather than just becoming general dogsbodies, if you know what I mean.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
If you contact your Commissioner, she can update them on GO to reflect their new position (or authorise the District Key User to do it). She can also put you in touch with the local Young Leader Adviser.

At this stage they have two options. They can work on the Young Leader Qualification (YLQ), and the Adviser will be able to give all sorts of advice. Details are on the Senior Section CD Rom, so it would be worthwhile getting a copy (either a personal copy for them, or a unit copy they can have access to).

Or if they prefer, they can simply help out with the unit's activities, and gain leadership experience.

At 16 they face a further choice, as they have the option to start working on ALQ (although it can't be awarded until they are 18, they can have all the work done in advance).

And as members of Senior Section - all of the Senior Section options are open to them - so things like Queen's Guide and Commonwealth Award, opportunities like forums, International Camps, etc.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
At this stage they have two options. They can work on the Young Leader Qualification (YLQ), and the Adviser will be able to give all sorts of advice. Details are on the Senior Section CD Rom, so it would be worthwhile getting a copy (either a personal copy for them, or a unit copy they can have access to).
The TSS CD has been discontinued as far as I know, and replaced by this book. If they look at the TSS website and decide the YLQ is the only thing they want to do (if any), you can just download that for free from there :)

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
If they have been taken off GO then you will need to chat to your DC so that she can add them to your Unit. As Young Leaders they will be part of your Unit Team and you will pay Census for them.
Your DC should be able to put you in touch with local Senior Section adviser

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Definitely need to be on GO if helping regularly and not just the odd week here and there. And as others have said will need to fund their subscription - normally from your unit funds as part of the Leadership team.

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks guys. I've said to them that whether they do it is entirely up to them. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can so they can make an informed choice.

I said that if they were to do it now, it would be less likely to interfere with their GCSEs.
But also said they can give it a go and if it's too much they can stop. Or of they decided to do it down the road we can sign them up.

I said for them to have a chat with each other and parents. I've also sent them a link to the work book.

I've spoken to someone about putting them on Go for me.

Emmaluvseeyore, I do worry I use them as a general dogsbody and don't give them enough responsibility. But then they keep coming back and don't want to help with the term plan.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Emmaluvseeyore, I do worry I use them as a general dogsbody and don't give them enough responsibility. But then they keep coming back and don't want to help with the term plan.
The easiest way to start introducing them into running things is to get them to run games and work with small groups of girls. My YL (16) and Brownie Helper (13) come to our planning meetings, so they get the opportunity to pitch their ideas. Sometimes they have ideas, sometimes they don't. I try and give them the opportunity to run meetings - they actually did that twice last term and were great - but they have kinda only just worked their way up to doing that having helped a while. This term they will be assisting with a group doing an interest badge (we have about 5 groups doing different badges), the Brownie Helper will be doing the Brownies Go For It with our 2 in their last term, and the YL will be doing a Promise activity towards her YLQ.