• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Ylq

frantastic

Beginner (10+ posts)
A local young leader has been told that she has to finish her YLQ before her 16th birthday.
I know you can start the ALQ at 16 but I thought you could still complete the YLQ at least until the day before your 17th birthday as the website says it is a qualification for 14-16 year olds?

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
though everything she has done for hte ylq would count toward the alq with just a few extra sections to complete

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
A local young leader has been told that she has to finish her YLQ before her 16th birthday.
I know you can start the ALQ at 16 but I thought you could still complete the YLQ at least until the day before your 17th birthday as the website says it is a qualification for 14-16 year olds?
In a straight answer, she's got until the day before she turns 18, to complete her YLQ. At 18, she becomes an adult - in guiding terms!

If she's still doing her YLQ beyond 16, then she has more options. She could carry on doing it, and complete it before she turns 18. Then think about the LQ completely separately as an adult. Or, as qwerky mentions, she could see whether it makes more sense for her to "convert" some of her YLQ work over to the LQ and work on it once she turns 16, then be awarded it once she turns 18.
She may want to be rewarded for the YLQ specifically, so continue with that.
Depends what her school / college / work commitments are - she might want to just complete the YLQ and not commit to LQ straight away.

Ironically, I think the flexibility of the awards in that 14-18 period leads to confusion sometimes :)