• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Young Leader and SS awards

TeddyIncredible

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our unit will be having a new Young Leader start with us after the summer. She was a Guide, and as far as I am aware will not be going to SS meetings.

Is she allowed to work on SS awards, such as Look Wider, even though she doesn't attend meetings (aside from our Brownie meetings). I'd like to make sure she is aware of all opportunities open to her.

I'm looking to purchase the young leader qualification book for her, and this seems to be merged with the Look Wider booklet.

Sorry, I am new to this and would like any advice.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
There will be more knowledgeable responses, but basically yes absolutely. Any member of senior section can do them. The hard part is getting her involved, motivated and in contact with others in a similar situation to help her along the way.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Any member between the ages of 14 and 26 can do any of the Senior Section awards. Well, I suppose for the YLQ, they need to be 14-18. You don't have to go to SS meetings.

Good on you for making sure she is aware of her opportunities! I seriously think that the ALQ should include training on the Senior Section programme because most leaders will work with a SS member at some point, and a lot of leaders aren't aware that their YLs can do all the SS stuff. Just like you, many people don't really get what Senior Section is!

The Young Leader Qualification has recently changed, so I am not sure if the books have the new version of it yet. This page of the SS website has information on all the qualifications she can work towards: http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/seniorsection/whatcanido/index.html

frazzledguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
In addition, let her know what's going on in your district and county, invite her along to district meetings, trainings etc. She might not be able to attend everything but she should be kept informed.

Your area will probably have a senior section adviser and possibly a young leader guider, both of whom are there to help and support you and your YL. Ask your DC for details of the situation in your area.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Every member who is aged 14-26 is automatically a member of Senior Section, regardless of what other role she holds - and is encouraged to take up all of the SS opportunities she wishes - forums, awards, events etc.

So regardless of whether she is a Ranger, Young Leader, Leader, Commissioner, Adviser, TG member, Unit Helper or in some other role - she's still Senior Section!

TeddyIncredible

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you so much everyone. I've bought her the SS record book for her to consider if she wants to do anything else. I agree that we should all be given an introduction to what Senior Section is for leaders. I'd be gutted for anyone who missed out on these opportunities.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I was going to start a TSS group up this year but lacked members in the end, now got a couple of guides turning 14 beginning of next year,

There is a brilliant Module for TSS on the guiding page, is it called something like becoming a SS leader? If you get a chance its worth having a look I especially found the page where it told you want they could do at what age very interesting.

Just found the link https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/members_area__go/learning__development/e-learning/being_a_leader.aspx

TeddyIncredible

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you, I wish I could help at a TSS (thanks Chipmunk!) unit but think it would be too much on top of Brownies. I've bought the little book online and just found the download for the Young Leader qualification which I will print off as well. I hope this is the updated one?

I will do the online module as well, thank you for pointing that out. I had done the Brownie one previously. This will be a great way to find out more.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I would love to do TSS more than guides but can't get unit together and would need someone to take over the guides (I wouldn't mind being al for guides) little ones I can't do and guides can get a bit hormonal at times, I use to do air cadets so they were 13+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frazzledguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Thank you, I wish I could help at a TSS (thanks Chipmunk!) unit but think it would be too much on top of Brownies. I've bought the little book online and just found the download for the Young Leader qualification which I will print off as well. I hope this is the updated one?

I will do the online module as well, thank you for pointing that out. I had done the Brownie one previously. This will be a great way to find out more.
Just to say that your YL can do the YL qualification if she wants to but she can also be a YL without doing it.

The senior section programme is downloadable from their website
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/seniorsection/whatcanido/index.html