• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Young Leaders - what do you need?

fuzz

just fuzz =D
I've recently taken on the role of Division Young Leader Adviser (jobshare - I'm not completely daft!) and have been trawling this sub-forum for issues, concerns and ideas for a while now.

Our Division is huge, geographically, and we have a decent number of YLs - some active members of SS groups and some not. Up till now there hasn't really been anyone dedicated to this position, and we're keen to get our presence known and to create a YL 'group' of sorts. We'd really like to get all the YLs together occasionally (once a term, probably) for a sort of mentoring / ideas share / information / social evening.

Our first task is to knock together a questionnaire to send out to all YLs in the Division alongside the invitation to the first 'gathering' in July. As well as obvious things like what nights they can meet etc, with this questionnaire we hope to get an idea of what the YLS feel they need in terms of support from us or from one another, what they feel they know about the YLQ and the other options available to them, and just generally how they are finding being a YL.

I was hoping YLs of the forum may be able to give me an idea of what questions you would like to be asked / things that should be covered in an initial 'putting the feelers out' questionnaire. Not just YLs, of course; if other advisers, or anyone with a YL at their unit could suggest things it would be appreciated.

Thanks =]

Lydia!

Veteran (100+ posts)
Word of warning though, the YLQ may be changing shortly :) sorry can't give any more info on that....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

sverran

Beginner (10+ posts)
I am watching this thread with great interest as the County YL Adviser (I was completely daft ;) ), with a big area and no records from the previous post holder. Its been very much a baptism of fire, I have also heard that big changes are afoot so with that in mind my priority is trying to find all the YLs in my county, and creating a central record of them all so that when the changes are announced I can ensure all resources and information is up to date

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am watching this thread with great interest as the County YL Adviser (I was completely daft ;) ), with a big area and no records from the previous post holder. Its been very much a baptism of fire, I have also heard that big changes are afoot so with that in mind my priority is trying to find all the YLs in my county, and creating a central record of them all so that when the changes are announced I can ensure all resources and information is up to date
I should think that your County GO person should be able to get you the details of all the YLs in your County?

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Word of warning though, the YLQ may be changing shortly :) sorry can't give any more info on that....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
I know you won't be able to say much but could you give us any idea of timescale? ie before Christmas? mid 2014? thanks x

LittleMe88

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I believe the YLQ is being reviewed so it is in line with the ALQ as it has changed. They are supposed to overlap as completing parts of the YLQ can sign off parts of the ALQ also.

I don't KNOW but I suspect it will be before Christmas, knowing the timescale of the other Senior Section updates that are coming.

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Would those other Senior Section updates include a new CD? The current one is terribly out of date. I'm hoping anything new would be available to download (like the GFIs are now for Guides). It's a lot easier to keep things up-to-date.

sverran

Beginner (10+ posts)
yes but I'm finding that many have either not got email addresses or have parents email addresses from when they started at Guides etc, also school addresses from when they started and they are no longer there so I get lots of bounce backs, my next step is to contact all unit leaders for the information direct...

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
We have one young leader and one DofE girl but I have a feeling that what YLs who are keen enough to come on Guiders.co.uk are not going to be the average young leader.

Our two have managed to run one activity on their own (with quite a bit of prompting via email and in person) and a couple of others spontaneously (either "can you run a game", which I don't think should be their main purpose, or "can you just help/take over running this that I've started/set up as I need to pop into the kitchen/set something else up").

I'm hoping to gently introduce the clauses of the YLQ to them but it's not helped by them not always turning up!

I'm a bit unclear what I'm supposed to do as regards getting County/Division to come and sort them out though. I still can't get the YL on Go and I've given up on the DofE girl.

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
We have one young leader and one DofE girl but I have a feeling that what YLs who are keen enough to come on Guiders.co.uk are not going to be the average young leader.

Our two have managed to run one activity on their own (with quite a bit of prompting via email and in person) and a couple of others spontaneously (either "can you run a game", which I don't think should be their main purpose, or "can you just help/take over running this that I've started/set up as I need to pop into the kitchen/set something else up").

I'm hoping to gently introduce the clauses of the YLQ to them but it's not helped by them not always turning up!

I'm a bit unclear what I'm supposed to do as regards getting County/Division to come and sort them out though. I still can't get the YL on Go and I've given up on the DofE girl.
Why can't you get the YL on GO? You're DofE girl will need to go via Join Us and will need a CRB if she is over 16yrs x

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
It's a long story. She came to us through Join Us but the County and District Go coordinators deny that they can find out her membership number. She was also a Brownie so definitely has a number. I was told to ask the leader of her old unit to look under inactive girls, but I don't even know which unit it was (and neither does she, and one of the possible units has closed, and they are in 2 different districts). I just went back to County Go coordinator to plead with her.

I'm not bothering with the DofE girl because she is probably about to finish.

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
It's a long story. She came to us through Join Us but the County and District Go coordinators deny that they can find out her membership number. She was also a Brownie so definitely has a number. I was told to ask the leader of her old unit to look under inactive girls, but I don't even know which unit it was (and neither does she, and one of the possible units has closed, and they are in 2 different districts). I just went back to County Go coordinator to plead with her.

I'm not bothering with the DofE girl because she is probably about to finish.
Have you tried searching GO with her name and date of birth?

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I can't do that as a leader can I? I only have access to add girls to my unit, not leaders.
Well (I know you shouldn't do this but if you can't get help from elsewhere.............) try searching for her with name and date of birth. If she comes up add her to your Unit as a girl and make a note of her GO number. You can then delete her record from your Unit but at least you will know her GO number.

You can then ask your DC to add her to your Unit Team :)

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I suppose you can, actually, add a 14yo as a Brownie (or even Guide which we have the option for on our unit)...

ETA no, although it actually also lets me try and add a TSS member, it doesn't find her even just under her surname in case I've spelled her first name wrongly.

I know she's been through Join Us recently which makes that a bit odd. If she was only ever a Brownie I'd understand why as maybe the previous leader never put her on the paper Census form or spelled her name completely wrong.

Last edited:

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
I suppose you can, actually, add a 14yo as a Brownie (or even Guide which we have the option for on our unit)...
Only to enable you to get the GO number - you can then delete the record. If you leave the record as "active" it will ruin reports etc that your District should use for forward planning etc...........

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I did that on GO to get the membership number of my guide helper (was 14 and doing D of E through schools with us, but remaining a guide to finish of her baden powell)

but I got sort of told off (nothing serious) when GO co-ordinator saw the "rainbow" active/inactive entry and was told this wasn't what I should have done :(

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Yep I realise that but can't find her under any spelling of her first name, except that if I just put in one spelling and date of birth it says "more than one individual found". I don't think another spelling of her last name is possible, and in any case I'm going off the original Join Us email from the County coordinator (as she signed up as a volunteer not a girl).

culcheth1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yep I realise that but can't find her under any spelling of her first name, except that if I just put in one spelling and date of birth it says "more than one individual found". I don't think another spelling of her last name is possible, and in any case I'm going off the original Join Us email from the County coordinator (as she signed up as a volunteer not a girl).
Well in that case your County GO person will have to find her for you................ :(