• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Young leaders

LittleblueElf

Regular (50+ posts)
Just a quick question - we're planning a trip to London and not sure if I should ask my 2 young leaders (14 year old guides) to pay the same as the Brownies?
Does anyone else charge their young leaders?
The money is mostly for the train into London and a boat ride.
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
As Fenris says, if the leaders are paying some or all, then yes they should be aware and expected to contribute. If your adults are not, then no. It depends which side of the fence you sit on with regards to paying for leaders on trips really.

Just remember that they are there as Young LEADERS, not Old Brownies. They're a very useful asset in London as that's an extra 4 Brownies with a hand to hold :)

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Can you afford to subsidise them, and what kind of role will they have if they come? If you don't need their help and you can't afford to subsidise them, then it's reasonable to ask them to contribute if they'd still like to come, but I would only charge them full price if they were attending as participants rather than leaders - i.e. able to take part in the full range of (age appropriate) activities without any extra responsibilities. e.g. our young leaders didn't pay when they helped to run activities on a guide holiday but they paid full price for their Big Gig tickets.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Just a quick question - we're planning a trip to London and not sure if I should ask my 2 young leaders (14 year old guides) to pay the same as the Brownies?
Are they Brownie Helpers/Pack Leaders or are they members of TSS and Young Leaders working on their YLQ? It depends on what they would be expected to do while they're there really.

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
As above have said, really its down to how much you are expecting them to do, and what the unit can afford.
If they are young leaders who are likely to be very hands on and involved as much as the other leaders, then if the unit can afford it they should ideally pay the same amount as the leaders. If however, they aren't likely to be having such an active role or if the unit simply can't afford it, then you could ask them to pay a proportion.

I know many units would never ask leaders to pay towards trips, but sometimes it has to be done, as its fair perhaps not viable for the unit. Big Gig is a good example - we often have more leaders that would want to help out than we would need ratio wise. Its too expensive a trip to expect the unit to be able to cover it, and I don't think its fair to charge the girls massively more to cover adult costs, so we might ask adults to pay a proportion (e.g. pay for ticket, but not coach).

I think its all about the situation - I.e. the cost of the event at the time and the financial situation of the unit.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

LittleblueElf

Regular (50+ posts)
Thanks for your advice ladies, I think I will ask them to pay half as they are new young leaders so not expecting them to be as hands on as the adult leaders and our unit doesn't have much money (especially after census! )
X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
we try and factor in some of the adult and young leader cost of train tickets etc to the amount we charge the rainbows/brownies so that the cost for the adults isn't solely coming out of unit funds

guiderlinda

Veteran (100+ posts)
we try and factor in some of the adult and young leader cost of train tickets etc to the amount we charge the rainbows/brownies so that the cost for the adults isn't solely coming out of unit funds
For most of my activities I would aim for it to be self-financing, i.e. the costs and the income would probably match for each event, unless there was a reason that the unit funds would subsidise the event (e.g. training or because we had a special bonus).

Don't be ashamed to charge whatever is needed to fund the event - you'll still be much cheaper than the schools for anything that involves staying away.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
When our Brownie helpers come on trips like that, we tend to ask them to pay half of the cost as they are still helping, but they are extras in terms of ratios as they can't count as adults.

As an aside, 14 year old guides aren't young leaders, they are still Brownie helpers. When they leave guides they can be a young leader.

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
As an aside, 14 year old guides aren't young leaders, they are still Brownie helpers. When they leave guides they can be a young leader.
Yup - good point. Won't class as a leadership role until part of Senior section, and even then under 18s need to be included in ratios for this sort of thing.