Thread: Camp/Holiday Licence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Camp/Holiday Licence

Just be reading the pack holiday thread in the Brownie section...and I've got a few similar type of questions.

I would like to do one or other licence (would probably end up doing both at some point though!) But I have been told you need to go one a training weekend. I work saturdays at the moment, hopefully this will change soon, but not sure when! I don't really have enough leave to go on a training weekend, as well as running a camp, and anything else I want/need it for!! I have contacted the person who deals with the licences etc, and she is adament there it no way round it at all. I just wondered if anyone did know of any cases where people have been able to cover the training but without having to do it in a weekend away? It is beginning to wind me up that I would willingly do the training during the week and then work for my licence. But because they refuse to do any other ways of covering the training than weekends I am really going to struggle!

Another query...to be the first aider for events/holidays/camps etc, do you have to have done the "first response" course. Or is another equivelent (and above!) first aid course acceptable? For one holiday we hadn't got a first aider, I have offered to do it, but I was told I couldn't . Apparently you need to have done the guiding first response course, even though I have way above that level of first aid. I have done a First Aid at Work course, which is 4 days of training rather than 1. I am also trained to use oxygen and defibrillators. I know that level of training isn't needed for Guides, and thats not what I had done it for. But been as I am if anything 'over qualified' I couldn't understand what the problem was with me being first aider. Can anyone enlighten me?!

laura is offline GIC, Asst Guider Guides and Rangers Assistant Guider (150+) Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've even got my manual out for this one as you got me thinking!! The manual states:
    The first Aider is responsible for health matters and should
    Hold the Girlguiding health and First Aid Certificate OR Have a comparable qualification or experience eg 1st response.

From this I understand that First response is an absolute minimum that you need to be a first aider - If you have a higher qualification (as long as it covers child resus) then there is no reason why you cannot be a first Aider on a residential event

hope this helps

Blog Entries
    Liked 350 Times in 118 Posts

If you are a warranted guider than you would already have 1st Response (or an equivalant that was accepted) so I have no idea why they would say you cant now.

Is it your County that does the trainings? My county runs 2 weekday evening sessions and a day one (on a weekend), so everywhere works differently. Do you have a county training co-ordinator (not the license person) that you could speak to about whether they have had similar querys and if an alternative trainings could be arranged? Or maybe ask the license person to do 1 on 1 training & go through forms, requirements etc?

As a last desperate measure might it be possible to attend a training held by another county if yours seriously refuses to budge?
    Voted 'Best Fantasy Educator' at G2G10!

jayjay is offline Guide and Ranger Guider World Chief Guide (1000+) Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Liked 57 Times in 22 Posts

When you say 'a weekend training' do you mean like a saturday day session, or a residential trip? If you mean a residential trip, then that's a local rule - I've done several residentail licences over the last couple of years and never had to do a residential training. However, there is a clause in the book that says 'attend appropriate training' or something similar, but there's no official rule that says it has to be residential.
    However, my camp advisor got really stroppy with me when I couldn't attend her all-day saturday camp training (like you, I couldn't get the time off work!) and I had to go over her head to get passed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The training is run over a weekend - a two day course. Apparently I have to go for both the saturday and sunday. I at first thought it was an either/or when they gave me the two dates for training, but then got told it wasn't

Seems like I may need to go and query this with some higher and see if they are/if they can arrange an alternative time for training. It annoys me that they seem to think I should have to give up another days leave, when I don't have much anyway, to go on a training course for something which doesn't *need* to be run over weekends. I'm sure there must be other people in my area who work weekends/saturdays as well!!

Looks like I also need to push the first aid issue as well. I am warrented, and was allowed that as they decided (after a long discussion!!) that my qualifications were equivalent (!) But my guider seemed to think that to be classed as a first aid for a residential event you needed to have first response - seems to be like she may be a tad confused!

Thanks for your help though on this one, just wanted to make sure it wasn't me who was wrong before I went moaning at people!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i havent ever been on a license training weekend or day and have my camp license so dont think it is essential if you already have sufficient experience.

about the first response so long as your 4 day training is still valid (within 3 years i believe) then you should be covered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guide Camp Licence

When I did my Guide Camp Licence - I argued that having been on quiet alot of camps (both with current district & in a previous area) that attending a training was not worth it! And because I work full-time & a single mum it's not possible for me to attend a training weekend - it was agreed after a discussion with my mentor that this could be covered by previos camps!

I'd first aided on 3 camps as well (without anythingmore than my first aid at work certificate - the 4 day one) but also as I initially trained as a first aider in the Royal Navy. I've still not done Health & First Aid thingy for camp!

Also when I took my Brownie camp this year - my first aider only held First Aid at Work - despite beng a trained nurse! Nothing was said when someone came to check my camp - and they were very through!

As a 4 day First Aid at work is above a First Response I can't see what the problem is! I've not got my Manual handy - but I could find the quotes if you want!

Good Luck

How about we hold a training evening - or - start a "What do I need to know for Camp" thread - I'm sure we'd have more knowledge than you'd get at a training weekend!