Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scout post?

Blog Entries
    Liked 2,343 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Default Scout post?

Monolingualism can be cured

White Rose Camp 1998, Belarus 2001, Intr@net 2003, Essex Jamboree 2004, World Scout Jamboree 2007, Flamboree 2009, Ultimate Tall Ships 2010, Centenary Camp 2010, Ultimate Morocco 2010, Charnwood 2011

Blog Entries
    Liked 130 Times in 87 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    5.26 MB

that's well cool!

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
    Total Downloaded

isn't it where scouts deliver in their local area christmas cards at christmas time ....they used to do it in the two next to me but stopped a few years back...must not have been cost effective enough

Liked 134 Times in 84 Posts
    Total Downloaded

they used to do this where i was a guide. our leader was involved with delivering. it was christmas cards that were delivered but i dont recall much else.

Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
    Total Downloaded

id love to organise a southampton one for joint scouts and guides but you'd need other units on board and it would take a while, sorting to postcode then to street etc. I think it is more about people having time, the scouts work for free and so it would be hall hire, stamps and time
    "they say; a pessimist sees a glass of water as half empty, an optimist sees the same glass as half full but a giving person looks for someone who's thirsty."

Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    21.69 MB

Wirral Scouts and Guides operate a Charity Christmas post!

It began with one Scout district and the Guides in that district in 1981 and it gradually expanded to include all the Scout districts on the Wirral and some Guiding Units.

This year the stamps will cost 20p to post a Christmas card within Wirral boundaries. The units that participate 'earn' money for the stamps they sell and the weight of cards they deliver. Money is also donated to local nominated charities. The presentation takes place in February.
    So far a total of over 100,000 has been donated to local charities.
    (See website for more info. Wirral Scout Christmas Post - Home Page)

The main coordinating committee work fantastically hard!
    There is a lot of time involved in selling stamps, sorting post and two deliveries to make in the weekends prior to Christmas, but it is shared out across the units and parents help.
    (we sometimes say that it would be handy if the Christmas post was in July when it isn't so busy and the weather may be better!)
    I am proud to have been involved since it began. (when post was sorted on people's dining tables!)

Yorkielass is offline Brownie Guider and soon to be Guide GIC Veteran (100+ posts) Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Blog Entries
    Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I've just read it - sounds great!

I've seen signs in a part of York about Scouts collecting some recycling, presumably they sell it on to raise funds.

All very enterprising.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

We do it in Cardiff and the Vale too. I'm co ordinator for my area which thankfully is quite small! I've got 20000 stamps to sell through our units and then we have to sort and deliver. We only make money on the stamps we sell and not what we deliver.
    Oh I just read it and it mentions us too!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by morris minor View Post
    Wirral Scouts and Guides operate a Charity Christmas post!

It began with one Scout district and the Guides in that district in 1981 and it gradually expanded to include all the Scout districts on the Wirral and some Guiding Units.

This year the stamps will cost 20p to post a Christmas card within Wirral boundaries. The units that participate 'earn' money for the stamps they sell and the weight of cards they deliver. Money is also donated to local nominated charities. The presentation takes place in February.
    So far a total of over 100,000 has been donated to local charities.
    (See website for more info. Wirral Scout Christmas Post - Home Page)

The main coordinating committee work fantastically hard!
    There is a lot of time involved in selling stamps, sorting post and two deliveries to make in the weekends prior to Christmas, but it is shared out across the units and parents help.
    (we sometimes say that it would be handy if the Christmas post was in July when it isn't so busy and the weather may be better!)
    I am proud to have been involved since it began. (when post was sorted on people's dining tables!)
    Our stamps are 18p. Same amount of work for less money - mmmmmmm.

Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    21.69 MB

Our stamps have been 18p for the last few years. The committee must have decided that multiples of 20 were easier to add up than 18's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast