Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sew what?

Liked 103 Times in 56 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    2.02 MB

Angry Sew what?

As a few of you will have found out, one of my pet hates is seeing Brownies/Guides wearing sew-on badges all over the hoodie/t-shirt/polo shirt.
    After having read the Girlguiding website it says for Brownies -
    "How Brownies display their interest badges is up to each girl. Many Brownies sew them on their gilet top. Others choose to wear them on a sash, or keep them safe in their Brownie Promise Box or a scrapbook."
    And for Guides -
    "A Guide wears her Promise badge on her uniform top. She may wear her Patrol emblem, a Patrol Leader/Second badge, a Pack Leader badge, or Rainbow Helper badge on her uniform top.
    A Guide may choose to display her interest badges:
    * on her gilet, sewing them where she wishes
    * on her camp blanket
    * in her G file
    * as a collection in another form.
    A Guide may wear or display County, Country/Region or Association challenge badges for the specified time."

Which says to me...when in uniform a Brownie displays her badges on a sash or gilet and a Guide certain badges on her top and rest on a gilet.

The front cover of Guiding magazine a few months back had a Brownie with badges on her hoodie, I sent GGUK an email asking why they had shown a Brownie incorrectly dressed on the front cover.
    I received a reply which basically stated that a Brownie could put her badges where she liked (hmm...around the bottom of the trouser legs perhaps). So I replied to that...'Why does your website state that a Brownie wears her badges on a sash or gilet?' To which they replied "We do not want to exclude girls on the grounds of religion or wealth".

So what it comes down to is just do whatever you want - but not in my District!
    Last edited by jolito; 19th November 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Total Downloaded

I totally understand where you are coming from, my Guides have an assortment of badges in different places.

I wish I had know about the gillet rule but none of my guides have a gilet as they all went for the hoodie and I cant ask them to buy gillets now as it would cost so much money.

I am going to start saying where the badges need to go on their hoodie though.

Right sleeve for interest badges

left sleeve for name stripe, division badge

and front for promise badhe, patrol emblem and patrol stripes if they have them.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    17.3 KB

as long as there is a resemblance of order as mrs chu suggests
    then i cant personally see whats wrong with sewing them on any piece of uniform
    surely if a girl earns a badge she should be proud to show it off anyway she likes
    xx
    Natasha xx

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Did GGUK not just say it's not a rule that they have to be on Gilets? Although it doesn't seem as though they answered the question about why it says that on their website.

Liked 57 Times in 22 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I'm sorry but I would rather my girls wore their badges with pride and showed them off than put them 'somewhere safe' where they will gather dust and be forgotton about. None of my girls have the gilet so they can't go on their (its an optional piece of uniform after all) and so they sew their badges on their rugby shirts. Some of them have loads of badges on their - one girl came up to me on Saturday having sewn a new badge on her top especially that morning as were were bag packing, and she was pround to have started 'her third row' - three rows of badges all round the bottom of her rugby shirt.

They can't make wearing badges on gilets only a blue rule as gilets are optional.

Total Downloaded
    2.02 MB

Seems that way beertrumpetgirl!
    Still if you ask the same question on a different day day you may get a different answer, who's right the 'official' website or the lackey that answers the mails?

(apologies if any CHQ lackeys are on here)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Total Downloaded

Oh no....not again...

Every 6 months or so we have this.

NONE of my Guides have gilets. They're just not interested. They all have pretty much the same uniform, as they LIKE looking the same. I actually had a new Guide begging me to get her her uniform (and as I'm flying out to Oz on Sunday, I'm gonna rush to get it.).
    But, yes they all have their badges on their polos. Mostly around the bottom - the same as the Rainbows.

And.....
    I've just spent the last 10 minutes searching the Manual website.... and I can't find anything that says that anymore. Next you'll be saying I can't have 12 badges on my tab! (And no, that's not in there anymore...)

Total Downloaded
    2.02 MB

*starts foaming at the mouth*

I think my biggest gripe is that it has become unclear what is the 'right' thing to do (we all like being 'right', right?) - either it's official and you CAN sew badges on anywhere or it's not.
    Now I go back 30 years as a Guider (old Guider syndrome) and 'in those days' there were set rules for almost everything and while I like the fact that a lot of the 'military claptrap' has been abolished, we still need some set rules!

Blog Entries
    Liked 3,425 Times in 1,725 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    2.43 MB

None of my Brownies has a gilet - it's never been a popular option - and the fabric looks a nightmare to sew. Many of them have sashes and find it convenient to slip them on at the start and end of meetings - and much more affordable than a gilet too. Why don't we just ditch the gilets?!

Total Downloaded
    2.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore118 View Post
    Oh no....not again...

Every 6 months or so we have this.

NONE of my Guides have gilets. They're just not interested. They all have pretty much the same uniform, as they LIKE looking the same. I actually had a new Guide begging me to get her her uniform (and as I'm flying out to Oz on Sunday, I'm gonna rush to get it.).
    But, yes they all have their badges on their polos. Mostly around the bottom - the same as the Rainbows.

And.....
    I've just spent the last 10 minutes searching the Manual website.... and I can't find anything that says that anymore. Next you'll be saying I can't have 12 badges on my tab! (And no, that's not in there anymore...)
    Yes again (and again, until we get a clear set of rules rather than the 'if it doesn't say IT on the website anything goes')!

Read about it here eeyore118 -

Girlguiding UK - Who we are - Guide wear and badges

Girlguiding UK - Who we are - Brownie wear and badges

I had 6 badges on my tab, when the rule was only 4+Promise, I now have 7 on the front and 3 on the back!
    Last edited by jolito; 19th November 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast