Thread: Maori Stick Game or Tinikling

Blog Entries
    Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    122.06 MB

Default Maori Stick Game or Tinikling

Have any of you taught the Maori Stick Game or Tinikling to your older girls (probably Guide age and up)? Here is a link to Tinikling (a dance with bamboo poles) from the Phillipines:

YouTube - LIKHA - Tinikling

The Maori Stick Game is played with sticks tossed between 2 girls/Guiders and is from New Zealand.

These may be fun to play for Thinking Day. I don't mind sending the instructions and song.

Blog Entries
    Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    122.06 MB

Default Maori Stick Game, Lemmi Sticks, Tinikling

I've attached some files, if you are considering trying this. For tinikling, you require two 8' bamboo poles and a 2 pieces of wood (2 x 4?) about 28" long. The poles are hit together and down on the wood (at each) end to the beat. Our past Provincial Commissioner taught this to her Grade 4 class so it may be easier for the girls than the Guiders (LOL). The only problem is transporting the poles!

The Maori Sticks are created out of dowling or broom handles or anything that is about 1 inch diameter and approx. 10 to 12 inches long. Same sticks can be used with the younger girls for Lemmi Sticks (Sparks, Brownies).

Lemmi/Lummi Sticks:
    YouTube - Girl Scouts sticks
    NZ Folk Song * E Papa (stick game)

Just received the 2 links from the Commish. Here they are:
    Tinikling:* Sharing the Dance
    Tinikling:* The Next Generation

I guess I can't upload the mp3 file but you can find it in one of the stmargcs links for the tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,673 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    2.43 MB

I have seen it done with Guides, although we used rolled up newspaper for safety, and it's just as well as the Guides are usually pretty hopeless, even at the simpler verses. They just don't have enough practice at throwing and catching to be able to do it accurately at close range. But I believe that if it's practiced enough weeks (e.g. in the run up to a concert), then it's possible to pick out a samll group from a unit who will give a reasonable showing!

Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
    Total Downloaded

We play it at Rangers and we're mostly hopeless at it (though we do get the hang of it after a whole meeting).
    I vaguely remember trying it with the Guides once a while ago. It was a smaller group because of a school disco or something and I seem to remember it going OK. I think most of them weren't very good but we helped a few of them and they managed it OK.

Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
    Total Downloaded

omg i learn this as a guide, remember doing it with newspaper then progressing to sticks and showing it to the parents. i also remember the bruses on my hands from a misplaced stick, but i think that was my friend getting her own back for me having better co ordination then she
    friends are like bras close to the heart and always there to support

Blog Entries
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I remember doing this with newspapers as the sticks at a guiders training

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I remember doing this when I was in Guides in the late 80's. We decorated our sticks but they got left at GUides so who knows where they are now! My friends who was in guides with me was talking about this only the other week! Mad! I'd love to do this with our Guides so may have to go and find the moves too as got the music! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    Catalan74

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words

Brownie & Guide Assistant Leader