Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Semi-Automatic car on an Automatic licence?

Blog Entries
    Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Default HELP! Semi-Automatic car on an Automatic licence?

Hoping someone can help me as I am totally confused now! lol

I have my driving test booked for beginning of March very nervous now!

and have just siold my Scooter to help fund the purchase of a car - if I can find a suitable one!

I am taking an Automatic licence (as am not allowed to drive a manual )

So my question is if I get a full UK AUtO Licence can I drve a Semi-Automatic car?

What are the differences?
    (did I mention I am blonde! lol)

Please help!
    Just NICI 'Annabel'

QUILT SQUARES - The Project has gone on hold at the moment due to ill health and moving house. Badges (or refunds - where nessecary) will be sorted out after Easter. I am sorry for any problems this may cause and the delays.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    1.62 MB

Yes you can

Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

So if I got a Semi-Auto Smart Car I would be OK?

(that's if the finace bit goes through! - still waiting to hear back from the company )

What is the differnce between a Semi-Auto and an Auto?

Also on the driving test booking it asked if you were taking test in Auto, Semi-Auto or Maunal?
    So I thought that meant there were 3 different types of licences? is that not the case? is there just AUTO (including Semi) and Maunal?
    Just NICI 'Annabel'

QUILT SQUARES - The Project has gone on hold at the moment due to ill health and moving house. Badges (or refunds - where nessecary) will be sorted out after Easter. I am sorry for any problems this may cause and the delays.

Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
    Total Downloaded

a semi auto is a car without a clutch it can be put on full auto (overideable) or you can change gears as you would with a manual (without the clutch) most modern autos are semi automatics as the ability to overide the automatic selection can be useful (eg joining motorway) .

i did my test in a semi auto for an auto license and it was fine.
    "they say; a pessimist sees a glass of water as half empty, an optimist sees the same glass as half full but a giving person looks for someone who's thirsty."

Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

I will be doing my test in my intructors car (Full Auto)

but the car I am trying to buy - finance depdnding - would be a Semi-Auto

So I can just put the car in full Auto and nenver have to drive with gears?!
    Just NICI 'Annabel'

Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
    Total Downloaded

yes it is perfectly legal to do that, I think the legal classification is not having a clutch.
    "they say; a pessimist sees a glass of water as half empty, an optimist sees the same glass as half full but a giving person looks for someone who's thirsty."

Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    yes it is perfectly legal to do that, I think the legal classification is not having a clutch.
    Oh good! very happy now!

Just got to hope that the finance goes through for the car! fingers crossed
    Just NICI 'Annabel'

Blog Entries
    Liked 395 Times in 184 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    1.11 MB

Yes, it's definitely the clutch thats key. Your license will be for a clutchless car. My brother double checked this with the DVLA when he bought his semi-auto (we both only have auto licenses)
    Rainbow Guider... RangerGuider in Training---Newport, South Wales 3D Paper cutouts---'wordle' text-image designs
    BP Trefoil 2000 / ALQ 2007 / DofE Gold 2010 / Chief Guide's Challenge 2010 / Commonwealth Award 2011 / 10yr service 2012 (still waiting for the badge)
    Nailer 2001 / Magic 2002 / Draig Y Coed 2003 / Free Life Austria 2003 / Nailer 2006 / Centenary Camp 2010 / Charnwood 2011 / IntOps 2012 / GOLD Sri Lanka 2013

Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

great ;D

still doesn't explain why they give 3 options when booking a test? why not just give 2?
    Last edited by Pompey_Ranger; 9th February 2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Just NICI 'Annabel'

emmaluvseeyore is offline Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant Veteran (100+ posts) Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Liked 834 Times in 422 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    631.1 KB

maybe its to stop people getting confused as to whether semi-auto is classed as an auto or a manual, so they just have it as an option!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast