Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brownie Traditions Badge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Question Brownie Traditions Badge

Hi everyone,

We've just started doing the brownie traditions badge and I'm struggling to find some of the information we need to do it.

Does anyone know anything about brownie magic carpets? We've got to draw a picture of one for the badge. I've trawled the web, but can't find anything on them.....

We also want to do the brownie health excersises and fitness rules with the girls. Does anyone know these, or know where I can find them?

Thanks

wysiwyg xxxxx

Dietcoke is offline Brownie Guider and Forum Moderater Veteran (100+ posts) Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Hi there! Brownie carpets are not real... as far as I know they are imaginary and girls would get on them at start of brownies and go there... kind of like our adventures today- so they can look however they think!!

I will have a dig for the rules I have them somewhere
    unless someone else posts them first!
    Disability rights to bodly go where everyone else had gone before.....

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    3.85 MB

I think there is quite a lot of help for this badge in a file... the adventure file or something? One with lots of extra badge help and photocopy-able sheets

Allie_Birmingham is offline Weeder... my garden is a right mess! Veteran (100+ posts) Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

This pack still had a carpet a few years ago... perhaps you could email them?

http://uk.geocities.com/brownies_4wgc/Year2003.html
    Last edited by Allie_Birmingham; 3rd March 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: forgotted link!
    It has been known for me to be mistaken for a ray of sunshine...
    I think this means your sight is damaged if you look directly at me!

coolandme is offline Ex-Brownie GiC, Ranger, Tawny Owl Veteran (100+ posts) Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
    Total Downloaded

The Magic carpet was a large circle of dark green material, laid in the centre of the brownie ring/pow-wow with the toadstool in the middle. At the beginning of the Brownie meeting, Brownies would sit in their sixes around the edge and wish themselves to a lovely place. At the end of the meeting Brownies would wish themselves home again. It was a place to discuss pack plans and adventures. A place for Promise Ceremonies. It was decorated with badges and patches that showed the things that the pack enjoyed doing.

Fitness rules
    "only feed on wholesome fare,
    through your nostrils, breathe fresh air,
    clean yourself inside and out,
    twist and bend and run about"

From an upright position, bend to the front with arms stretched downwards, with the back of the hands together in front of the knees. Breathe out and straighten up. Raise the hands gradually over the head, breathing deeply through the nose as you do so. Lastly bend forward again, breathing out the last bit of breath in you, and the saying the number of times you have done it (keep count). Repeat 12 times.

I think I found this in the Adventure or Advenutre 2 file some time ago. I'm using it for a Brownie Traditions Sleepover in a few weeks.

MysterySock is offline Brownie Guider, Senior Section member Beginner (10+ posts) Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I don't remember that being part of Brownie Traditions. I did it with our girls a few years ago. I would have thought they were imaginary, but as the person above me just explained them, evidently that's not the case. oh well. lol.
    Unapologetic nerd!

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    3.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MysterySock View Post
    I don't remember that being part of Brownie Traditions. I did it with our girls a few years ago. I would have thought they were imaginary, but as the person above me just explained them, evidently that's not the case. oh well. lol.
    you choose 3 things out of a selection for parts of the badge so thats probably why you didn't cover those things...

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
    Total Downloaded

do you have the old brownie handbook with Emily in i'm sure it was in the back of that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I have a whole resource about Brownie Traditions would be happy to copy and send it to you if you want - there are all sorts of interesting things in it - not even sure where I picked it up from but we found it very useful when doing our badge. If you do want me to send it to you please PM me as I might not be back on the site for a few days but will check my emails. Cheers
    Last edited by Madowl; 6th March 2008 at 11:40 PM.
    If you would like to buy Cumbria South's centenary or launch badges, pm me or look on www.girlguidingcumbriasouth.org.uk for my email (County Comm)

Live, love and laugh - it will get you through each day!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Hi Guys,

Thankyou all so so so much for all your advice on this one! I was starting to panic I wouldn't have anything to take on Monday night!

Unfortunatly as I've only just started out helping with the local brownie group I haven't got the adventure files yet, partly as I've not decided whether to do my warrent or not. I know this is being a bit cheeky, but would anyone mind emailing me a copy of the bits with the info in if they've got them (only if it doesn't break copyright or anything)? I used to have the emily brownie handbook when I was in brownies - i don't remember anything about magic carpets in it, but my memory's absolulty dreadful so it doesn't mean anything! Unfortuanatly I threw my old copy out years ago as it was falling to bits (which i definatly regret now!!!) I've got a copy of the 1963 handbook off ebay, but theres no real mention of carpets etc in there - one of the other leaders thought there was, but i can't find anything!

Thanks again so much for all your help

wysiwyg xxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast