Thread: Promise Activities/Games

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Promise Activities/Games

Hi,
    I'm planning an evening for the first week back after Easter about the Promise. I plan on giving all of the Rainbows who haven't made their promise yet a printed version of it on nice glossy paper that they can stick up on their wall to help them to remember it.

At the beginning of the evening, I will have all of the words of the promise cut out, and ask the Rainbows to rearrange them into the correct order.
    I'd then like to do some games or activities to help them understand each aspect of the promise. Particularly stuck on 'to love my God', as we are stuck inside a small church hall, and it's too cold and dark to go outside.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Liked 101 Times in 42 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Here are some ideas, mainly from the "Jigsaw pieces" resource which I have found very useful for this sort of thing!

Promise – Act out situations where a character does or does not keep their promise
    Promise – Discuss rules needed on a desert island
    Do my best – Learn sign language, read braille, taste test, smell test
    Love my God – Cut corners off square labelled “God’s love” to show there is enough for everyone
    Love my God – sing “God’s love is the best love”
    Love my God – Look for green on a walk
    Love my God – Visit a place of worship
    Love my God – draw self-portrait from a mirror (everyone is special)
    Love my God – find out things in common and different with other Rainbows
    Love my God – Draw something thankful for on a hand, make hands into a “thank you tree”
    Kind – Make a unit friendship ring from overlapping handprints
    Kind – Make bird cakes
    Kind – Make a harvest box or Christmas “hamper” for others
    Kind – Make something and give it to another Rainbow
    Kind – Call out a situation (e.g. pushing someone). Kind = group hug, unkind = stand alone
    Helpful – Guide a blind Rainbow around an obstacle course (helpful, trust, sensible)
    Helpful – Mime being helpful in different situations for others to guess (e.g. in kitchen)
    Helpful – Draw table mat with cutlery so can lay the table at home
    Helpful – Electricity/water-saving activities, recycling

If you go further back in the rainbow section of this site, there have a been a couple of other 'promise activity' threads.

Blog Entries
    Liked 129 Times in 86 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    4.42 MB

I made these sheets and got the Rainbows to draw a way they keep each part of their promise in the boxes.

I promise that
    I will do my best
    [big box]
    to love my god
    [big box]
    and to be kind and helpful
    [big box]

something along those lines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Downloaded

as for games you could do thoughful tilly naughty nick out of jigsaw book

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Thanks,
    This Jigsaw Pieces looks pretty useful, will probably order myself a copy next week.

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'll definitely use a few!

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Total Downloaded
    1.12 MB

I have copied the Rainbow Promise ideas from https://secure.girlguiding.org.uk/xq...rs/article.asp on the secure bit of the website as I wasn't sure if you were interested/knew about them/had access

Rainbow Promise activities
    Who does God love?

Use a small box with a small mirror inside. Fix a gift tag with the question ‘Who does God love?’ to it. Pass the box around the circle for each Rainbow to peep into and see the answer.
    Being Kind and Helpful

Talk about being kind and helpful. Tell the Rainbows that in the traditional Brownie story, the Brownies helped in secret a bit like the elves in The Elves and the Shoemaker. Encourage each Rainbow to identify someone they could help secretly. Draw a picture and make a note in words or pictures about what they will do. For example:

* Empty the rubbish bin at home when no one is looking.
    * Make sure that the guinea pig has fresh water without being asked.

Share ideas the following week and ask the Rainbow how it felt to help this way
    I Promise

Play in the same way as What’s the Time Mr Wolf?

The Leader stands with her back to the Rainbows and the Rainbows creep up behind her. As the leader turns around the Rainbows freeze.

If the Leader says 'I promise to keep my room tidy' or a similar Promise that could be kept, the girls continue to creep.

But, if the leader says, ‘I promise to…eat you' (or similar) the girls run back to the start line whilst the leader tries to tag them.

Talk afterwards about Promises that you can keep and those, like eating a Rainbow, which can not be kept!