Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elastics/French skipping/Chinese skipping/Chinese jump rope

Liked 246 Times in 189 Posts

Default Elastics/French skipping/Chinese skipping/Chinese jump rope

Does anyone know where to get the rhymes and instructions for playing elastics. I used to do it at school and I'm thinking of doing it with my Brownies for Valentine's Day.

For a change, the Guider I'm working with and I thought it would be nice to look at doing something on a healthy heart. We've thought of playing games and looking at the benefits of having a healthy heart as it links into Valentine's Day (if you approach it from a different angle.

I can get hold of the elastic relatively inexpensively from a shop where I live. Now I just need to find some games for it.

Liked 290 Times in 210 Posts

Can I ask, what is elastics?

It's something that I used to play at school. Basically you have a length of elastic (like what's used for knickers), which has it's ends tied together so it forms a loop. You then have two people who are called 'enders' (I think) and they step inside the elastic and stand opposite each other. This then means the elastic is in the shape of a rectangle, and starts off at the two people's ankles. Then the jumper(s) have to jump from side to side, inside and outside of the elastic rectangle. From time to time they may jump on the elastic as well so that it touches the floor.

There is also more advanced jumps as well. Also with some of the songs, every time you did it successfully the elastic gradually moved up the legs of the two people at the end.

I know there's various songs/rhymes to go with the various jumps but can't remember any of them as it's been about 20 years since I played it.

Liked 102 Times in 63 Posts

i remember playing this but any of the rhymes escape me. you coul just use skipping rhymes.

i know on some of them you had to try and land on the elastic rather than either side of it. was quite good fun bet the girls wont have done it before.

Liked 125 Times in 68 Posts

I remember this simple one:

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales (jump from side to side, with one leg either side of elastic)
    Inside, Outside, Donkey's Tails (same as above, but on the word 'tails' jumper stands on the elastic)

Will keep trying to wrack my brains for more!

My mum made me an "elastic" when I was younger... made from different coloured elastic bands tied together... it was awesome!
    I'm a Girl Guide, Get Me Out of Here Challenge! Check out the resource at http://www.guiders.co.uk/showthread....621#post881621

I could remember the first one as well, but trying to remember/find other ones as well.

Liked 102 Times in 63 Posts

just found this one.

Two children stand inside the loop so they are stretching it relatively taut around their ankles. A third person performs a series of hops and jumps, chanting appropriate rhymes. When finished, the height of the elastic is raised to knees, then thighs, then waist.
    Start with left foot inside the elastic loop and right foot just outside. Jump over to to the other side so right foot is inside the loop and left foot is outside.
    Here is one of the rhymes we say:
    'Chocolate cake, when you bake,
    How many minutes will you take?
    One, two, three, four.'

On ONE: jump up and land with left foot outside the elastic loop and your right foot inside.
    On TWO: jump up and land with both feet together inside the elastic loop.
    On THREE: jump up and land with both feet outside the elastic loop.
    On Four: jump up and land sideways to the elastic, with your left foot on top of the back elastic and your right foot ahead (in front) of the front elastic.

If the current player fails to execute the correct jump their turn is over and play passes to one of the people inside the circle of elastic, who then tries to out do the previous player.
    Here are more of the rhymes we use:
    'England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales
    Inside, outside, inside, on!'
    'Old Mrs Mason broke her basin
    On the way to London Station.
    How much did it cost?
    One, two, three, four.'

'Charlie Chaplin sat on a pin
    How many inches did it go in?
    One, two, three, four.'

Blog Entries
    Liked 2,980 Times in 1,549 Posts

I'd suggest you bar 'twister' and 'bow and arrow' - these involve twisting the elastics round the legs of the jumper, she then jumps up while the elastic unravels - in theory, usually it just resulted in broken elastic!

We bought small packets of elastic bands and threaded them through each other, before knotting the two ends. Coloured ones were more popular than brown. Any breaks were tied together - until there were so many the length was too short to use!

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

There are a couple of rhymes on this website: http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...roundgames.htm

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

I really should be working, but this is much more fun! I found this site too, scroll down the page a bit and there are loads of comments with rhymes & history of elastics http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=46932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast