Thread: Thinking Day poem/ceremony

Liked 316 Times in 193 Posts

Default Thinking Day poem/ceremony

Does anyone have any suggestions for small ceremonies, prayers, poems etc that I can use for our thinking day meeting this week? We will have around 50 girls, possibly in a tight space so a lot of the suggestions for everyone having candles aren't possible. We are doing the world guiding badge in a round robin style but would also like to have a bit of a ceremony/ quiet time too.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Liked 2,959 Times in 1,536 Posts

Suggest you avoid prayers, as some of the girls/leaders would have to step out, and it would be a shame not to include everyone or have people feeling comfortable about not being able to participate.

Possible readings are:

Growing Good Corn
    by: Author Unknown, Source Unknown
    There was a farmer who grew award-winning corn. Each year he entered his corn in the state fair where it won a blue ribbon. One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something interesting about how he grew it.

The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbours. "How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbours when they are entering corn to compete with yours each year?" the reporter asked.

"Why sir," said the farmer, "didn't you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbours grow poor-quality corn, cross-pollination will spread the poor corn to my fields. If I am to grow good corn, I must ensure my neighbours grow good corn."

He is very much aware of the connectedness of life. His corn cannot be good unless his neighbour's corn is. So it is in other places. Those who choose to be at peace must help their neighbours be at peace. Those who choose to live well must help others to live well, for the value of a life is measured by the lives it touches. And those who choose to be happy must help others to find happiness, for the good of each of us is connected to the welfare of all.
    -----------------------------
    Changing the World
    by: Author Unknown, Aspiring to Greatness
    When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.

I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.

When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town.

I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.

Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family.

My family and I could have made an impact on our town.

Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.
    -------------------------------
    Need A Map?
    Sharon Fleischer
    It was my first day at school. I felt nervous and scared.

I went to all my classes with no friends. It felt like no one cared.

I listened anxiously to all the lessons and waited for lunch break at one. Then finally the bell rang. It was time to talk and have fun.

In the queue I met a new friend who wore a hijab on her head, and though I am Jewish, we got along fine, and I was so relieved when she said, "Sit with us, at our table." She pointed to the one next to the door.

So I agreed, and took my tray and was about to walk with her across the floor, when suddenly I felt a nudge. "Hey, I saw you on the bus," said a tall girl in a long skirt. "I see your Jewish star necklace. You should sit with us."

At that moment I looked around, and that's when I noticed, to my surprise, The nations of the world, isolating themselves. That's what I saw through my own eyes.

The Spanish only sat with Spanish, the Hindus only with Hindus, The Russians always with the Russians, and never the Arabs with the Jews.

I saw the reason why war gets started. Everyone sticks to their own kind. The lunchroom was a map of the world. Why was everyone so blind?

And so I turned down this girl, and went with the first, and there was no enmity. I built a bridge between two worlds when I sat with those different from me.
    ----------------------------
    The Colours Of Friendship
    Once upon a time the colours of the world started to argue. All claimed that they were the best, the most important, the most useful, the most beautiful, the favourite. Green said: "Clearly I am the most important. I am the sign of life and of hope. I was chosen for grass, trees and leaves. Without me, all animals would die. Look over the countryside and you will see that I am in the majority."

Blue interrupted: "You only think about the earth, but consider the sky and sea. It is the water that is the basis of life and drawn up by the clouds from the sea. The sky gives space and peace and serenity. Without my peace, you would all be nothing."

Yellow chuckled: "You are all so serious. I bring laughter, joy, and warmth to the world. The sun is yellow, the moon is yellow, the stars too. Every time you look at a sunflower, the whole world starts to smile. Without me there would be no fun."

Orange started next: "I am the colour of health and strength. I may be rare, but I am precious for I serve the needs of human life. I carry the important vitamins. Think of carrots, pumpkins, oranges and mangoes. When I fill the sky at sunrise or sunset, my beauty is so striking that no one gives another thought to any of you."

Red shouted out: "I am the ruler of all of you. I am blood - life's blood! I am the colour of danger and of bravery. I am willing to fight for a cause. I bring fire into the blood. Without me, the earth would be as empty as the moon. I am the colour of passion and of love, the red rose, the poinsettia and the poppy."

Purple rose to his full height: He was very tall and spoke with great pomp: "I am the colour of royalty and power. Kings and bishops have always chosen me for I am the sign of authority and wisdom. People do not question me! They listen and obey."

Finally Indigo spoke, much more quietly than all the others, but with just as much determination: "Think of me. I am the colour of silence. You hardly notice me, but without me you all become minor. I represent thought and reflection, twilight and deep water. You need me for balance and contrast, for prayer and inner peace."

And so the colours went on boasting, each convinced of his or her own superiority. Their quarrelling became louder and louder. Suddenly there was a startling flash of bright lightening, thunder rolled and boomed. Rain started to pour down relentlessly. The colours crouched down in fear, drawing close to one another for comfort. In the midst of the noise, rain spoke: "You foolish colours, arguing amongst yourselves, each trying to dominate. Don't you know that you were each made for a purpose, unique and different? Join hands with one another and come to me." Doing as they were told, the colours united and joined hands. The rain continued: "From now on, when it rains, each of you will stretch across the sky in a great bow of colour as a reminder to live together in peace. The Rainbow is a sign of hope for tomorrow." And so, whenever a good rain washes the world, and a Rainbow appears in the sky, to let us remember to appreciate one another.
    -------------------------
    Rainbow, by L A Smith

We see rainbows when the rain stops and the sun comes out. Then an arc-shaped curve may appear in the sky. Sometimes it is pale, sometimes it is bright, but you can always see the seven colours – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. The coloured stripes are about the same size as each other. They are side-by-side, yet each is as important as the others. It wouldn’t look half so nice if one of the colours wasn’t there – or if one of the colours was far bigger and brighter than the rest. It is the same with a Rainbow, Brownie or Guide unit – every girl is just as important as each other, no more and no less, and each girl should be good friends with all the rest. Are you friends with all the other girls in your unit, not just your best friends? Do you enjoy being equal with the others? Do you try to do your share of the work, as well as enjoy your share of the fun?
    --------------------
    Every moment, a child is born somewhere on earth. At the same time as you were born, another child was born in another country. At that age you knew no prejudices, hatred or envy. As you grew, you began to discover borders. You learned what is "home" and what is "away". You found that borders are important to us. They make us feel safe if we are on the right side. What is on the other side? Are the apples more tasty there?

Most borders are invented by humans. Over time, people have hurt one another and our planet by arguing, and fighting about borders. In Guiding, we have friends around the world. There are 26 million Guides and Scouts and, we have something very important in common, in spite of borders. We have a lot to share and teach each other. Everyone can do something to make the world more peaceful; together we can do something great.

(Message of peace from the Swedish Guide and Scout Association)

3. The Following User Likes fenris Post:

Red-x is offline Pre-Warrented Rainbow Leader Division Commissioner (350+) Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class5000 Experience Points

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

I wear the pin of a Girl Scout; I try to live the Law.
    I have often said the Promise, when life held only flaws.
    But it's not the pin nor the Promise, nor just the Law I live
    That causes me to love this Scouting - It's the feeling Scouting can give.
    You have to live it to know it: When the sun has sunk down low
    You must sing with other Girl Scouts, around the campfire's glow.
    You must plan a cookout with them, and have it spoiled by the rain,
    You must sing instead of crying, and make the plans again.
    You should hike for many a mile, under a clear blue sky.
    Then sleep in the open country, and watch the stars go by.
    There are no words to express it, it can't be told in song.
    You just must experience it; it will not take you long.
    It is brought out when you are singing, as loud as you can sing.
    And again in the peaceful silence, when a flag is taking wing.
    Then when you salute Old Glory, you know that you belong,
    And Taps cannot end this feeling, after the day is gone.
    You will want to meet tomorrow, in hope that you can live
    To pass on some of this feeling, only Scouting can give.
    So it's not the pin nor Promise, nor just the Law I live,
    That cause me to love Girls Scouting - it's the feeling Scouting can give.

I seem to have this in a file on my computer. i dont know where it came from but im sure you could adapt the words?
    Click Here for Challenge EWE: A Challenge for the totally baaa-rmy!!

"Guides and Scouts will only have had their day when children themselves have had their day"

Liked 234 Times in 143 Posts

there's some lovely ones for all kinds of occaisions in the Senses book

http://girlguidingukshop.co.uk/produ....aspx?pid=6309

Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts

I've attached the District Thinking Day wordy bit I did last year. The different coloured pieces were read out by different girls/adults, bless 'em!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Liked 304 Times in 190 Posts

Candles around the World (for Thinking Day or other occasion)

SETTING:

One large candle (preferably multi-coloured). Place it in the middle of the table.

Six smaller candles (preferably in different colours, you can also use different shapes). Place these around the table.

ACTION:
    Light the six candles as the following are read...

I light this candle in friendship for all people who are older or younger, taller or shorter or richer or poorer than me.

I light this candle in friendship for all people who worship differently to me.

I light this candle in friendship for all people of a different nationality or ethnic group to me.

I light this candle in friendship for all people who are a different colour to me.

I light this candle in friendship with all my sister guides around the world

I light this candle for me, for I am unique and special.

This final candle is different from the rest; it's unique just as we are all unique. We are all different and yet, like this candle, we all glow from the inside. Cherish the fact that underneath we are all the same but on the outside we are all different!
    I only went to teach first aid then they found I had been in navy and could tie knots and sew and cook in and out doors and, and, and ??? I was lumberd some one has moved the exit door I cant find the way out
    reached 65 Found the Exit door but people still keep closeing it when I get to it

I'm a moderator for the forum. If you have a problem contact me or a fellow mod (our names are in blue) - when we're online our lights are green

8. The Following 2 Users Say They Like jim Post:

Crazy Chess Champion!
    Blog Entries
    Liked 1,897 Times in 1,297 Posts

this week at rainbows I kept things simple

turned lights out and had battery operated candle

and then just said things like

thinking day is about thinking about guiding, brownies and rainbows around the world
    some of which don't have enough food to eat and are straving hungry all the time
    some don't have doctors or dentists
    many don't have even schools
    loads don't have toys, or sweets or computers
    some have to work to get some food for their familes to eat
    Love is something if you give it away you'll end up having more
    Volunteers do not get paid. Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless