Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist parents angry at Brownies for forcing the praise of God ontheir girl

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Default Atheist parents angry at Brownies for forcing the praise of God ontheir girl

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/872000-a...-on-their-girl

Did you hear this on the news today? What do you think?

------------------------------------------

Maddie has been in the group for the past six months but has yet to take the pledge, as her atheist parents object to the wording.

She was told she had to stick to the exact wording of the group’s promise to become a fully-fledged Brownie.

The pledge reads: ‘I promise that I will do my best, to love my God, to serve the Queen and my country, to help other people and to keep the Brownie Guide law.’

Her parents, Barry and Juliette Willett, are furious the 2nd Crawley Down Brownies troop in West Sussex has refused to alter the wording so their daughter could make the promise.

‘We don’t have a belief in God and our daughter is yet to make her decision,’ Mrs Willett said.

‘It’s a big decision for her to make and it would be offensive for an atheist to say they love God.’

The troop has declined to comment but Girlguiding UK said there was no reason why the Brownie pledge could not be altered.

A spokeswoman said: ‘Not having a defined faith does not preclude membership.’

Liked 168 Times in 47 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Hummm... Wonder if CHQ will look at rewording the Promise to something like the Canadian one. I have three helpers who can't go (and would go) into uniform because of having to make it and them not wanting religion in there.
    The Girl Scout Centennial Challenge - perfect for 2012
    helping to raise money to grow Guiding in our area and celebrate 100 years of Girl Scouts USA

the work of today is the history of tomorrow, and we are its makers - Juliette Gordon Low

Liked 254 Times in 149 Posts
    Total Downloaded

that's mad the new becoming a Brownie books are even asterisked to say you can change this bit of the promise!

Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I think it is so pathetic... it isnt news worthy

5. The Following User Likes dizsiebubba Post:

Liked 94 Times in 51 Posts
    Total Downloaded

I'm atheist and i just say the same promise and have done whenever i have renewed it. As it says 'my god' i take that as being what i believe in, which is science, and reason and experiment. It's just simpler to say 'my god' than say "the deity or deities I chose to worship or the greater reasons of how the world and life works" its just to fit as many is as few words. I have no problem with the promise and i would (and have) to parents.

Although if GGUK says you can change it and parents are kicking up a fuss then change it and everyone is happy. Although I would avoid changing it as it makes the child stand out from the others, and also it is meant to be the common standard we all work towards and if everyone changes it at their whim what would be the point of having it at all??
    visit my shop on facebook to see guiding stuff I make
    https://www.facebook.com/HolmesMadeNovelties

or visit my folksy shop for gifts
    http://folksy.com/shops/quantumlottie

7. The Following User Likes Quantumlottie Post:

Liked 100 Times in 41 Posts
    Total Downloaded

‘We don’t have a belief in God and our daughter is yet to make her decision,’ Mrs Willett said.

‘It’s a big decision for her to make and it would be offensive for an atheist to say they love God.’

So she's yet to make her decision, but she's an atheist??? The point of the Promise is that until the moment someone decides they do not believe in a God of any kind, they can continue to make the Promise. Therefore this girl can make her Promise, if her parents don't let their atheist beliefs get in the way!

That's my take on the article anyway.

9. The Following 4 Users Say They Like Panda Post:

Space Invaders Champion! Block n Roll Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 3

Powys (Mid Wales)/Shropshire (West Midlands)
    Liked 347 Times in 223 Posts
    Total Downloaded

The troop has declined to comment but Girlguiding UK said there was no reason why the Brownie pledge could not be altered.
    So are GGUK not helping the unit? Shouldn't they be saying currently there is not alternative for atheists but we will look into it?

11. The Following User Likes RMT Post:

Liked 963 Times in 456 Posts
    Total Downloaded

"Pledge"? "Troop"?

Sounds to me like a couple of people desperate for their 15 seconds of fame and little more; it sounds more like their issue not their poor child's.

13. The Following 3 Users Say They Like FPG Post:

Liked 963 Times in 456 Posts
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RMT View Post
    So are GGUK not helping the unit? Shouldn't they be saying currently there is not alternative for atheists but we will look into it?
    Well they're not reviewing the promise so why would they say that? You can hardly expect GGUK to pander to every poorly reported piece of journalism and start jumping on bandwagons. It's made very clear that 'my God' is taken to represent spirituality, whatever that is for an individual.

Though it seems Australia Guide Assoc has started a promise review as part of their centenary.

Liked 498 Times in 252 Posts
    Total Downloaded

http://tinyurl.com/3jc7pxb

Seems like a different version of the above article.
    When you dream, dream big; and even when you think you are dreaming big - dream bigger still.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast