• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Bonfire Theme

Hi we are having a Bonfire theme next week, i've got a few ideas but not enough to fill two hours so if anyone has ideas i would love to hear from you .
thanks

Vicki Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hiya

Here's what we have planned

Chocolate sparklers - Chocolate fingers dipped in jam and covered in hundreds and thousands
Exploding rockets - fill small film canisters with vinegar and a little bi carbonate soda, put the lid on turn upside down and watch it rocket away
Melting Marshmallows - over tealights
Sparklers - Will be taking the girls outside and giving them a sparkler each
Hotdogs - We will be making them hot dogs
Bonfire wordsearches

fuzz

just fuzz =D
our meeting falls on november 5th, so we're having an 'indoor fireworks night' with all sorts of fizzing and popping activities such as making sherbert, which they love to do!

edible bonfires!!

Hi all,

A great activitie to do for Bonfire night is edible bonfires. Take a round biscuit and using matchmakers for the logs build them up into a teepee shape using icing to hold them in place at the bottom.For the flames I use red, yellow and orangeshoelaces(any other sweets in this colour also works). Lastly if there is room on the biscuit I use mini marshmallows and use them as logs for sitting on round the outside.

I've tried this with all sections and they always want to do it again and again.

I hope this helps

Tigger

Thanks everyone i will definately do them, not sure about the exploding rocket one how much does it explode , we're in a church hall and right opposite an old peoples complex. we don't want to kill anyone off.

sussex_snowy

Veteran (100+ posts)
We did a sausage sizzle and ate them by candlelight. The girls made lanterns out of jam jars and decorated them with tissue paper, put in a tea light and hey presto atmospheric lighting to eat the sausage by! Think I am getting hungry already...

beckysmith88

Rainbow and Senior Section leader
Hi all,

A great activitie to do for Bonfire night is edible bonfires. Take a round biscuit and using matchmakers for the logs build them up into a teepee shape using icing to hold them in place at the bottom.For the flames I use red, yellow and orangeshoelaces(any other sweets in this colour also works). Lastly if there is room on the biscuit I use mini marshmallows and use them as logs for sitting on round the outside.

I've tried this with all sections and they always want to do it again and again.

I hope this helps

Tigger

Thats what we have planned to do. The rainbows seem to LOVE decorating biscuits for some reason!!! we made face ones last term! Also going to do chalk on black paper pictures and sparklers! yay!

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our old favourite is the chalk pictures on black paper. We do it every year, the girls love it :)
Another similar idea (but maybe not with rainbows) is to punch holes in (firework shaped) patterns on a black sheet of paper with a sharp pencil or compass, so that when you hold it up to the light it looks like fireworks. You can stick bits of different coloured tissue onto the back to get the coloured effect as well.

Alternatively, draw fireworks in wax crayon on a piece of plain paper and the paint over the top with watered down black/dark blue paint or ink, so the wax shows through.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks everyone i will definately do them, not sure about the exploding rocket one how much does it explode , we're in a church hall and right opposite an old peoples complex. we don't want to kill anyone off.
Not tried them with vinegar, but when we did them with hot water it was more of a 'pop' than an explosion. Mind you, it didn't really work that well with the hot water.....

fuzz

just fuzz =D
ok...these are some things we might do for our 'indoor fireworks night (a night of fizzing and popping!)'

SHERBERT:
BOUNCING RAISINS:
HONEYCOMB TOFFEE:
ROCKET LAUNCH:
BLOW A BALLOON:

and i'd like to try the chocolate finger sparklers / edible bonfires to keep it tied in with fireworks night.

(grr...just spent ages cutting and pasting and reformatting from word so that the message looked legible in here, only to be told that the message was too long! hence i have attached the instructions for them all as a word file. please excuse the messiness of the document, i got annoyed with it and thought it best i just left it!)

Attachments