• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Can UH make promise

Pompey_Ranger

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don't think unit helpers could make the promise as a UH (as this group can also involve men)

The could make one as Trefoil Guild or a Guider or Senior Section (if they are the right age).

yzz

Veteran (100+ posts)
In past when unit-helper make promies but did not received badge I make with Young leader too or became wonful assisant guider I not good her. Now rainbow guider done promies but decide let rainbow have promies badge as wasn't enought money for both. I do hope one day rainbow unit give leadership badge it emashed wear ranger guide promies on guider uniform. when quaffion leader now rainbow guider. I feel bit not want there now as be took over by school teacher and nursery nurse and caring home feel left out so take over noughting can do.Feel left out too. i think time to moving to new unit now up longton.

They can make their promise but then they will no longer be a unit helper they will be an adult leader so would have to do the ALQ first. If they are 14-25 they could make their SS promise and become a young leader. But UH don't make a promise and stay a UH.

jolito

General dogsbody
They can make their promise but then they will no longer be a unit helper they will be an adult leader so would have to do the ALQ first. If they are 14-25 they could make their SS promise and become a young leader. But UH don't make a promise and stay a UH.
No, they will be Unit Helpers who have made the Promise!

"As members, female Unit helpers can make the Promise and wear the Promise badge."

https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/members_area__go/guiding_roles/unit_helpers.aspx

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
Also, you don't have to have done all your ALQ before taking your promise, it was one of the first things I did!

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I thought female unit helpers could elect/choose to be MEMBERS if they wanted to - then they'd just say same promise as us leaders and be noted on GO that they are members :) so effectively you can be unit helper - non member or unit helper - member

there is a part on the WR form for them to tick if they want to be members - then they'd get guiding magazine and be able to wear uniform and would also be paid for in census

jim

GuiderPlus
correct squirrel N but you dont have to say your promise to be a member
I am a member and officialy i cant make the promise

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
OK. I understand that we have Unit Helpers who are regular (ie weekly or bimonthly) and they have completed forms/CRB and we pay census for them
We can then have Unit Occasional Helpers who are non census paying because they are cleared but come and help out from time to time......... once or twice a term or for camps/expeditions.

My understanding is that both are members and both can be male or female, but the census bit is about the commitment to regular attendance.. both are members to show that we take helpers seriously

My further understanding is that UH in either category who are female can make the promise. But that is cos I have one UH of each type and have spent ages (possibly) getting it wrong with the manual........ the UOH is SS and I think has made her promise as SS. the UH is staunchly atheist and that is why she is a UH not a Leader.

Also, this bit about being members. Both my UH are members with membership numbers - which they need to have to be recorded on GO. I'm not sure how to get a cleared adult and show that they are clear for occasional events and not have them on GO. Also I believe the rules and categories were changed quite recently hence some confusion.

From GGUK:
Adult membership of Girlguiding UK is open to women and men over 18 who believe in the ethos of guiding and wish to support the organisation.

You don't need to be a volunteer to become a member.

A UH doesn't have to be a member.
An occasional helper can be a member. An occasional helper doesn't have to be disclosed (depends on their duties).

More from the GGUK site:
Will I have to make the Promise if I become a volunteer?
Unit Leaders and Assistant Leaders make the same version of the Promise as the Senior Section. Other volunteers are not required to do so.

Last edited:

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
I would interpret the *you don't need to be a volunteer to be a member* as - part of trefoil guild.

From a child protection view - I'd rather have non parent helpers who are helping out on a serious basis (weekly, bimonthly) to at least be cleared by GGUK. Mostly cos it's me that parents come to with concerns.

And. If there's a UH who doesn't want to be a member..............where is their *record* kept? On a piece of paper in my bag???? Once they are on GO they have a reg.number and appear as a member.

But a UH non-member is still put on GO! and they have a reg. number assigned. They are Recognised Volunteers - not members (check the membership status) column.
It's not just members who are on GO! eg DofE, Unit treasurer, Unit Administrator, Unit Occasional Helper etc

*you don't need to be a volunteer to be a member*. It can be anyone. You don't have to be involved with a Unit etc. My OH could become a member, so could my neighbours - they have no connection to Guiding, other than knowing me. Unlikely people not involved, somehow, in Guiding would want to pay Annual Subscription (just to get Guiding mag) but it's open to all adults so there you go.

Last edited:

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
I would interpret the *you don't need to be a volunteer to be a member* as - part of trefoil guild.
Let's say you had been a Leader but had to give up for a while because of work or family commitments. You might choose to stay an individual member not attached to any unit or district and you would just pay the CHQ part of census. You would receive guiding magazine and you would be a member but not a volunteer. I agree it is confusing.