• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Creative use of junk/recyclables please.

Can anyone help....I need really creative ways of using "junk" to decorate hats for a flower show. I need spectacular transformations of ordinary stuff. It's for Rainbow age, so nothing too complicated.
I keep seeing cardboard tubes and nothing else...help!
:speechless-022

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
using coloured ordinary tissues, concertina fold them and secure in middle (sticky tape/pipe cleaner) and then tease out the layers to make a carnation? or just scrunch up coloured cellophane/tissue paper and go for a multi-coloured flower look?

sallymoo1993

Guide Young Leader
You could just make a big collage on the using old sweet wrappers etc.
Erm you could make like bugs eyes with paper cups, or some other way of creating eyes, the hats could be part of an animal costume.
x

Squirrel-Nutkin

how about re-using cereal card.... cut into strips and turn into a hat frame and then cover with coloured bits of anything?

or go for colour themed recycling (recycle anything - crisp wrappers, old clothing cut up - anything) and go for a rainbow effect???? eg couple RED, couple ORANGE, couple YELLOW etc etc :idea3:

Squirrel-Nutkin

or your cardboard tubes could be stuck onto a "base-hat" and be the "vase" and make lots of flowers using egg boxes/other bits to put in the vases?

Yeah, squirrel, pipe cleaners are out and snotty tissues are a no go. See my problem?
But keep thinking people, I know you are all fab at coming up with great ideas.

Sorry to keep bringing up negatives, but my used foil gets covered in cooking fat.........
I've got some old gardening mags which should work around the flower show thing.

Maybe I'l cut the girls's hair and stick that on....ha ha ha...toenails...hmmmm.

Squirrel-Nutkin

how about some potato printing "flower" shapes on old paper/old envelopes and then cut them out when dry and stick them on? or cutting out flower shapes from old magazines/comics/catalogues (picking out the colours you wanted?)

Pompey_Ranger

Veteran (100+ posts)
How about post it notes? in different random colours - you can 'use' them by writing on them before you give them to your Rainbows, then they fit the 'used' bit :D

Coloured paper clips from your Guiders stash.

I was wondering about how to use those little windows from envelopes. Must be something...........................or maybe not.

The mind is beginning to bend.....potato peelings.....old toothburshes......earwax.

How about post it notes? in different random colours - you can 'use' them by writing on them before you give them to your Rainbows, then they fit the 'used' bit :D

Coloured paper clips from your Guiders stash.
I'm curious about this Guiders stash. I don't think I have one.

Sorry, I'm being facetious.

Pompey_Ranger

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was wondering about how to use those little windows from envelopes. Must be something...........................or maybe not.

The mind is beginning to bend.....potato peelings.....old toothburshes......earwax.
lol :D

Potato peeling could work as could other veggie peelings, make hats that are fully compostable! lol :p

broken pens / pencil / ones that have run out of ink.

Drink cartons.

crisp packets (would also get the foil effect if you turned them inside out)

Yeah Pompey, it could become really organic....carrot tops and broccoli stalks! I've got some left over pasta in the fridge....LOL!!

If I smoked, the girls could stick some dog ends on...ROFL.

This is making me laugh too much....I'll spill my tea.