• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Idea! Cutout Trefoil frames...my latest creative idea!

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
I had a sudden creative inspiration this morning, so decided to turn my idea into reality...

I would like to offer custom versions of these for sale:
DSCF5421.jpg DSCF5422.jpg DSCF5423.jpg

What do you think?

more photos here (on Facebook)

I could do them in different colours/textures, custom text or sizes.
The one above is just draft...I was testing whether the trefoils looked better with or without the circle, I've settled for without.
And they would be cut more carefully, with a sharper knife. And no extra lines on the reverse of the paper.

As I'm applying for IntOps this year, and would love to get selected for a GOLD trip, I thought I'd better have some fundraising ideas up my sleeve just in case, so this is one of them.

I will not be making any just yet though, because I should be doing uni work!!
(I will ringfence any money until I do go on any international Guiding trip in future, GOLD or otherwise)

Last edited:

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
I like! How much would you think of selling them for?
I'm not 100% sure yet. I would be selling them unframed (apart from local ones where I could frame them if needed & add on the frame price).

I've seen other paper-cut designs go for about £20-50 unframed, and larger ones up to £100!!!! But that's crazy prices, and I'd never sell them for that.
In essence, it's only paper (decent paper, but not expensive unless the background paper is extra special), my time...my creativity...and a few replacement knife blades...obviously still wanting to raise money because that's the idea!

I know someone who does custom paper cuts this size for about £6, but they are machine-cut, so quicker than hand-cut.

So I'm thinking around £6 - £10 maybe (£10 for extra complicated custom ones), plus postage (in hard backed envelopes).
Do you think that's a fair price? Would you pay that?

The background could be a map for your favourite place (or campsite!!) or a photo...anything really!

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
That's really good for hand cutting. You must have a staedy hand and a lot of patience!
Thanks! I've had a bit of practise this year, cutting out a lot of stuff for uni. Plus, I've discovered the swivel-blade knife, which helps soooo much with curves etc.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It's things like this that make me wish I had my own house...I'd definitely put one of these on the wall if I did! They're great :)

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
It's things like this that make me wish I had my own house...I'd definitely put one of these on the wall if I did! They're great :)
I wish I did too.....mum & I are currently taking over my brother's old room with Guiding stuff..And my latest rugby jersey is 'temporarily' on the wall in here too...can't wait 'till I get my own place, there's soooo much stuff I want to put on the walls & can't.

hellyc

Veteran (100+ posts)
These are amazing, well done you! (hope that doesnt sound patronising!) I would certainly love one (although i like the circles round the trefoils!!) And would make a fabulous christmas pressie for my mum also :)

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
Wow, thanks for the support already guys! :D I finish uni at the end of May, so can start making in June!
I'd better see if I can get more of that blue paper - it's 'pearlised' (metallic finish), which doesn't show on the photos, it's lovely. I have a few sheets left, will have to see if I can find more.
HellyC, I will try one with circles too!

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Wow, thanks for the support already guys! :D I finish uni at the end of May, so can start making in June!
I'd better see if I can get more of that blue paper - it's 'pearlised' (metallic finish), which doesn't show on the photos, it's lovely. I have a few sheets left, will have to see if I can find more.
HellyC, I will try one with circles too!
Do you have a branch of The Range locally?? They do loads of craft stuff including some lovely papers and card.

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
Do you have a branch of The Range locally?? They do loads of craft stuff including some lovely papers and card.
Yes, I will be looking in there & in hobbycraft aswell as other places. The blue paper I used came from 'the paper shop' but they've closed now.