• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

First aid at joint events

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Got a query,

When I go on unit trips I take first aid and unit accident book.

But when attending an event with other units and first aid is provided who provides the accident book? Thinking of a day event not overnight

Just thinking for when we arrange the district event.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
I would think the nominated First Aider would be responsible for all recording. We normally attach a note to the Health Form of any girl and would fill in a GG Accident form as well if severe enough and deal with as directed by GG manual. Once parents have been informed and providing a written record does not need to be kept then the Health forms etc are destroyed/shredded at the end of the event.
Not sure if a "book" should be kept as that would contravene data protection?
Details are in the GG manual on page http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/default.aspx?page=706

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I would provide a separate 'book' for the event, it doesn't have to be a major event to record things. We have an obligation to retain details of any treatment given, it likewise we need to keep details confidential so the record should be kept by whoever gives the treatment.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I'm pretty sure schools have to keep accident records for a while as once child turns 18 he/she has a period (something like 3 years) in which they can sue/make claim in their own right? I'm not quite sure of the full details, but I think accident write ups do need to be kept a while...

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Just had a quick look again on GG - If incident requires a GG accident form then that has to be sent to CHQ for recording and forwarding to AON. All copies should be destroyed. Otherwise - Health Information forms (administered by First aider) - If no treatment is given, destroy after the event. If treatment is given retain for three years.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I am thinking a day event not overnights so there would be no health form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Whoever is the nominated first aider for the event (if someone has been designated to take that role), would supply her own first aid kit and would record any treatment given.

If there is no central first aider (which for smaller events there might easily not be) then each unit should have a first aid kit with them to use if required for their members, and the unit Leaders should record any first aid treatment which they give to their girls.

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
When we have done day event in the past we have recorded any treatment on the back of the consent forms and then kept them. Either you would be with your girls and administering the first aid or if it was serious enough for another leader to do it I would have thought they would need to call you to attend anyway to check consent etc and again this would be recorded on form and possibly the first aider would keep their own records.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
At district events, we just have each unit being responsible for their own first aid. It is much easier that way - girls will typically go to their own leader if they get hurt anyway.

For our district pack holiday, we will be doing central first aid, so that is a bit different. Everything will be centralised, with a small team responsible for the first aid.