• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Food for a G2G

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
A group of friends and I are heading over to Brownsea for a weekend and I was hoping you guys could come up with some meal ideas :)

So please post some fab ideas that can be adapted for special food requirements, for about 24 people and can be transferred across to the island easily!

Thankees x

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I was gonna suggest spaghetti bolognaise.

can easily do a veggie version, or gluten free version.
spaghetti doesn't take up that much space in a bag and you get a lot in a pack. veggies to go in don't take up too much weight either (eg peppers are light to transport).

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
"The kitchen is fully equipped to cater for 24 and it has a gas cooker with grill, 8 hob burners and two ovens. The store has a fridge freezer."

Quoted from the booking details so I don't make any errors!! :D

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I was gonna suggest spaghetti bolognaise.

can easily do a veggie version, or gluten free version.
spaghetti doesn't take up that much space in a bag and you get a lot in a pack. veggies to go in don't take up too much weight either (eg peppers are light to transport).
That was one of my thoughts :) And I like veggies that don't weigh a lot! :D

Broken.Owner

Archery Goddess and Moderator
GuiderPlus
something with rice like a mild curry or sweet and sour - good for gluten free, rice is lighter than potatoes and most people will eat it and it goes with most things, you can get a lot of the pour on sauce type things that you can always split the group if some will eat one but not another.

HanSeeingRed

Bananaface :oD
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Can't talk for your veggies but I love beanfeast!
Soo quick and easy to make up with your sketty and a pack weighs next to nothing. It's my fav for v fest!

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
personally I know that sandwiches will always be fine for lunch for me. if it's indoors then doing major cooking for every meal isn't essential. for something hot at lunch time soup would be just as good for me rather than say jacket potatoes (which will weigh a fair bit).

Its only a weekend, so rice 1 night, pasta another sounds fine - or could have cous cous for example. leave the spuds on the mainland! I'm sure everyone will cope!

laughingowl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ok - sounding dumb here - is camp stew the same as a stew i'd make in my kitchen???
Yep! Just shove in what you want! Get some carrots in it possibly serve it with peas and cabbage (red) you just don't do what our scouts did and pour it in complete with the vinegar!!!

Broken.Owner

Archery Goddess and Moderator
GuiderPlus
yeah, you can get packets of soup cheaply (and nice ones too) and they weigh very little so people won't mind carrying them.

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Can't talk for your veggies but I love beanfeast!
Soo quick and easy to make up with your sketty and a pack weighs next to nothing. It's my fav for v fest!

English please Han! Very narrow experience in cookery here! I MUST expand my knowledge in the kitchen!

Great ideas with soup and couscous etc guys. Hilz - I definately agree with leaving the spuds on the mainland! Can you imagine the weight??!!

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
i make a dish at home which is like bolognaise (so mince, tin tomato, onion, tomato puree, herbs, seasoning and a bit of water or stock) but add in courgettes and sweetcorn then serve with pasta. you basically fry the mince and then bung in the rest and leave to simmer for half hour or so then cook the pasta and serve. it's very filling and tastes good. probably works with quorn but have never tried.

was going to suggest shepherds pie as you could always use packet mash (they peel them with their little knives)

i always enjoy a huge one pot stew.

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
There is, and there is a land rover which will take the stuff to the lodge for us, but we still have to get the food over on the boat and there are limits to the amount of stuff you can take over without extra charges.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
By extra charge to take it over, do you mean if you turn up with loads of extra bags of shopping? What if poeple took a bag of food each? Maybe taking a bigger rucksack than necessary so it can go in there? Easier to carry - I used to do this in the days before I had a car and had to do my shopping on the bus. I found I generally couldn't carry heavy bags of shopping, but in my 65L rucksack it was fine.