• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

general meeting games

jim

GuiderPlus
just wrap them in cotton wool and isolate them so no one comes into contact and gets hurt
our girls have played it over 32 years and had no injuries other than some on slipping when cornering at end of ladder she got a graze

Last edited:

jayjay

Guide and Ranger Guider
As a Guide I used to love British Bulldogs - that got banned after maybe the second or third broken bone. My husband, who was a Scout leader, tells of a game that involved a heavey item (like a large rock) tied to a rope and swung round in circles for the boys to jump over - they didn't ban it even after a few trips to casualty.
Surely the whole point of ladders is that they make a ladder? We just tell them to space out well, look where they are going, and sit on their hands.

sammie

Veteran (100+ posts)
we still play ladders and touch wood for as long as i can remember have only had one injury and tht was a splinter off the floor in a girls hand after sitting down!

JackieP

Brownie & Guide Leader & County GO! User
Surely the whole point of ladders is that they make a ladder? We just tell them to space out well, look where they are going, and sit on their hands.
Ditto - Plus it's amazing how more careful they are if they know that they'll have to stop playing if two people get hurt...

JackieP

JHC

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does anyone know a rowdy game for lots of girls of different ages that can be done in a small space? We are planning a day out for our Brownies and maybe Rainbows and or Guides, there is a hall if it is cold and wet but we don't want to spend all day doing craft and chinese whispers! Something that involves them standing up and sitting down on the spot a lot maybe - there won't be space for running about.

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
Musical statues, or sleeping lions is sort of rowdy but also a few mins of quite as they have to stand still or lye down without moving when the music stops, all ages love them and can get very competitive.

then when some are out u can get them to help u spot movement

Last edited:

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Or the bean game (i.e runner bean, french bean, broad bean etc.) and then the girls that are out can see who is slowest to change.

dawn

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
cat and mouse involves running only in a small space. Is that any good?

An activity from Right Now is (don't know name) they have to get a message from one person to another. They are at opposite ends on room, and everyone in between is jumping (on spot?) and shouting to stop the message getting through.

seanchai

Veteran (100+ posts)
Years ago we played a game with the Guides ... I can't remember the rules EXACTLY but you can explore your ingenuity:) It was quite popular.

First we explained that a girl standing straight was "one".
Standing with arms crossed made "five".
I don't recall what "ten" was - arms akimbo?

The games leader would call out a question. The patrols would run from one end of the long room and form up the answer ... first patrol to answer correctly "won". It was 'fairly quiet' :)

Questions were made up - examples 'How many legs has a spider?" "How many stars in the Big Dipper?" "How old is a Brownie when she advances to Guides?"
"How many pennies in your weekly dues?"

Jean in Winnipeg
(who ought to re-introduce this one. Any ideas for a name for it??)

sussex_snowy

Veteran (100+ posts)
Do you have a parachute ?- there are loads of games for inside with it. Ours like washing machine, running under it according to colour allocated, and bouncing bits of paper or other light articles off it.

*alli*

ooooh Im now Brownies GiC!!
for games at the start of brownies ours used to play games such as 'Whats the time mr wolf', 'simon says' 'tick' and generally games where they run around!! one of their favourites seemed to be anythin that involved them chasin me or tryin 2pull my arms off!! lol!
just wondered does anyone elese join in with games? only the other guider used to give me funny looks when i played!

Smartie

Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yeah i normally get roped in to joining in when there are odd numbers...and for some gasmes like charlies over the water, all the leaders play. i think it depends on the game and how many girls you have

sammie

Veteran (100+ posts)
i play some games cause i like to do so like broken windows and with the parachute, and our units new favourite game lose a leg (a bit like donkey but you lose limbs instead of letters)

this is very ot but with the lose a leg game its more a case of the unit against me as they all throw the ball to me everytime - hence i drop it more so im always lost my legs ages before anyone else, and if i go to fall over when on one leg and accidenty put the other leg down then im obviously cheating - i still have a game in hand with my unit as i promised them at camp and we ran out of time.

anyway yeah i do join in with some games but some just arent appropraite to do so or there are equal numbers of guides etc

Smartie

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've never heard of Broken Windows or Donkey/Lose a leg .... sorry but could someone tell me them?

sammie

Veteran (100+ posts)
sorry i should have really explianed to start with;

broken windows - all stand in a circle with legs shoulder width apart and feet touching each other so no gaps and basically a ball or 2 goes in the cirlcle and the aim is to get it through anothers legs and if it goes through your legs ur out - you can only use ur hands to keep it away abit like goal keeping jst got to keep the ball on the floor otherwise it hits people in the face and hurts.

donkey - is just catch but if you drop the ball you start with the letter D, then if you drop it again you get an 0, then an N until you have spelt DONKEY then your out

Lose of limb - is just like catch but if you drop it or fail to catch it then you have to run round the outside of the circle and if no-one else drops it before you get back to a place then you lose a limb - first a leg, then the other one, then an arm then your other arm and then your out. but each time you have to run round and when you lose a leg you have to balance on the other and when you lose both legs you have to go on you knees etc

hope that explains it a little bit

HanSeeingRed

Bananaface :oD
Staff member
GuiderPlus
our Guides used to love the cup game,
four teams (one in each corner behind a circle) each girl is given a number 1-4 etc, and a big group of cups in a circle in the middle of the room, when a girls number is called out she has to go and collect 4 cups (one at a time) and take them back to her teams corner (placing them in their circle) the first team to get four wins a point, the twist comes as the girl running can steal cups from other teams to stop them winning, the rest of her team loves shouting which group to steal from etc!

coolandme

Ex-Brownie GiC, Ranger, Tawny Owl
The old GiC came up with a game they used to play years ago called Arches. You get two girls to make an arch and the others run round in a circle going through the arch, when you blow a whistle they catch the person in the arch. When you get two people out they make a second arch. Keep going until you have a few arches and allow the first pair to join in. Our Brownies really enjoyed it, and it wears them out easily!

StarOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
We play a version of rock, paper scissors called Wizards, Elves, Giants.
They make 2 teams at each end of the room, and decide together whether they will be Giants, Wizards or elves - then run to the middle of the room and do battle!
Wizards beat Giants by casting a spell on them
Giants beat Elves by stamping on them
Elves beat Wizards by running through their legs
If your team beats the other team, you chase them back to their end of the room - anybody who gets caught joins the other team.
Giants, Wizards and Goblins!!!!
One of my favourites!!

StarOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
our group has banned ladders - risk of the girls lifting there legs or tripping and falling on others legs, poss breaking them.
ladders on chairs can be safer and you can adapt it slightly.
basically the girls sit on chairs in 2 rows, facing each other, with plently of space between the rows.
number the pairs opposite, as in ladders.
same principle as ladders but no legs to fall over.
to adapt it, when the pair run, everyone moves up to fill the gap, meaning some people will have a new number, can cause slight havoc when you call number 10 (of 10) so number 1 has to run around to fill number 10 before the girls running get back to be number 9s.

Hope that makes sense!