• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Gifts for shoe boxes

blue_star

Brownie, Guide and Senior Section Leader
GuiderPlus
Hi everyone
I am running short on ideas for what senior section could make for the boxes. We have access to material so bags are an obvious choice but I have heard of making bracelets with woven strips of material but can not find a how to or what to use to make it join.

If anyone else has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
what about using the embroidery type threads and making friendship bracelets?

personally I think bags are a brilliant idea, and could be used by the recipient for so many things? for example a simple drawstring could be used to keep their toothbrush, flannel, soap, toothpaste in? girls could even decorate the bags with fabric pens or embroidery?

or what about a simple tube type bag and buying some cheap combs to slot into them?

or if you have cheap pony type beads, perhaps could just make up some simple jewellery?

re your strips of material idea for bracelets, could you perhaps just do plaits with the strips and tie ends together to make into a simple loop? (think simple bags would personally be a better idea and more useful for the recipient?)

Last edited:

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Are these for the charity shoe box collections? If so, what we recommend may depend on the organisation collecting the boxes.

blue_star

Brownie, Guide and Senior Section Leader
GuiderPlus
Hi
Yes it is for the Operation Christmas Child boxes run by the Samaritans Purse. We have a big checking centre near us so instead of making up a shoe box we generally make items to be added to boxes that do not have much in them.

Think we will go for the bag making idea!

Thanks

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I prefer to support other causes as I disagree with some of the reports about the organisation's procedures.

StarOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I used to think the same Wren but I worked in a school in Leeds that had a large intake of African pupils, a few of whom told me about how they had received a shoebox themselves, and how grateful they had been for it. They were the most generous when we were filling them as they knew what it was like to receive one. It brings a year to my eye every time I think of it. X