• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Girlguiding survey: new uniform for YLs

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
I've no idea what those blues look like. Is the mid blue the same as the unit helper polo shirt blue? Is the navy the same as the leader polo shirt? They certainly didn't look that way on screen.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
It seems a bit odd to distinguish between ranger and non-ranger YLs - when they are being YLs we don't want the younger girls to view them differently. Although maybe I'm looking too much into this and the girls won't really notice anyway (I guess they don't seem to distinguish much between UHs, leaders, YLs, etc as it is). I think there is currently some confusion as to what YLs have to where so this will clear that up (albeit a very expensive solution). I've done the poll though and quite like all the options (well not so keen keep on the really grey one), glad they haven't thrown in any wacky colours and it is in line with the other leader and ranger uniforms

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
YLs need to be quickly distinguishable from adults, mainly for their own protection in not being put into tricky situations (e.g. being left in sole charge of girls, or being at the receiving end of a parental complaint) by others assuming that they are older. I'd be wary of anything which looks too much like either of the Leader polo shirts, or the members' polo, for this reason.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
YLs need to be quickly distinguishable from adults, mainly for their own protection in not being put into tricky situations (e.g. being left in sole charge of girls, or being at the receiving end of a parental complaint) by others assuming that they are older. I'd be wary of anything which looks too much like either of the Leader polo shirts, or the members' polo, for this reason.
Thinking about it, these are things that happened to me as a YL, however I don't think the uniform colour would have made that much difference because most parents wouldn't know/care about the difference - half the leaders were in white and half navy anyway. And I think I desperately wanted to be a proper leader anyhow so was definitely wanting to fit in with them :)

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thinking about it, these are things that happened to me as a YL, however I don't think the uniform colour would have made that much difference because most parents wouldn't know/care about the difference - half the leaders were in white and half navy anyway. And I think I desperately wanted to be a proper leader anyhow so was definitely wanting to fit in with them :)
Oh gosh yes, so did I (although I did like the aqua!). And you're right about parents not necessarily knowing.

But as a leader, I want to be able to see who's who across a field or a large hall - especially at a big event or camp, where you might not know everyone. When you are doing a quick scan or risk assessment, or looking for someone who can be left in charge, it's useful to be able to identify role at a glance.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Parents probably wouldn't know, the problem is, nor would anyone else. We had an incident happen at a joint event, several adults had to go and assist with it, leaving a minimal number of adults to supervise the main group of girls, temporarily. We later found out that, unknown to us, two of those in adult leader uniform who had been left to supervise the main group were actually both under 18. Had anything happened at that point, it would have had major repercussions. Had they been wearing a Young Leader uniform, we would not have left them in charge, even temporarily.